Old 04 February 2007, 09:02 PM

Icon07 Preserve eggs by dipping them in wax

Comment: A friend of mine told me, by dipping eggs in wax, the eggs won't
get spoiled. Last for months without refrigeration and it is done so,
still, today on a small boats without refrigerator out in the ocean. Is
this true?
Old 05 February 2007, 12:13 AM
vison

My grandmother used to put eggs in "waterglass" to preserve them. Waterglass is sodium silicate.
In a cool cellar, eggs will keep very well in a mixture of common salt and bran. Use equal parts, mix well, and as you gather the eggs from day to day pack with big end down in the mixture and see that the eggs are covered. Waterglass eggs are good enough for cooking purposes, but when boiled anyone that knows the taste of a strictly fresh egg can tell the difference in an instant; when fried the taste is not so pronounced, but it is there just the same; besides, when broken, they are a little watery. This watery condition passes off if left to stand for a few minutes. The best way is to use the waterglass method, is one quart of waterglass to ten quarts of water. Boil the water and put away to cool, when cold add the waterglass, mixing well, and store in 3 or 5-gallon crocks in a cool place. They will keep six months if good when put in. In all cases the eggs must be gathered very fresh, for one stale egg will spoil the whole lot, so great care is needed.

Eggs will keep quite awhile unrefrigerated, actually. At least a week, and likely longer. The eggs you buy in a supermarket are several weeks old, but will supposedly have been kept under refrigeration all the time. Really fresh eggs are hard to find if you don't go to a farm to buy them.

I am going to look into the "wax" thing.
Old 05 February 2007, 12:50 AM
vison

I would have added this to my previous post, but I see I can't.

Yes, dipping eggs in wax would preserve them for a time. Vaseline has been used, and tallow. The waxed or greased eggs would then be covered with flour or bran.

Here is a link:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOO...orage-msg.html
Old 06 February 2007, 03:42 PM

Frying Pan

I really either haven't been getting enough sleep or else I've been drinking too much coffee, because I accidently read that as "Preserve dogs by dipping them in wax."

But that's actually rather an interesting way to preserve eggs. I have chickens and generally end up with more eggs than twenty people could use. I'll have to give this a try at some point. Thanks Vison.
Old 06 February 2007, 06:45 PM
vison

It don't work quite so good fer dogs.
Old 22 August 2013, 03:41 AM
Phil1949

I quote from an article that appeared in Naval Institute Proceedings in July, 1937 titled, "Life in the Aleutian Islands." "..it is advisable to take waxed eggs in [to Dutch Harbor] and replace them by ordering from the States. They are usually ordered by the case and will last about 3 months with 3 in the family. For the first week or so after receipt waxed eggs may be poached; then for a month or so they can be fried sunny side up; but by the third month they usually are suitable only for cooking and for scrambling, if one is at all fastidiuos as to taste."