snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 16 January 2019, 02:32 AM

Mouse

If they want to do that, then why not just invite strippers to their funerals, which is something Iíve heard about the Chinese doing?
Old 16 January 2019, 03:00 AM

I'm just wondering why police officers from all over the country needed to attend that funeral.
Old 16 January 2019, 01:41 PM

Police tend to attend police funerals. I think they like to since it shows that they have a hard, dangerous job protecting us from criminals, and so we should increase their funding. A big deal was made about this police officer dying on duty, and he was a hero. Funny how when my co-worker died of a heart attack at work, he wasn't a hero. He was just a poor guy who probably should have exercised more, and not smoked.
Old 16 January 2019, 02:22 PM

I would think that if you asked a police officer why he/she attended the funeral of another officer they would give a very different reason.
Old 16 January 2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
If they want to do that, then why not just invite strippers to their funerals...
Would they be called pall dancers?
Old 16 January 2019, 03:35 PM

Jaded

To all of those calling Local Talk Show: I'm pretty sure none of you would like working without pay! It's OK to sit on your high horse and poo-poo the federal workers, but guess what--they have bills to pay too. The schadenfreude is running high today!
Remember it's all fun and games until the collection agencies start calling.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:29 PM

Icon101

To the creators of the ESL workbook I'm using: Last evening, my student and I started Unit 9: Daily Living. The scenario is apartment residents having various issues with their units and calling the building manager who advises the resident(s) to call (for instance) a plumber. Uh, apartment dwellers don't normally have to do that! That's up to the landlord/building manager.
Old 17 January 2019, 03:35 PM

Ponder

Do we know for certain that the publisher isn't also a slum lord trying to condition potential future tenants to expect to arrange (and pay for) their own repairs so he can save on maintenance?
Old 17 January 2019, 04:04 PM

Ponder

Hmmm, could be!
Old 17 January 2019, 04:35 PM

I used to teach ESL, and I was continually amazed at how poorly-written the dialogues in the textbooks were. Stilted, illogical, not to mention excruciatingly dull--I started writing my own, they were so bad. I thought the same thing when I was taking high school Spanish and the textbook authors thought, for example, that a realistic premise for a conversation between a teenage girl and her grandfather was the girl asking him what he thought of "today's youth" and listening raptly as he rattled off complaints about her generation. That one was so bad I had trouble comprehending it; I twisted myself in knots trying to figure out if "la juventud actual" was a band or something.
Old 17 January 2019, 05:04 PM

Crash

You're right about the stilted part. So far, the conversations have at least been realistic--people talking about their kids, people going furniture shopping, jobs, etc. Then we get to Unit 9 and hello! Who let the slumlord in???
My student lives in an apartment, and I asked her who she called when there was an issue. The building manager of course!
This is an improvement over the old curriculum that featured teens getting together for card games and people sitting down and actually writing letters. I think the literacy council is sending those books off to some third world country so people in that country can see how Americans live in the second decade of the 21st century.

ETA: the apartment building in Unit 9 has some of the worse plumbing on record.
Old 17 January 2019, 05:13 PM

But how is the hovercraft?
Old 17 January 2019, 05:15 PM

Icon19

Haven't gotten to that part yet.
Old 17 January 2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
But how is the hovercraft?
It has a surprising lack of eels.
Old 18 January 2019, 05:22 PM

TYSHTTP: Nobody drove you to vote for Trump. You're a white, heterosexual male. The things you claim are said about you aren't anywhere close to being as awful as women, non-Caucasians, and LGBT people have had to endure for generations. They don't hold a candle to what people just like you spent eight years saying about President Obama. So quit pretending that you were totally prepared to vote Democrat in the election until someone hurt your feelings, you goddamn snowflake!
Old 23 January 2019, 03:03 PM

I once taught from a French textbook that had a dialogue with two characters discussing the great prices for overseas vacations and making plans to take one. Then one character says something to the effect of, "But we don't have enough money." The other says, "That's okay, we have the Carte Bleue!" (a French credit card). I am not kidding! I couldn't believe the book was advocating consumer debt!
Old 23 January 2019, 03:55 PM

Shifty Eyes

Hmmm, sounds like product placement to me.
Old 23 January 2019, 04:16 PM

I don't really think it was product placement. It was otherwise a normal textbook without other mentions of products. But it was very weird!

And BTW, I did tell the class that this was not the right way to use credit cards.
Old 24 January 2019, 01:42 PM

Icon22

To the brake-riding, somewhat lugging in van driver I encountered yesterday: I strongly suggest that you get the driver's side outside mirror fixed so you can see oncoming cars! What's the point of having the structure if the mirror part is broken out? I also saw that your van had a home improvement business name on it--I don't think people would want to hire a business that had such shoddy vehicles.
Old 24 January 2019, 03:02 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I don't think people would want to hire a business that had such shoddy vehicles.
That's probably not what s/he drives when bidding for a job.

Seaboe