snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 January 2019, 05:32 AM

Funny, some friends and I were talking about Face/Off on Saturday. Mostly about how painful it is any time one watches Nick Cage try to emote.
Old 15 January 2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I guess that Deadpool's massive popularity made that somewhat inevitable.
Seriously, the line goes

"I heard [the unnamed hero] was made by the government and has more weapons than Deadpool and Cable combined." [Note: this turns out to very much not be the case. He has more mundane origins.]
"You've been reading too many Rob Liefeld comics."

And let's keep in mind that these characters are all school-age kids.
Old 16 January 2019, 02:03 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Funny, some friends and I were talking about Face/Off on Saturday. Mostly about how painful it is any time one watches Nick Cage try to emote.
Don’t remember it being all painful. I just remember the gonzo insanity. I said it hired Hollywood’s biggest hams, then forced them to act like each other, but honestly I don’t know if any other actors would have worked. This is the kind of movie where subtlety doesn’t cut it; you need scenery-chewing. Any movie that can be summed up as “Freaky Friday except everyone’s trying to kill each other,” can’t be all bad.

It makes me wonder if John Woo may be the perfect person to direct an idea I’ve had Depp vs. Cage ala Freddy vs. Jason. We both know that Johnny Depp and Nicolas Cage are hemorrhaging money and rather than have them sleepwalk through another formulaic piece of crap, why not put together a film where we settle it once and for all, which actor is the best scenery-chewer?

Me, if I had to choose, I’d go with Cage. Not only does he have the brand of crazy seldom seen outside of questionably run state asylums, Johnny Depp has to be all twee and cutesy with his crazy, prance around going, “Look at me! Aren’t I so delightfully quirky and charming?”
Old 16 January 2019, 02:07 AM

I think I'd just as soon not see Depp or Cage on the big screen again.
Old 19 January 2019, 11:00 PM

Watched Solo last night.

It was okay. Not great, but decent. Probably would have been a moderate success if it hadn't been released so soon after Last Jedi and been swept up in that film's controversy.
Old 20 January 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Watched Solo last night.

It was okay. Not great, but decent. Probably would have been a moderate success if it hadn't been released so soon after Last Jedi and been swept up in that film's controversy.
The effects were pretty good and the action scenes were fun but that's pretty much to be expected these days, so it just felt like just another movie off the movie mass production factory line. But Star Wars movies are supposed to be special! Especially if they feature such beloved characters as Han Solo and Chewbacca! And that might be an awfully unfair expectation to place on any film but other recent films like Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse also had pretty big expectations on them and managed to pull it off.

It's especially galling since Lord & Miller did such a wonderful job telling Miles Morales' story in Into The Spider-Verse and they were kicked off Solo halfway through production so we only got a glimpse of what they had planned for those characters. Into The Spider-Verse was an incredibly faithful and loving tribute to classic Spider-Man wrapped up in a new story that moved the character forwards in fun and exciting new ways. It was visually spectacular and it had a ton of heart.

Solo, on the other hand, was all spectacle and no heart.
Old 20 January 2019, 01:15 AM

Yeah…I liked Solo, but still can’t get over the fact that it has a character named Tobias Beckett.

Also, Anita Sarkeesian, who is apparently the grande dame of feminisms (because teh womz don’t play video games and therefore don’t realise that Marian from Double Dragon is strong now or something), didn’t like what the movie did to Elthree.
Old 20 January 2019, 05:10 AM

L3 was a more interesting character than most of the rest of the cast.

A Droid who's actually exploring the implications of the fact that everyone takes for granted that Droids are a slave race with no rights is something that could lead to some interesting story arcs. But instead they went for some cheap laughs before she died.
Old 21 January 2019, 03:35 AM

Mouse

As I’ve said before many times in this thread, I remember nothing about Solo except Donald Glover’s portrayal of Lando. Good God that smile...dude is the incarnation of charisma.

As for the rest of the movie, there was Han and Chewie and they did stuff...probably was a bad guy involved. Honestly that movie was punishingly generic. There’s not a single image or line I remember from that movie, outside of Lando.

Say what you will about the prequels, but they were at least bad in a way that’s memorable. The Prequels were terrible and worthy of scorn, but say what you will, but George Lucas put forth actual effort. The Prequels tried to create good visuals and introduce new ideas to the franchise. Pretty much all of it was terrible, but again, Lucas put forth actual effort, which forces me to have some grudging respect for the films.

Better to try for greatness and fail miserably than to try for nothing and succeed, which is what Solo did. Most of my headcanon for Han Solo came from A.C. Crispin’s Han Solo trilogy and that’s not likely to change because again, I remember nothing about the film.
Old 21 January 2019, 01:39 PM

Saw the 2018 version of A Wrinkle In Time last night (my 10 year old was assigned to watch it to go along with the in-class study of the book). It wasn't a horrible movie, but it wasn't a great adaptation. I had no problem with the multiracial casting; I did, however, find it weird that they made Charles Wallace adopted, as that screws up some of the underlying dynamics in the series. I thought that it also fell prey to the same "underestimate the audience" tendency to provide concrete exposition/explanation early on that killed the movie version of The Golden Compass, although not as blatantly/hamfistedly as that particular cinematic travesty.

I also could have done without the unnecessary addition of a life-threatening action scene when they first get to Camazotz, and ditto for the flying scene on Uriel that results in another manufactured moment of peril. The writers wanted to make sure that the audience knew how smart Meg is, and apparently the only way they could do that was by having her spout off ludicrous scientific babble in completely ridiculous situations.

I also missed the initial characterization of Who, Which, and Whatsit as dotty old women. In general, this version of the story lacked the gradual sense of discovery that helped make L'Engle's series so compelling.
Old 22 January 2019, 09:18 AM

Both Fyre Festival documentaries. Weirdly compelling stuff. In the Hulu one, his pupils were dilated like he was coked out of his mind for the entire hours long interview. That moment where he claimed the only reason they didn't fulfill their housing promises was that they lost the big box of keys, and that was a perfectly reasonable explanation and insurmountable obstacle. A standout interview from the Netflix one was the influencer who casually mentioned destroying all the nearby FEMA tents so they'd have more privacy.
Old 23 January 2019, 01:51 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Saw the 2018 version of A Wrinkle In Time last night (my 10 year old was assigned to watch it to go along with the in-class study of the book). It wasn't a horrible movie, but it wasn't a great adaptation. I had no problem with the multiracial casting; I did, however, find it weird that they made Charles Wallace adopted, as that screws up some of the underlying dynamics in the series. I thought that it also fell prey to the same "underestimate the audience" tendency to provide concrete exposition/explanation early on that killed the movie version of The Golden Compass, although not as blatantly/hamfistedly as that particular cinematic travesty.

I also could have done without the unnecessary addition of a life-threatening action scene when they first get to Camazotz, and ditto for the flying scene on Uriel that results in another manufactured moment of peril. The writers wanted to make sure that the audience knew how smart Meg is, and apparently the only way they could do that was by having her spout off ludicrous scientific babble in completely ridiculous situations.

I also missed the initial characterization of Who, Which, and Whatsit as dotty old women. In general, this version of the story lacked the gradual sense of discovery that helped make L'Engle's series so compelling.
I felt the movie defanged the book. A Wrinkle in Time was almost as much a horror story as it was Sci-Fi. Yeah there was some beautiful imagery in it, but frequently, it was beautiful the way a house burning to the ground is beautiful; the beauty barely masks the horror.

Also Meg was a much more abrasive character in the book. Aging down the cast seems like a bad idea. In the book, Meg was in high school as was Calvin. Also, they left out Sandy and Dennys. Granted in the book, all they did was exist, but this might make adaptation of the other books difficult.

I rewatched Aquaman. It remains pretty solid, but it still suffers from how Meera spends a good chunk of the movie dragging the titular character’s useless ass around. Just for once I want a character to respond to reluctant hero’s “I don’t want to be king! I’m not worthy!” soliloquies by going, “Yeah, yeah, faux humility, faux humility. Listen, you chuckleNFBSK, you may not want to be king, but there are some really bad people who do. And trust me when I say your holier-than-thou whininess isn’t going to do jack to protect your beloved common people if some jerkwad comes into power, so suck it up, buttercup!”

Because I think hereditary leadership is a pretty stupid idea, probably one of the stupidest, but the time to make changes isn’t when there’s a massive vacuum of power that is in danger of being filled by the worst people. Get into power, take away a massive tool/weapon from your enemies, then you can start reforming things.

Though I would find the character saying to Reluctant Hero, “Fine then, if you’re not going to step up, then I will,” to be just as acceptable. Meera really put up with a lot from this clown and it seems kind of obvious. He doesn’t want the responsibility of the throne, whereas she’s smarter, more capable, and has likely been raised with the mindset of most heirs to noble heirs about putting aside your needs for the sakes of others, so let her do it.

Despite what cultural memes about ambition being evil say, the reality is that ambition isn’t in itself a bad thing. It’s what’s done with the ambition, how it’s directed that determines whether it’s good or bad. Even a good monarch needs to have some ambition, even if it’s to just stay where they are.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:11 PM

Once Upon A Deadpool: I liked some of it, but darn it I wanted the ¿Donde está la biblioteca? joke intact. Also, my mother sat through it and said it was all right.

Incredibles 2: This was NFBSKing awesome! My nephew had to spoil it slightly by, well, spoiling it slightly (he pointed out the baddie, whose identity is revealed in a sort of “Intro to Secret Of The Ooze” fashion), but I’m OK with that. Plus, Voyd is awesome.

**With regards to the Turtles reference: the intro to the first movie works its way into introducing them, introducing April first and hinting at the Foot while only showing the Turtles themselves after they’ve left the scene of the fight. By the second movie, we expect to see the Turtles onscreen and fighting, and Incredibles 2 also drops a few heavy hints.
Old 28 January 2019, 02:53 AM

China

The Favourite. Solid film, much enjoyed. Nothing like the mindless slapstick the trailers suggested it would be.

Crazy Rich Asians. I cut it off at the thirty minute mark. I hadn’t laughed once by that point so it failed as a comedy, it wasn’t dramatic enough to be a drama, and I just didn’t give two shits about the characters or the situation they were in. Other than being "progressive"(which I guess having rich Chinese people wielding their wealth throughout Asia and briefly in the UK and US is supposed to be?) I don’t see what it offered. They could have at least called it Generally Tame Rich Chinese for a little truth in advertising.

Last edited by ASL; 28 January 2019 at 03:11 AM.
Old 28 January 2019, 03:15 PM

I saw Goosebumps 2 today. I have a few questions, but most of those are in regards to the nature of the book, which appears to violate whatever was established in the first movie. That said, some of the new monsters were pretty cool. I especially liked the witches, although I don’t quite get what the Haunted Mask is supposed to be. Is it Carly Beth’s? One from the sequels?

So okay, Slappy’s different, and the spell—established in the books—now works on other objects, but why do those other monsters go into the book? The previous movie established that they had to be written in. Also, since they had to be written on Stine’s typewriter, how did Slappy write a story?
Old 28 January 2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
The Favourite. Solid film, much enjoyed. Nothing like the mindless slapstick the trailers suggested it would be.
Do you mean it wasn't funny, or it wasn't mindless humor? I've been interested in seeing it, and thought there would be venomous wordplay and petty power struggles over social position, which looked funny, but not in a way that I would categorize as slapstick.
Old 28 January 2019, 07:38 PM

It's not really a comedy at all. Here's my take on it...

http://message.snopes.com/showpost.p...&postcount=297

Trailers here in the US made it out to be humorous, but it isn't. Its actually somewhat brutal.

That's not to say it's not good. I did rather like it. It's just that the trailers don't do it justice.
Old 28 January 2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Do you mean it wasn't funny, or it wasn't mindless humor? I've been interested in seeing it, and thought there would be venomous wordplay and petty power struggles over social position, which looked funny, but not in a way that I would categorize as slapstick.
I got mindless humor from the trailer(s) I saw, but it was more like the second thing you describe--the power struggles over social position (with some venomous wordplay) that have a sort of humor to them at times. So go see it!
Old 28 January 2019, 08:01 PM

What ASL said!
Old 29 January 2019, 12:25 AM

Mrs. from Georgia and I just got back from seeing Stan and Ollie. It's a sweet film, nostalgic and wistfully melancholy, yet really funny at the same time. John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan as, respectively, Oliver Hardy and Stanley Laurel do a great job of capturing the essences of the boys, as they were always called. They replicate quite a few classic routines in letter-perfect style, and they have a strong chemistry as a team.

Shirley Henderson plays Hardy's wife Lucille, who is diminutive next to him and yet is strongly, staunchly protective toward him and conveys love that has settled into life-long affection. Nina Arianda plays Ida, Mrs. Laurel, with hilariously over-the-top affectation, and yet she and Coogan also project devotion.

Briefly, the film begins with the boys filming the dance from "Way Out West" in 1937, showing us some tension as Laurel realizes his contract with Hal Roach is about to expire and urges "Babe" Hardy to insist on being let out of his contract, too, so the duo can finally get control and make some good movies. This is unsettled as the two walk onto the soundstage, don their costumes, and do an absolute letter-perfect imitation of Laurel and Hardy doing the dance.

Then, seventeen years later, after never gaining control of their own careers, the duo are off on a theatrical tour of Great Britain and Ireland, trying to make some money and at the same time trying to connect with a British producer to back a pet project of theirs--a comic version of Robin Hood. From there the movie tells of their highs and lows, their quarrels and their deep friendship.

I won't spoil it, but for me the epitome of the film comes after the two have essentially broken up. But then when each of them tentatively tries to apologize to the other, they get into a linguistic tangle that could have come from one of their films. Hardy pauses, asks with a straight face, "What's my next line?" And Laurel supplies one.

The film is not only about two great comedians on their last big fling as a team, but also, deeply, with some sentimentality but not that much, the story of how friends can overcome anything and still like, even love each other.

I kinda liked it, in other words. My wife liked it, too, but said there weren't enough CGI laser battles.