snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 28 November 2016, 02:37 AM

Default Is the debunking of the "8 spiders" myth an urban legend itself?

I haven't posted in years, but am still a fan and regular reader of snopes. My son (knowing I'm a fan of the site) recently showed me a video called "8 Spiders" by Lemmino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjlKIjLWq-Y

The main point of the video was to show that even trusted sources can be taken in by false information and lead to circular reasoning. His example was the snopes debunking of the 8 spiders UL: http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp

According to the post, the main source for the origination of the legend was an article by Lisa Birgit Holst, which Lemmino was not able to track down despite putting in a lot of effort. He also pointed out that "Lisa Birgit Holst" is an anagram for "This is a big troll."

I was sure I knew what was going on and went to snopes to show my son that the spiders UL must be a lost legend that they made up themselves. But no! I did some googling and everything just came back to the snopes post or sites saying that snopes had been trolled.

Please help me clear this up!
Old 28 November 2016, 05:35 AM

Perhaps the preparation of "a delicious irony" involves the vigorous use of a certain wooden spoon. (ETA That video is the most hilarious thing I've seen in a week. Granted, it's been a rather humourless week. But I got a good, hearty laugh just imagining the amazing prowess of this fact checker!)

Last edited by ganzfeld; 28 November 2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 28 November 2016, 01:18 PM

I think the fact that Snopes posted their sources shows that they are not the ones who were trolled.