snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 02 September 2015, 07:39 AM

Default Mom And Toddler Put Sleep-Inducing 'Rabbit' Book To The Test

Every so often, a genuine publishing phenomenon emerges. The latest one is no Harry Potter, but the reason for its meteoric rise to the top of Amazon's best-seller list is self-evident. On the cover of Carl- Johan Forssen Ehrlin's self-published The Rabbit Who Wants to Fall Asleep there's a sign that reads, "I can make anyone fall asleep" and that's a promise sleep-deprived parents can't resist.

http://www.npr.org/2015/08/21/433520...ok-to-the-test
Old 02 September 2015, 07:56 AM

My approach has been to strictly avoid using reading as a soporific. In the first place, one goal is to keep me awake (sometimes, or always at least until that moment when she's asleep). Anything that makes a little one sleepy is going to knock me out cold and I'm sure we've all had the experience of sleeping away into the night as a toddler jumps around on the bed while the dishes don't wash themselves... No? Well, uh, maybe that's just me. Anyway, reading is sleep-inducing isn't the best message. When we read together I usually help them follow along and I want them to help too; I don't want them to be nodding off.

For sleeping time, I recommend putting away the books and turning the lights down and just telling stories. The stories can be favourites from literature or made up ones. I never know what's going to happen next so I've never fallen asleep when telling a story. If I get bored I can always add some explosions or impossibilities. I've missed a lot of late night TV like that but, meh, who needs it?
Old 02 September 2015, 03:17 PM

That's how we used to go to sleep too. My dad would tell us stories of the fantastic adventures of two kids who just happened to have the exact same names and ages as us. But every adventure would end with those two kids getting a dose of purple forget-me gas, so the wouldn't remember.

Good memories.
Old 03 September 2015, 12:40 AM

Mouse

I'd think wouldn't it just be easier to give them a little Nyquil or whatever over-the-counter medicine of choice? But I'm starting to think there's a reason my cousins won't let me babysit their kids in large part, because I figure if they're alive when their parents come back, I did my part.

Last edited by Mouse; 03 September 2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Stupid Homophones and/or Homonyms!