snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 29 January 2015, 08:50 AM

Default Mercury poisoning by tuna sandwich

This is something my mom is prone to repeating: it's a story about how some mother wanted her kid to be healthy, so she made him a tuna sandwich every day for lunch, and the kid ended up getting mercury poisoning from all the tuna.

What I want to know is, is there any truth to it? My mom is very prone to repeating stories she's heard without verifying them and thus passing along ULs, so I'd like to know if there are any documented cases of kids actually getting sick or dieing of mercury poisoning caused by eating canned tuna (which as far as I know has a much lower mercury content than fresh tuna).
Old 29 January 2015, 09:12 AM

Not a kid and not tuna sandwiches, but actor Jeremy Piven claims he got Mercury poisoning from eating mainly fish for 20 years:

http://www.people.com/people/article...252763,00.html
Old 29 January 2015, 10:00 AM

From 2009, that's far to recent: my mom was telling this story in the 90s.
Old 29 January 2015, 10:15 AM

From a quick google search it seems there's definitely a recommended cut off point for the amount of tuna people should eat per week depending on how much they weigh (here's an article with a handy chart) but other articles also point out that some people are more susceptible to mercury poisoning than others.

The bottom line is that too much tuna can result in too much mercury and you might end up with symptoms of mercury poisoning (loss of balance, etc).
Old 29 January 2015, 10:22 AM

Yeah, I've seen the medical warnings too, I'm just trying to find recorded instances. In large part because it's after 3 in the morning here and I'm supposed to stay awake all night, so I'm looking for things to keep me occupied.
Old 29 January 2015, 01:44 PM

Consumer Reports had a decent article recently: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...sure/index.htm

OY
Old 27 June 2015, 02:37 PM

As long as their has been mercury in fish, eating too much of said fish can put too much mercury in you! Happened to my hubby in 2005-2006.