snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 24 November 2016, 06:38 PM

I'll be putting some more Brandon Sanderson books in my to-be-read-next queue. He can have some dark stuff, but everything generally works out in the end. Characters I like, fast-moving plots, characters don't do egregiously stupid things, and the likable people end up...mostly...OK.

Come to think of it, that description also kind of fits Lois McMaster Bujold's books, and I really loved A Civil Campaign. The comedy of manners style works well with Miles' hyperactive behavior. Also, this book has IMNSHO the best worst dinner party ever.

I'll also throw in one of my current favorite comics, the Ryan North/Erica Henderson authored Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. Every time I read them, my stress level ratchets down several notches. *bad singing* "Squirrel Girl, Squirrel Girl! Powers of both squirrel and girl! Finds some nuts, eats some nuts. Kicks bad guys' evil butts!"
Old 25 November 2016, 03:36 AM

The Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series by Spider Robinson, which started out as a series of short stories in Analog magazine starting back in the 60s and eventually became several collected editions and full length novels. It's about a bunch of regulars in a bar who stumble across a bunch of scifi problems and solve them via empathy, acceptance and understanding. It came up in discussion in another thread last week so I hauled out my copy of the first book and read it again and it was just like bumping into a bunch of old friends.

The cast of characters is amazingly diverse in terms of race, ability and sexual preference but it did take Robinson quite a long time to introduce any female characters, but at least he eventually recognised the omission and did something to change it.

Edit: a fair warning if anyone is considering checking it out, there are a lot of puns. A lot of puns. No really, brace yourself for the punaggedon.