snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 19 December 2015, 04:10 PM

Jaded Celebrity grocery store misbehavior

Comment: I read this account about a musician I know. It was too far-fetched so I googled and lo found more examples, all about different people. If interested see (what appears to be) the full text #6 below.

1) I saw Flying Lotus a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday…
http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/inde...pic=338354.234

2) I saw Ryan Gosling at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday…
https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/59541101/

3) I saw Val Kilmer in a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday…
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ent-1665109998

4) MORE
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ont+of+my+face.

5) MORE
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...winked+at+me.+

6) FULL MESSAGE
I saw ___ in a grocery store in Culver City yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a ****** and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?" I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Old 19 December 2015, 05:07 PM

Even if this did happen, "celebrity behaves badly" is a dog-bites-man story.
Old 19 December 2015, 11:31 PM

Since pretty much the exact same story is retold about many people, there's no reason to accept any specific one. It's a rather uninteresting story to begin with so I don't see any reason to go to the Wayback Machine and try to find its origins. Just "Legend", I think.
Old 20 December 2015, 11:40 AM

This is an anecdote I read in a book about the beginnings of the personal computer revolution: Accidental Empires, by "Robert X. Cringely" (a psuedonym for Mark Stephens). It is at least third hand, assuming it's anywhere near true. Ah! "Cringely" has e-published the book online (albeit chopped up into entries on his blog, back in the 2013 section), so I can cut & paste. This isn't truly "celebrity behaving badly", but it borders the topic, and may also provide some small degree of insight into the general topic.

Quote:
William H. Gates III stood in the checkout line at an all-night convenience store near his home in the Laurelhurst section of Seattle. It was about midnight, and he was holding a carton of butter pecan ice cream. The line inched forward, and eventually it was his turn to pay. He put some money on the counter, along with the ice cream, and then began to search his pockets.

“I’ve got a 50-cents-off coupon here somewhere,” he said, giving up on his pants pockets and moving up to search the pockets of his plaid shirt.

The clerk waited, the ice cream melted, the other customers, standing in line with their root beer Slurpies and six-packs of beer, fumed as Gates searched in vain for the coupon.

“Here,” said the next shopper in line, throwing down two quarters.

Gates took the money.

“Pay me back when you earn your first million,” the 7-11 philanthropist called as Gates and his ice cream faded into the night.

The shoppers just shook their heads. They all knew it was Bill Gates, who on that night in 1990 was approximately a three billion dollar man.

I figure there’s some real information in this story of Bill Gates and the ice cream. He took the money. What kind of person is this? What kind of person wouldn’t dig out his own 50 cents and pay for the ice cream? A person who didn’t have the money? Bill Gates has the money. A starving person? Bill Gates has never starved. Some paranoid schizophrenics would have taken the money (some wouldn’t, too), but I’ve heard no claims that Bill Gates is mentally ill. And a kid might take the money—some bright but poorly socialized kid under, say, the age of 9.

Bingo.
Old 20 December 2015, 12:54 PM

Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Even if this did happen, "celebrity behaves badly" is a dog-bites-man story.
Do you really think so? Of course, we hear about many bizarre celebrity stories, but given how many people there are that qualify as celebrities enough to warrant getting coverage, it's still pretty thin. And an awful lot of the weird-celebrit stories are definitely staged, like Lady Gaga's meat dress, or most of Miley Cirus's antics. Sure, there are the alcoholic or drug-abuse fueled events, but as with the general population, relatively few celebrities go that route to the point of losing control. I am sure that it is more common to have really bad behavior among celebrities, particularly if they have eben insulated from the usual blowback from an early age, just as it is with athletes who grew up insulated from the usual rules by the protection their athletic abilities afford. However, amongst both athletes and entertainment celebrities, I am pretty sure the vast majority are regular folks for the most part, working hard at their craft and living as normal a life as the field allows.
Old 20 December 2015, 04:36 PM

The core of the story is that some celebrity was rude and pushy in a grocery store. There's nothing to there story that's especially notable.
Old 20 December 2015, 04:53 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
There's nothing to there story that's especially notable.
It is notable, for the perceived bizarreness of the celebrity's behavior.
Old 20 December 2015, 05:23 PM

But such stories occur all the time. Unless there's something significant about this one (such as it running counter to the celebrity's reputation), I don't see what's interesting about it.
Old 20 December 2015, 05:27 PM

Icon05

Really? Where does one see or hear stories of such celebrity bizarreness (as opposed to run-of-the-mail bad behavior) "all the time"?
Old 20 December 2015, 06:41 PM

Isn't it the sort of thing that tabloids like TMZ are full of?
Old 20 December 2015, 09:13 PM

They're filled with accounts of allegedly scandalous behavior, not odd behavior.

ETA: Although they're happy to jump on stories of extremely odd behavior that may suggest mental illness or serious emotional problems -- Amanda Bynes trying to set fire to her dog, for example.
Old 10 January 2016, 07:42 AM

They fame would make it news worthy. If someone acts strangly in the supermarket, you might tell a few friends and it would go no futher. In the story in Crius if someone in obiviously expensive clothes or with a designer bag did what Gates did, again you might roll your eyes and tell a few friends but again it would go no futher. But a famous person does it, it becomes a friend of a friend story.
Old 11 January 2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I figure there’s some real information in this story of Bill Gates and the ice cream. He took the money. What kind of person is this? What kind of person wouldn’t dig out his own 50 cents and pay for the ice cream? A person who didn’t have the money? Bill Gates has the money. A starving person? Bill Gates has never starved. Some paranoid schizophrenics would have taken the money (some wouldn’t, too), but I’ve heard no claims that Bill Gates is mentally ill. And a kid might take the money—some bright but poorly socialized kid under, say, the age of 9.
Or someone who came out late at night without a wallet and didn't have an extra 50 cents and wanted that ice cream dammit!!
Old 11 January 2016, 08:25 PM

Australia

Reminds me of the time I was working in the pet shop, and I made Mr Gere scan every one of those gerbils.
Old 12 January 2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Or someone who came out late at night without a wallet and didn't have an extra 50 cents and wanted that ice cream dammit!!
I have called at the supermarket after a walk to pick up a few things only to relise, at the checkout, I didn't have my wallet. I just left the things and came home to get it. Or I have wanted to pay by cash and been short 10cents or so. In that case I have paid by card, but it still annoying. I think there may even have been a time I didn't have my card and was short a little. The checkperson just said "Don't worry about it" again it was like 10cents or so. I am sure it happens to many people rich and famous or the ordinary Joe/Jane
Old 28 February 2016, 04:40 PM

I've never heard Bill Gates having mental health issues. He himself has said he has Asperger's syndrome but that wouldn't make you obsessively cheap. He does have a reputation for being very cheap so maybe this story isn't beyond the pale.