snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Computers

Old 19 June 2012, 07:33 PM

Mouse Canada once quarantined Microsoft mice, thinking they were alive

"Just let's take the mouse as an example. To be successful, Windows 1.0 really needed a mouse. So we built one. Early reviews of mice were not very positive as people struggled to understand the real value. In fact, actually it was so new that Canadian customs quarantined the Microsoft mouse at the border for four weeks thinking that it was alive."

Seems like an odd tale, but he wasn't laughing when he said it.

I want to know more, so I've asked the Canada Border Services Agency and Microsoft to try to track down the incident in question. Stay tuned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4349599/
Old 19 June 2012, 07:47 PM

Computer

I could believe that someone encountering a box labeled "mouse" might have sent it off to quarantine back then (since the word was not yet commonly recognized as referring to a computer accessory), but I really doubt someone who looked at the device itself would mistake it for a real rodent.
Old 19 June 2012, 08:09 PM

Hadn't Apple computers been using mice for several years by the time Windows came out? Sure Apple was not as ubiquitous as PCs, but they were well known nonetheless.
Old 19 June 2012, 08:19 PM

Plus, at sometime during that four weeks, wouldn't there have been concern about food and water?
Old 19 June 2012, 08:22 PM

Computer

Quote:
Hadn't Apple computers been using mice for several years by the time Windows came out?
Mice didn't start to become common until the release of the Macintosh in 1984. Windows 1.0 came out in 1985.
Old 19 June 2012, 08:28 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I could believe that someone encountering a box labeled "mouse" might have sent it off to quarantine back then (since the word was not yet commonly recognized as referring to a computer accessory), but I really doubt someone who looked at the device itself would mistake it for a real rodent.
Wouldn't a SEALED box be enough to clue someone in that the contents weren't actual rodents? Unless Canada quarantines freeze-dried feeder mice as well as live ones.

~Psihala
Old 19 June 2012, 08:31 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Wouldn't a SEALED box be enough to clue someone in that the contents weren't actual rodents?
I don't know that one can assume shippers always choose appropriate packaging.
Old 19 June 2012, 11:45 PM

I don't know much about Canada customs, but I could fathom having some sort of policy for dead animals as well as live ones. Perhaps not a quarantine per se, but I could see a box labelled "mouse" getting flagged in some way if customs was unsure of the contents. It's wouldn't stretch the limits of the imagination that someone could try and ship research mice internationally, and customs probably needs to be aware of what they are, if they've been infected with anything, etc.
Old 20 June 2012, 02:01 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Mice didn't start to become common until the release of the Macintosh in 1984. Windows 1.0 came out in 1985.
I have a copy of Michael Crichton's Electronic Life.

http://crichton-official.com/books-electroniclife.html

In this book, he talks about the myriad of input devices for computers, including the mouse. Oddly enough, he did not like the mouse and thought that it would go by the wayside as a peripheral device.

That was in '83.
Old 20 June 2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Hadn't Apple computers been using mice for several years by the time Windows came out? Sure Apple was not as ubiquitous as PCs, but they were well known nonetheless.
They predate the Mac - Apple got the idea to use them from Xerox PARC who had a machine called the Star or something that featured a mouse as an input device. It was not very popular, but mouse input systems were not invented by Apple.

I actually would think that the Macintosh was more poplar that Windows 1.0 was...
Old 20 June 2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
I don't know much about Canada customs, but I could fathom having some sort of policy for dead animals as well as live ones. Perhaps not a quarantine per se, .
I havn't checked but Australia has pretty strict customs and even dead animal products are checked.