snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 20 April 2017, 01:33 PM

Default Mom films autistic 10-year-oldís arrest at school. Then he spent the night in jail.

A Florida mother filmed the arrest of her 10-year-old son as school resource deputies handcuffed him and took him away. The boy, who has autism, is accused of battery of a school employee in Okeechobee County because he kicked a teacher last November. The offense is a third-degree felony.

His mother Luanne Haygood said her son shouldnít have been arrested for the incident. ďIt was because of his autism that spurred this incident,Ē Haygood told WPTV. ďAnd he was arrested for that.Ē

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...145281069.html

I am actually speechless at the moment. Arresting a 10 year and putting him in jail? Over something that happened months ago? Bad enough. Arresting an autistic child and putting him in jail over something that happened months ago? Freaking pathetic.
Old 20 April 2017, 03:24 PM

Baseball

The worst part was in the msn.ca article I read about it where it was revealed by the teacher in his report that the boy kicked him while he was trying to restrain him by wrapping his arms around the boys chest "so as to not restrict breathing, but controlling him".

Holy krap! You are an adult bear hugging a child and yet when he kicks you, immediately you press felony charges?!?

My wife works in the school environment, and she sees krap like this from time to time. She just wants to brow beat the EAs into understanding that they are escalating a situation, no calming it down, as they are supposed to do.
Old 20 April 2017, 04:16 PM

You want to calm down an autistic kid, grabbing them in a bear hug is about the single worst thing you can do.
Old 20 April 2017, 04:28 PM

I don't know about working with autistic children but at the schools near us you don't touch the kids. They can be having a meltdown and breaking the furniture but you still don't touch them. That's not exactly ideal either BTW but I'll take that over somebody squeezing a kid and then being surprised he got a kick.
Old 20 April 2017, 04:57 PM

It would be nice if the sheriff's department explained why they weren't able to serve the papers until now. Not that I think the delay is the major issue here, I just think they owe that kids' family, and the community as a whole, an explanation.
Old 20 April 2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't know about working with autistic children but at the schools near us you don't touch the kids.
One of the most common traits of autism is a dislike of physical contact, especially with people you don't like. If an autistic kid is having a freak-out, grabbing them in any way is going to make it a lot worse.
Old 20 April 2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
“Unfortunately, instead of treating or accommodating we arrest because we don’t know what else to do,”
That quote is exactly what I was thinking before I even read the article. It's evident from this and other similar incidents that some police forces have woefully inadequate training on dealing with people with mental health issues. It's like all they see is someone acting "violent" and they don't know anything other than "we're supposed to put violent people in jail" and they end up trying to handle an autistic kid having a meltdown the same way the would handle a bar fight.