snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 28 November 2018, 07:05 PM

Default Driver with dead dog hanging on side of SCDOT truck spawns investigation

Quote:
The S.C. Department of Transportation is investigating after an employee was spotted driving down the road with a dead animal [ed: a dog] hanging from her truck, according to a statement from the agency.

A now wide-reaching Facebook post showed a dead dog hanging from a hoist of an SCDOT truck driving down a road in Calhoun County.
I have mixed feelings here as I'm both a dog lover but I'm also a pragmatic person.

Calhoun county is fairly rural, and their methods of disposal for dead animals (especially wild animals) is to load them up and dispose of them in the woods where nature will takes it course (scavengers, bugs, etc).

I don't know how far the driver was expecting to go with the dead animal, if it were close by I would probably have done the same.

They use a winch for larger animals to load them in the back of the truck, so the dog was left on the outside instead of being hauled in.

In the end, the animal is dead, it won't change anything.

OY
Old 28 November 2018, 07:08 PM

Link, please?
Old 28 November 2018, 07:24 PM

Driver with dead dog hanging on side of SCDOT truck spawns investigation

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...#storylink=cpy

~Psihala
(*The story has a video, and even though the dog's body is blurred, it isn't blurred much and some may find it disturbing.)
Old 28 November 2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
In the end, the animal is dead, it won't change anything.

OY
It won't change anything for the dog, a fact I'm sure all of us understand. That doesn't mean it was appropriate.
Old 28 November 2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...#storylink=cpy

~Psihala
(*The story has a video, and even though the dog's body is blurred, it isn't blurred much and some may find it disturbing.)
Thanks for the link, I forgot that part!

OY
Old 28 November 2018, 07:50 PM

You're welcome. I'd actually just come across the story myself, so it wasn't much trouble to just recall the link.

~Psihala
Old 28 November 2018, 08:18 PM

The story not only has a video, it autoplays the thing, even if you've got most of java turned off.

-- a large chunk of the issue, it seems to me, is that somebody may be looking for that dog. If it's dead by the side of the road, they'll be upset, but they'll probably find it. If the body gets dumped off in the woods somewhere, they may be hunting for that dog for weeks or months, thinking it may still be alive and possibly in distress somewhere.

If the county makes a reasonable effort to find the owner but fails to do so, and then snaps a picture and keeps it on record somewhere for a while in case anyone calls police or the transportation department looking for a dog, then I'd have no problem with their dumping the body in the woods after they've done that (though I still don't think carrying it down the road dangling from the hoist is a good idea.) But if they're routinely just scooping up domestic animals and dumping them with no record made or attempt to locate owners, I'd have a problem with that.