snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 06 January 2015, 06:19 PM

Whalephant Game show contestant wins elephant

Comment: I've heard that a man once won an elephant on The Price is Right. The
elephant was of course meant as a joke prize, but the contestant insisted
on getting the animal. It was then delivered to his house in Texas. (This
later inspired the "Bart Gets An Elephant" episode of The Simpsons.)

The only source for this information I could find is the following page:
http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/cul...ies/price.html (which Wikipedia links to).

Is there any truth to this anecdote?
Old 06 January 2015, 07:25 PM

That sounds more like Let's Make a Deal than The Price Is Right. The Price Is Right didn't really do the joke prize the way Let's Make a Deal did.

Either way, sounds more like someone misremembering an episode where a contestant won a white elephant prize.
Old 06 January 2015, 09:13 PM

TV

I think the original The Price Is Right (not the 70s revival version) did.
Old 06 January 2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Either way, sounds more like someone misremembering an episode where a contestant won a white elephant prize.
I have not seen Let's Make a Deal since the Monty Hall days, but a joke prize of an elephant is entirely plausible. Many times they had various animals, such as goats, donkeys, swaybacked old horses, etc. I do not recall actual wild animals, but Indian elephants are often sufficiently domesticated for the purpose. Your 'white elephant mistake' suggestion sounds less plausible to me, if only because there were so many 'white elephant' prizes, than that there was a recollection of an actual elephant being a prize. Now, whether someone actually said they wanted to keep it is another matter.
Old 10 January 2015, 10:17 PM

TV

According to Wikipedia(sorry, don't know how to copy/ paste on this phone) , winners of Zonk prizes generally exchange them for small consolation prizes, but they do legally own the Zonks.
Old 10 April 2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I have not seen Let's Make a Deal since the Monty Hall days, but a joke prize of an elephant is entirely plausible. Many times they had various animals, such as goats, donkeys, swaybacked old horses, etc. I do not recall actual wild animals, but Indian elephants are often sufficiently domesticated for the purpose. Your 'white elephant mistake' suggestion sounds less plausible to me, if only because there were so many 'white elephant' prizes, than that there was a recollection of an actual elephant being a prize. Now, whether someone actually said they wanted to keep it is another matter.
I used to watch this show when I was a kid and sick and I remember very specifically one episode where they had some kind of wild cat as a gag prize. It may have been a leopard or a bobcat but the only reason I remember this is thinking it would be SO COOL to win that. So yeah they at least on one occasion on Lets Make a Deal had an actual wild animal as a gag prize (It was on a leash attached to some post on a fake set)