snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 31 March 2015, 12:03 AM

Dog

Quote:
Simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or and other dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.
Also keeps your dogs from sticking together!

Seriously though, could this be bad if the dog tries to lick himself?
Old 31 March 2015, 01:12 AM

A life hack I just discovered -- We bought two new cat food dishes recently. When we peeled up the labels, we discovered that some good-time Charlie at the dish factory thought it would be hilarious to use some type of industrial adhesive to stick the labels on. It was like they were welded to the freakin' dishes! Oh, we got the labels off, but there was some serious residue left.

After running them through the dishwasher three times, I looked online and discovered that any type of oil product will clean off adhesive residue. So I used vegetable oil (because we had plenty of it). It did the trick, and now there's no label residue on the dishes. I just had to run them through the wash one more time to clean off the oil.
Old 31 March 2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
And as anecdotal data, I've never had a headache that was alleviated by drinking anything. If it's bad enough I need a painkiller, then I need a painkiller.
I've successfully treated a few very mild headaches with a can of Coke. (Drinking it, that is, though applying it to the forehead can be helpful, too.) I figure those headaches were probably caused by dehydration, low blood sugar, caffeine withdrawal, or some combination of those things. But again, those were really mild, dull, malaise-y headaches; for the sharp pains that have me squeezing my temples, I need painkillers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Also keeps your dogs from sticking together!

Seriously though, could this be bad if the dog tries to lick himself?
I certainly wouldn't try it on my cat. Little fool licks himself all over every time someone pets him; I wouldn't want to get anything on his fur that wasn't edible.
Old 31 March 2015, 10:04 AM

I tried the honey on skin thing. I don't know anything about the bacteria, but it sure did attract ants.
Old 31 March 2015, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I've successfully treated a few very mild headaches with a can of Coke.
I should probably mention that I get headaches all the time*, and they have to be pretty bad before I'll even notice I have one. It may well be that some of the little low grade ones are alleviated by fluids, but that would happen before I notice the headache.

This is in addition to the migraines, btw. I almost always notice the headache with those (unless the other symptoms freak me out).

Seaboe

*It's a family thing. My sister and father are/were headache prone as well.
Old 10 April 2015, 11:10 AM

Nail polish to fix screws, isn't it better (and probably cheaper) to use a product made specifically for the purpose, such as Loctite?

Also, antiseptic for blisters and other sores should be used with caution. In most cases, clean water and mild soap will be sufficient, and antiseptics may actually hinder the healing process. Use antiseptics for injuries where you either know there is a large infection risk (say, if you got rotting stuff or feces in the wound) or if you already have an infection. Otherwise, ordinary hygiene precautions will suffice.