Comment: I now have been told by more than 6 people that, the numbers for
the Michigan state lottery, that is to say the Mega Millions and the Power
Ball drawings, that these numbers are drawn 3 days prior to these numbers
being revealed to those who have purchased tickets, or in other words
prior to postings.
Old 12 March 2014, 12:11 AM

Why would they? To facilitate fraud?
Old 12 March 2014, 12:30 AM

If there's no fraud, I don't see why it would matter. It like the "guess how many beans are in the jar game." Presumably the number of beans is known at the beginning by the person who put them there, but as long as the number isn't revealed until the end of the game it doesn't change the outcome. Likewise, it doesn't change the outcome of the lottery if it becomes a "guess the numbers we drew three days ago" game. The only reason not to do it that way is it does at least create the opportunity for fraud even if it isn't actually occurring.
Old 12 March 2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The only reason not to do it that way is it does at least create the opportunity for fraud even if it isn't actually occurring.
I wouldn't say the "only" reason - that seems rather a good reason not to do it that way! I assume they keep selling tickets right up until the supposed draw, rather than stopping three days beforehand at the point of the "actual draw"?

If you're selling tickets for a multi-million dollar prize in which you have to guess the outcome of something that's already happened, then I'd expect a few more serious attempts to find out the outcome than you'd get for a sideshow "beans in the jar" contest at a church fete...
Old 12 March 2014, 02:18 PM

It's my understanding that the majority of lotteries are drawn AFTER the selling of tickets stops, but not necessarily drawn live on TV.

So if it tickets stop selling at, say, 8pm, and the numbers are drawn at 9pm, but divulged at 11pm, I don't really see an issue here.

OY
Old 12 March 2014, 05:34 PM

True, there has to be a cut-off before the draw, but I've never heard of the cutoff being three days before the draw. An hour might be reasonable.
Old 13 March 2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
True, there has to be a cut-off before the draw, but I've never heard of the cutoff being three days before the draw. An hour might be reasonable.
Way back in the early 80's, my parents owned a newsagency in Townsville and the cut off for the Saturaday drawn lotto was some time on a thursday afternoon. Dad would have to bundle all the lotto tickets up and process them in some way before they were couried to Brisbane. Now it is some time on a saturday. I don't know when as I don't buy tickets.

Obviously this was before the widespread electronic transfer of information.

As an aside, thursday was by far the busiest day in the newsagency, with the time approaching the cut off time, madness.
Old 14 March 2014, 02:55 AM

Icon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Why would they? To facilitate fraud?
I've been hearing as long as I can remember from conspiracy theorists (CTs) that lottery numbers are picked in advance so that whoever the CTs don't like (e.g., Jews, Freemasons, and so forth) get all the prize money. For example, check out this Topix.com post. Here are some of the juicier comments:
Quote:
the lottery is fixed good. anything to do with computers is always fixed. and people like us don't say a word and carry on letting them cheat.

I too, believe the lotto is fixed to the extent that they choose WHEN & WHERE a prize is given out. Especially the Mega Millions.

Chris the lottery is fixed and im getting the feds involved based on my findings,dont lsten to these guys they dont understand us people with higher IQs that can see clearly that its corrupt.Michigan.

the lotto is rigged like the take 5 always 1 number off well....most people think its ok education ha thats why now i say dont bad bet and forget them jews that run it in ny so my 100,000 people are quiting the bullsh*t game you present to us here more people in upstate that play than nyc ha lol
And see how Rense.com, which is a very popular conspiracy site, also makes this claim.

Brian
Old 14 March 2014, 03:09 AM

I guess it must be a conspiracy because I have not won type. Though I do know a good friend of the family that won the Mega Millions, but I do not know if retired Buddhist Thai couple counts on there list other than it is not them.

I have not watch any of the lottery drawing in quite a few years. I do remember the Washington State Lottery letting people know that they were welcome to come down and watch the drawing live. Though I do not know what you had to go though to get in to watch drawing.
Old 14 March 2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Way back in the early 80's, my parents owned a newsagency in Townsville and the cut off for the Saturaday drawn lotto was some time on a thursday afternoon.
Well, fair enough if they had to physically move the tickets to a central location. It's still all to make sure that nobody can place a bet after any numbers are drawn, though, which would be the exact opposite of doing the draw three days in advance.

I expect you had a "lotteral college" system whereby the people from out of town got five entries for every four tickets they bought, and the ones in town only got three, or something, too...
Old 14 March 2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: I now have been told by more than 6 people
Because the more people believe in a crazy idea, the truer it must be.
Quote:
that, the numbers for
the Michigan state lottery, that is to say the Mega Millions and the Power
Ball drawings
Actually the Mega and Powerball games are multi-state games that MI participates in--the Michigan-specific game is called Classic Lotto 47. Powerball was around nearly twenty years before Michigan joined in but Mega (which was originally called The Big Game) had Michigan as one of the original selling states at its inception back in 1996.
Quote:
that these numbers are drawn 3 days prior to these numbers
being revealed to those who have purchased tickets, or in other words
prior to postings.
I guess the idea is that somehow if "they" pick the numbers in advance that it must be in order to fix the drawings, which really makes little sense (like most conspiracy theories out there). Sometimes I wonder if the CT's are all suffering from a mild form of schizophrenia which makes them convinced of conspiracies all around them.
Old 14 March 2014, 05:54 PM

FWIW, the cutoff for lottery sales (back in Ontario) has indeed moved from 3pm to 9pm of the day of the draw, over the last, say, 20-25 years. That was the case in Ontario and the lottery was part of a nationwide lottery, so a sale cutoff of 3pm EST, was noon on the west coast, even though the lottery was drawn after 9pm EST. There's little doubt that computing power has greatly improved, and since all ticket sales are logged, finding the "desired draw" of numbers would take less time now, than it did before. Physically fixing the draw - the typcial tumbling machine that drops numbered balls - is another story that I'm not getting into.

It's not possible to choose the individual winner, however, choosing a set of numbers which has no winner, or choosing the location and number of winners, would be useful. The major lottery at the time had only about 14-million combinations (choosing 6 numbers out of 49), and even today that lottery frequently goes several draws without a winner. Ticket sales seem to jump when the prize jumps above $10million (remember that lottery winnings in Canada are lump-sum and tax-free), so in theory, it benefits the government to have bigger jackpots won less frequently, because the high prize value attracts casual and "irregular" players. These lotteries are parimutuel and 45% of lottery sales are given out as prizes, so more sales means more profit for those running things. Whether or not the technology exists, the motive seems to make sense...
Old 16 March 2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I expect you had a "lotteral college" system whereby the people from out of town got five entries for every four tickets they bought, and the ones in town only got three, or something, too...
Actually I am not sure they did. Half way through 85 my parents sold the newsagency and then at the end of the year we moved here to Brisbane. My parents still bought their ticket though and I still believe it was closed on thursday. They may have had to move the tickets to Brisbane but that is only 1 1/2 hour away by plane. More isolated areas of Queensland my have taken longer. I assume the three day time wait was because they had to process the tickets. Now of course your numbers are recorded electronically at the point of sale and transported by the internet to a central location.

We have known two people who have one the top price in lotto. One was a customer at the newsagency (and didn't sales improve in the weeks afer that) and one was a employee of my parents second business, completely different to the first, Hydraulics repair and supply sales.
Old 26 March 2014, 12:07 AM

This does not surprise me at all. One most only look at the Ontario lottery scandal in Ontario, Canada to realize that even "large", "reputable" lotteries can have huge security problems and never address them out of fear of scaring the public away from playing.