snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 26 June 2015, 03:34 PM

Cheer Supreme Court rules states must allow same-sex marriage

Quote:
Washington (CNN)In a landmark opinion, the Supreme Court ruled Friday that states cannot ban same-sex marriage, handing gay rights advocates their biggest victory yet.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/politi...ing/index.html
Old 26 June 2015, 03:37 PM

Happy dance time!

Hooray!

ETA: Given their recent track record of deciding (or refusing to look at) cases that all went for gay rights, I was thinking this was the way it would go. But I wasn't absolutely sure. I was hoping it would be more votes for it, but 5 is all we needed.

FETA: Shut up Scalia. Just shut up.

Also, dusty in here. And they just changed the AC filters too.

Last edited by GenYus234; 26 June 2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 26 June 2015, 03:38 PM

It's been far too long a-coming. But for now, let's celebrate. (It's also my son's fortieth birthday. He's straight, but he says he's going to remember this day for two reasons now!)
Old 26 June 2015, 03:44 PM

OMG, I better rush home to see if my marriage license has burst into flames!

On the bright side, the ruling puts a heck of a lot of pressure on Republican presidential candidates. The vast majority (>60%) of Americans support gay marriage, now the Republican candidates have to publicly say they either support or oppose it. Go one way and you loose a big chunk of voters. Go the other way and you loose fewer voters but a you loose a big big pile of money.
Old 26 June 2015, 03:59 PM

GenYette and my marriage was never really real since we don't (and don't want to) have children. (According to some of the anti arguments, procreation is the only reason for a marriage, that's why gay people can't get married.) So our marriage can't be really harmed by this ruling anyway.

I'm thinking most of those politicians will go the "this should have been decided by the 300 million people of the United States, not by just 5 judges" route of refusing to take a side one way or the other.
Old 26 June 2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
GenYette and my marriage was never really real since we don't (and don't want to) have children. (According to some of the anti arguments, procreation is the only reason for a marriage, that's why gay people can't get married.)
Well, there's also "Because the Bible," at least among the "America was founded as a Christian nation" set.
Old 26 June 2015, 04:24 PM

Cheer

Congratulations to all the US Snopesters!!

Quote:
I'm thinking most of those politicians will go the "this should have been decided by the 300 million people of the United States, not by just 5 judges" route of refusing to take a side one way or the other.
Huckabee has said "I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat", Jeb Bush has said " I believe the Supreme Court should have allowed the states to make this decision. I also believe that we should love our neighbor and respect others, including those making lifetime commitments", Rick Santorum has said "Today, 5 unelected judges redefined the foundational unit of society. Now it is the people's turn to speak" and Trump seemed to be blaming Bush for putting Roberts on the Supreme Court???

Also I'm seeing a lot of Twitter posts about how 50 million Americans voted against gay marriage and the SCOTUS has alienated 50 million Americans.
Old 26 June 2015, 04:25 PM

Which is why marriage should be between one man and seven hundred women (plus three hundred concubines), right?
Old 26 June 2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Well, there's also "Because the Bible," at least among the "America was founded as a Christian nation" set.
That one seemed to hide behind "traditional definition of marriage" lately as I think the arguers realized that arguing rights based on one religion wasn't going to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Congratulations to all the US Snopesters!!
Thanks, I guess. Not like I had much to do with it as my state was one of the hold outs despite my meager efforts. I too wished it had been because each state voted for it. Not because it makes it more proper, but because it would mean less people would get their knickers in a twist and because it would mean that that many more people were for gay rights.

Regarding the quotes you posted, I'm not surprised. I figured that would be the tack they'd take after seeing what Scalia said about it.

Quote:
Also I'm seeing a lot of Twitter posts about how 50 million Americans voted against gay marriage and the SCOTUS has alienated 50 million Americans.
That "alienation" is the whole point of having a Constitution and a Supreme Court and rights that cannot be changed easily.
Old 26 June 2015, 04:54 PM

Even if I were convinced the majority of US voters oppose full marriage rights, it's irrelevant, IMO. I'm pretty sure a referendum on school integration would have failed in 1954. One of the reason we have courts is to defend the rights of the minority against the majority.

I am very happy, and glad that I've been around to watch the progress we've made on this issues, especially in the last 10 or 15 years.
Old 26 June 2015, 05:53 PM

I died when I got to the part about the Kalahari Bushmen and the Aztecs in the dissent. I had no idea SCOTUS had jurisdiction over them now!

Seriously, I'm so happy.
Old 26 June 2015, 06:58 PM

Hello Kitty

Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Most Buck-Wild Pride Parade Nation’s Ever Seen

Quote:
“After reviewing the constitutional underpinnings of this case, the court finds that it is discriminatory for states to deny the right to the most out-of-control, bonkers gay pride parade that anyone could possibly imagine,”
As it is, in fact, Pride Weekend here in Seattle, let me just say:

It's gonna be unreal.
Old 26 June 2015, 07:13 PM

I'm wondering what other SCOTUS decisions Scalia thinks should have been left for the democratic process. Loving v Virginia? Brown v Board of Education? Miranda v Arizona?
Old 26 June 2015, 07:22 PM

Sounds about right.

After all, the founders didn't say anything about integrated schools or interracial marriage.
Old 26 June 2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Shut up Scalia. Just shut up.
That's why another Democrat in the White House for 8 years is so important. The conservative justices can't outrun actuarial statistics forever. All it takes is one and we can revisit Citizens United and other travesties, and we can avoid another stolen election like Bush v. Gore.

Thomas is quieter than Scalia, but always firmly on the wrong side of any issue. Kennedy is more of a swing vote, but he's still getting up there in age. Scalia, Thomas, and Kennedy would be 88, 76, and 87 at the end of the next 2 term presidency, and at least the first two don't seem to be in optimal health for their age. Statistically, the odds are that one of them would be forced to retire. Alito and Roberts will most likely live forever, but hey, you can never be sure.
Old 26 June 2015, 07:57 PM

Even more worrisome (IMO) is Ginsburg, she's had two different types of cancer and has had heart issues. I hope to be wrong, but I think it unlikely that her health would permit her to wait out a Republican President for two terms, especially since she'd be nearly 92 by the 2025 inauguration.
Old 26 June 2015, 08:06 PM

Theme Icon

I'm especially happy for my cousin, who is on his honeymoon at this time. When he and his new husband return, their marriage will not only remain valid in California, but if they move out of state, it will be just as valid anywhere else in the US.
Old 26 June 2015, 08:08 PM

Congratulations and best wishes to your cousin and his hubby!
Old 26 June 2015, 08:08 PM

Wish an uncle or two of mine had lived to see this.

Yeah, it's dusty in here.
Old 26 June 2015, 08:22 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Trump seemed to be blaming Bush for putting Roberts on the Supreme Court???
Roberts dissented on this one. He used up his progressive vote quota on the healthcare bill.