snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 05 October 2015, 09:33 PM

Default The Benefits of Positive Thinking

This is sort of one of the big pervasive urban legend ideas, rather than one specific bit of faxlore or whatever.

Namely: That sick people are better off with a 'positive attitude'.

I think the science here is clear, but I could be wrong; as an example, here's what the Mayo Clinic site has to say:

Myth: A positive attitude is all you need to beat cancer

Truth: There's no scientific proof that a positive attitude gives you an advantage in cancer treatment or improves your chance of being cured.

(from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...r/art-20046762 )

There may be studies that more clearly resolve the status of this UL. As for sightings, I'm not even sure where to begin.

Cheers,
Roger
Old 16 October 2015, 01:36 PM

A good place to start would be Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America (2009) by self described myth buster Barbara Ehrenreich.