snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Sightings

Old 26 January 2014, 06:47 PM

Default God is not Dead (film)

Remember the various iterations of the Atheist Professor UL?

Now they have gone and made an entire movie based upon it: God is not Dead

The plot (as described in my local paper):

Quote:
“God is not Dead” centers around college freshman Josh Wheaton, whose deeply-rooted Christian faith is questioned by Professor Radisson on the first day of school.

Radisson wants to make sure all his students start off his philosophy class on the same page on the first day of school. He tells his students that they need to denounce that God exists or they will fail the class. And then he asks his students to write three simple words on a piece of paper: God is Dead.
Kevin Sorbo is in it. That is disappointing, I always liked that guy. He never seemed to take himself (or the characters he played) too seriously.

The UL is untrue, and perpetuates a harmful stereotype and cultural division - so someone goes out and makes it into a movie. It seems to have all number of currently popular Christian celebrities, even a Duck Dynasty person.

Sigh...
Old 26 January 2014, 11:10 PM

I've heard many things said about Kevin Sorbo, but not taking himself too seriously was never one of them. From what I've heard said about him, he'd be fine with a movie like this so long as it insured that he'd get a spotlight.
Old 27 January 2014, 01:20 AM

Throw Tomato Hercules gotta eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The plot (as described in my local paper):
Quote:
Pastor Ray Schroeder of St. George Community Church and Kristi Thompson of Southland Bible Church are working with Christian church leaders in the St. George area to bring this film to St. George. In order to do so, they need to guarantee 500 ticket preorders for the weekend of March 21.
I guess that explains the exteremly small number of theaters planning to show it. Even by independent/foreign film standards that's not very good.

For more details, here's the IMDb page. My favorite message board thread there is "Hercules + Superman In It...Coincidence?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Kevin Sorbo is in it. That is disappointing, I always liked that guy. He never seemed to take himself (or the characters he played) too seriously.
Michael Caine was the star of Jaws: The Revenge. Here's what he said about it:
Quote:
I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

Brian