snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Trivia

Old 09 June 2014, 05:53 PM

The Straight Dope says the sneezing one is true, but it can happen whether you block a sneeze or not.

SITD, that quote says draw forward with one hand while the other writes backward, not writing with both hands. So that seems to agree with the interpretation in the OP.
Old 09 June 2014, 06:00 PM

Baseball

How do you draw forward?
Old 09 June 2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
In other words, not everyone who holds in a sneeze will die, and there is no experiment you can perform that will produce results reliably unless you add additional factors.
But the claim was not that everyone who does will die, but that you can rupture a vein and die:
If you suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a vein in your brain or neck, and die.

I found this from the Univ. of Ark. for Medical Sciences, which says it can happen, though the more likely injury is to the ear drum and middle ear (but that may be professional bias, as they asked an audiologist):
Quote:
Woodall says the pressure behind a sneeze is capable of causing middle and inner ear damage, including a ruptured ear drum.

“This type of trauma to the membranous structures of the middle and inner ear has caused sudden severe sensorineural hearing loss, conductive hearing loss and even vertigo,” she says.

Other physical injuries that may result from holding a sneeze include diaphragm injuries, ruptured blood vessels in the eyes, and ruptured or weakened blood vessels in the brain.
I googled 'sneeze rupture vessel' and found a lot of links of similar opinion, often from med professionals and others who consulted with same. Death seems to be highly unlikely, at least immediately, but broken vessels in the head are not good for you, generally.
Old 09 June 2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
How do you draw forward?
I think a better question would be how you draw backward.

I guess if you are working from a model or a cartoon, you could draw it facing the other way, but I agree that "draw forward" is awkward wording.
Old 09 June 2014, 06:29 PM

As I understand it draw forward and backwards was in reference to writing. Right hand drawing letter in the normal way, while the left hand draws the letters opposite or mirrored direction.

ETA: give it a try, it is do able with a little practice.
Old 09 June 2014, 07:22 PM

Ah, but that is backwards from the description in the quote you posted. The mirror writing was referred to as writing; it would make no sense at all to refer to the writing done in the regular direction as "drawing".
Old 09 June 2014, 08:39 PM

Writing is drawing. Anyway I was basing my understanding on other things I read about this and Da Vinci. I do agree the quoted statement in the Discovery magazine is poorly worded.