snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 31 December 2018, 03:30 PM

Default When you’re racist but it’s totes satire, peeps

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyng...is-dead-again/

These NFBSKgoblins need to take a look at exactly how Chris Morris did it. His method worked a charm.

Quote:
Some alt-right wackaloon has announced a new vidyagame, Jesus Strikes Back: Judgment Day. It features a gun-toting Jesus, “Dolph”, an Austrian with a toothbrush mustache (not to be confused, they insist, with Hitler), an orange blonde guy named “Tromp” (not to be confused, etc.), “Pootin” (ntbc…), “Mussolino”, etc., etc., etc. as the heroes, who are on a mission to kill “radical social justice warriors,” “radical feminists,” “radical LGBT militants,” oh god I’m already bored and tired of this bullshit game, and it hasn’t even been made yet. Oh also, one class of enemies are “Doctors”, who vaccinate people.
I’m too afraid to go to the link given (horrible racisms aside, the security certificate isn’t good). So I shall also post a link to a Friendly Atheist post: https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...ng-gay-people/
Old 31 December 2018, 05:28 PM

As some of the comments in that thread point out, it looks like the game is really a cash-grab that's going to end up as shovelware at best and more likely turn out to be vaporware or just a scam.
Old 01 January 2019, 03:01 AM

So it’s “I lost money to own the libs”?

…you know, that sounds like just about everything else the alt-right is doing (otherwise known as a “self-own”)…
Old 01 January 2019, 03:19 AM

Mouse

Like I’ve said before, Obama is a damn fool for never taking advantage of the Right’s kneejerk “Support what he opposes and oppose whatever he supports” policy. It’s like shooting at every part of the Death Star while ignoring the exhaust port. You could have given an impassioned speech on why you shouldn’t run your car inside a closed garage or wear cement booties when you go swimming. Or just say something like “All the stuff mentioned in ”Dumb Ways to Die” really are Dumb Ways to Die.”

But he didn’t. And look where we are now.
Old 01 January 2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
So it’s “I lost money to own the libs”?

…you know, that sounds like just about everything else the alt-right is doing (otherwise known as a “self-own”)…
Probably. Reminds me of a blog I used to follow: the guy called himself liberal but began embracing the Alt-Right because he was so upset about LGBT people, people of ethnicities other than white, and LGBT people of ethnicities other than white trying to point out that their wants and needs were different from cisgender heterosexual white peoples'.

Except he was Jewish and was pretty embarrassed when he figured out that these "genius, clear thinkers" he'd been touting were anti-Semitic Holocaust deniers.
Old 01 January 2019, 07:19 AM

On a sort-of related note, something I've considered trying to address is the issue of comedy making use of racial (and other) stereotypes in an attempt to poke fun, not at the people being stereotyped, but of the people who believe in such stereotypes. I think it is a valid approach, but the lines can get realllly blurred sometimes. For example, I think "South Park" sometimes (perhaps often) skids over the line here. Or you wind up with something that winds up being seen differently by different people: essentially, the people who laugh at Cartman, and the people who laugh with him.

I recall reading an analysis of "All in the Family" back in the day, that noted there there were four prevalent reactions to the show. There were the liberals who disliked the show for glorifying Archie Bunker (I have a friend who disliked the show for that reason). There were the liberals who loved it for the way it lampooned the views of Archie Bunker. There were the conservatives who hated it for the way it lampooned the views of Archie Bunker. And there were the conservatives for whom Archie Bunker became a hero.

Anyway, I suspect I will never try to do a serious analysis because *I* don't know where the line is, or how much it depends on the audience, or for that matter, the performer. (Isaac Asimov once noted that there is nothing a Jewish audience likes better than a Jewish comedian doing Jewish jokes in an authentic Yiddish accent -- and nothing the same audience hates more than hearing those same exact jokes from a gentile comedian in what said comedian thinks is an authentic Yiddish accent...) All I really have to say on the subject is, "Be damned careful."
Old 01 January 2019, 05:55 PM

And then there was George Carlin's old stand-up routine about Officer Beats A [Word that starts with "n"] that African American audiences generally liked because it was a clear skewering of racist police officers (specifically the LAPD, IIRC). Most of the time, a white comedian wouldn't be able to use that specific word (heck, even a lot of black comedians have stopped in the years since George's death), but it was considered acceptable because of the very specific context that he did it in.
Old 01 January 2019, 07:48 PM

Unfortunately, even when it's done well, people often mistake ridicule of racists with ridicule of the targets of racism -- as with All in the Family and Blazing Saddles.
Old 02 January 2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
On a sort-of related note, something I've considered trying to address is the issue of comedy making use of racial (and other) stereotypes in an attempt to poke fun, not at the people being stereotyped, but of the people who believe in such stereotypes. I think it is a valid approach, but the lines can get realllly blurred sometimes. For example, I think "South Park" sometimes (perhaps often) skids over the line here. Or you wind up with something that winds up being seen differently by different people: essentially, the people who laugh at Cartman, and the people who laugh with him.
Or, stealthier still, the people who laugh at characters like Cartman and end up repeating some of the attitudes in a way that's supposed to be ironic but just ends supporting people who genuinely do believe those things (who are suddenly in a position of being funny memes).

I also think there are people who laugh at characters like Cartman but end up also end up agreeing with them on some things as a way to justify continuing to like this terrible character (see also: people who claim Dwight from The Office is a reasonable guy just because they feel sorry for how he's treated at times).

I always think of the latter as the Gene Hunt Problem. Gene Hunt is a character from a British TV show sort-of set in the seventies (and later sort-of the eighties) who was an archetypal racist, sexist, ableist, everything-ist copper. He was also, undoubtedly, kind of awesome and so funny it was hard not to like him. It can be too confusing to hold both things as true at the same time, meaning that many fans (and eventually the writers, in my opinion) ending up downplaying what an arsehole he was. Originally he was shown to be wrong more often than he was right and his shortcomings were portrayed as real problems for somebody in his job, but then he ended up being - at least in the minds of fans - somebody who was a bit rough round the edges but got things done better than the soft, paper-work writing, rule-following police of nowadays.

Oh, and let's not forgot as well when a character is meant to be a parody of some sort but they're so shoddily written that it's hard to tell what they're supposed to be lampooning. Like Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno, who was ostensibly created to make fun of homophobes but somehow ended up getting lost in a sea of stereotypes that were so over-the-top they might have made actual raging homophobes go 'Now, hang on a minute...'. People were just baffled about this ridiculous guy in his ridiculous outfits.