snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 16 January 2007, 04:14 PM
Ezri

All my life I had short hair cause my mom complained about it when I was living at home. Just a year ago (Almost 2 now) I decided to let it grow, and it's almost down to my waist (A few more inches to go! YES!) I hope it doesn't stop where it is now, my mom HATES it and I LOVE it and I guess I just want to make her hate it more.

Anyway, my Mom has been plucking her eyebrows for years and now she barely needs to pluck at all. My sister plucks hers all the time, she tried to pluck mine once but it was too painful and I'm a wimp and I started crying...LoL But aparently thick eyebrows are in style so whatever. My mom also used to get electrolosis on her chin to remove hairs but she had to do it every few months or so they never stopped growing, until she hit menopause...weird?
Old 16 January 2007, 04:52 PM

Isn't Barabara (wife of George H.W.) Bush another person who claims that their hair turned rapidly white after a traumatic event? IIRC, her daughter (younger than George W.) died of leukemia in childhood, and this turned her hair white.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:23 AM

Glasses when hair is plucked 2 greys will grow in its place

well personally i think it is just dum for the simple fact that i have pulled out hair in my head and i have never had a grey hair in my head also that would apply to the legs to for women
Old 28 January 2007, 01:10 PM

I've been growing my hair for about... four years... and it's at roughly waist length. Very fine hair, mostly straight but prone to splitting or frizzing. I apparently have an awful lot of hair, though when I put it in a ponytail it's a narrow ponytail.
Old 30 January 2007, 12:08 AM
Koshka

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThistleS View Post
It depends on what they mean. If they mean they never wash it at all, they might have dreadlocks which actually benefit from not washing. They also might mean that they never apply shampoo or soap, but rather rinse it. Some people feel that rinsing with water is healthier for hair.
We haven't had one of those threads for a while (and the search function for the list archives is, shall we say, less than effective), but IIRC the argument is that your scalp won't produce as much oil if you're not shampooing -- so daily brushings will be enough. They also rinse with water or herbal infusions.
Old 04 February 2007, 09:03 PM
Rainmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
According to a male friend, it's a good job I never had babies and shaved those hairs off in order to breast feed as the baby would have gotten beard rash after feeding .

Nipple hair in women is not uncommon. I pluck, but they seem to reappear and grow at an incredible rate and go from nothing to over an inch long in no time at all.

Perhaps I shouldn't have eaten all my porridge, all my greens and all my crusts.

If you really want to get rid of your nipple hairs, get them lasered.

Rainmom
Old 05 March 2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
Isn't Barabara (wife of George H.W.) Bush another person who claims that their hair turned rapidly white after a traumatic event? IIRC, her daughter (younger than George W.) died of leukemia in childhood, and this turned her hair white.

I read that she and GHW went golfing the day she died, and they didn't bother to let GW know about his sister for a couple of days, so it doesn't sound like losing a child was terribly traumatic for her.

Back on topic, I wash my hair every morning and towel/air dry it. In the winter I condition it so it doesnt fly around.
Old 06 March 2007, 11:59 PM

I don't wax my facial hair because I change my mind on how I want it to look a lot. I've done full beard, clean shaven, goatee, stubble - I couldn't handle the thought of not being able to change my mind for a length of time.

My scalp is extremely oily, so I find that I have to wash my hair every 2 days, at least, or it starts to smell funny and get greasy.
Old 30 May 2007, 09:28 PM

My dh is convinced that if he shaved the small amount of facial hair that he has, that it will come back in thicker and he could grow a beard. I have tried waxing his facial hair but it does not grow all in one direction therefore it won't come out very easily. I have to wax several times and it is easier to just pluck them.

Another OWT I've heard about hair is that you shouldn't cut a child hair before their first birthday because it will make them have "bad" hair. This is just for babies of African descent.
Old 30 May 2007, 10:59 PM

I've been hearing the one about hair needing to be trimmed regularly to grow out quickly for a while now, from stylists and beauty magazines, and I'm highly skeptical. I know the ends of hairs tend to split, but I'm not sure I buy that
1) a split will travel up the hair if it's not cut off (how does that work, exactly?)
2) splits only occur on the last inch of hair, so a trim would solve the problem
I think, if anything, trimming your hair would result in more damage, because you're "exposing" new ends that might otherwise have been somewhat protected by the surrounding hair. I'm sure some stylists who perpetuate this idea really believe it, but it seems awfully convenient that this counterintuitive bit of wisdom (if you want long hair, cut it often) would be true.
Old 04 June 2007, 01:57 AM

Icon202 Sure sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
But that is also an old wive's tale! Getting chilled and catching a chill are different things. A chill (or cold) is a viral infection spread by coughs and sneezes. I caught something on TV about this the other night - it suggested that the fact you often feel chilly in the early stages of a cold (before you get the head cold symptoms) led our ancestors to assume colds were the result of chilling rather than the chilly feeling being and early symptom of infection.
I DARE ya to convince an old wife of this....
Old 04 June 2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Another old wives' tale is supposedly that you're supposed to shave a baby's head at some point (before it's a year old?) because otherwise the hair will grow in thin and fine. So even though I was born with a lot of fairly thick hair, I was still shaved. (It's still thick and voluminous to this very day.)
Only in cases of prenatal lice...

(ETA: I kind of hate when people make obscure reference jokes, and I guess this is one - so I'll tell you it's from Scrubs)
Old 04 June 2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I've been hearing the one about hair needing to be trimmed regularly to grow out quickly for a while now, from stylists and beauty magazines, and I'm highly skeptical. I know the ends of hairs tend to split, but I'm not sure I buy that
1) a split will travel up the hair if it's not cut off (how does that work, exactly?)
2) splits only occur on the last inch of hair, so a trim would solve the problem
I think, if anything, trimming your hair would result in more damage, because you're "exposing" new ends that might otherwise have been somewhat protected by the surrounding hair. I'm sure some stylists who perpetuate this idea really believe it, but it seems awfully convenient that this counterintuitive bit of wisdom (if you want long hair, cut it often) would be true.
1. My splits never travelled up the hair.
2. That's true with me. Once I notice split ends (it can take over a year for me to notice them, or to get enough for me to notice), they get cut off. About an inch. Then the whole process starts again.

Morrigan
Old 06 June 2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
I DARE ya to convince an old wife of this....
Or my grandmother or mil.
Old 11 June 2007, 03:21 PM
Duckie Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
1. My splits never travelled up the hair.
2. That's true with me. Once I notice split ends (it can take over a year for me to notice them, or to get enough for me to notice), they get cut off. About an inch. Then the whole process starts again.

Morrigan
My splits always travel up. It would probably help if I got regular trims but I'm lazy and cheap. Last time I had to get 2 inches cut off just to manage the rattiness. Next time you see a split grab the two ends and pull apart. It will either break or travel upwards.

Some religions require the parents to have the baby’s head shaved ASAP. Otherwise it is “unclean”.
Old 11 June 2007, 04:18 PM

Glasses

This is strange but now that I'm in my 40s my legs don't get that hairy. However, the pits still do. Nothing like saving wear and tear on the ol' razor!
Old 29 July 2008, 07:53 AM
Mint Crisps

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Crisps View Post
I've just been reading a true-story book about the youngest Anzac at Gallipoli (14 years old), and it told of his mother's hair going white with shock overnight when she got the telegram about her son's death. So if it's true, it must be able to happen.

Mint "If it's true, then it happened" Crisps
Here's a link to the book which states what I was talking about oh so long ago about the mum's hair turning white overnight.

Still, after reading on the web about insta overnight-platinum-hair, I think that the writer may have been exaggerating for extra effect, despite it being a non-fiction story. Possible though her hair may have changed color from the shock over a few months, not in 24 hours.
Old 06 August 2008, 11:02 PM
Odd Tree

Quote:
I don't remember where I heard it, but the rationale behind the "2 will grow in its place" does seem to have a little bit of scientific fact. Supposedly, for every hair that is growing, its follicle is sending out signals that suppress the growth of hair in 10 or so surrounding follicles. When the hair is plucked, if the follicle is damaged, it ceases the suppression, and allows other(s) of the follicles to begin growing. This is supposedly why it takes so long for waxing to affect the thickness of the returning hairs, and why electrolysis must be done multiple times. Even when a follicle is killed, there are multiple dormant follicles waiting to take its place.

But based on this theory if you killed enough folicles, you could have no hair left anymore? Is that how electrolysis works?
Old 18 August 2008, 06:24 PM
Vendicare

We didn't cut our daughter's hair until after she took First Communion. I never looked for a rationale, it was just a family thing. She loves her hair so much, as it is thick and shiny with a wave and loose curls. We brush it, spray condition it, and braid it every night before bed. She washes it twice a week. We keep an eye out for breakage with a little tip we learned. Lightly mist the hair until damp, and then comb it down the person's back. If it all lays limp, you are fine. If you have some ends that are fuzzy and stand up, you have some breakage, and need a small trim.

At 10 years old, we keep her hair cut to just above her butt, so she doesn't sit on it when she is seated.

Her hairstylist told us that people think hair grows thicker after a cut because they see their childrens' hair go from the baby fine hair of infancy to their adult hair at about 8 or so.

Of course, what do I know- My oldest son didn't have hair past the tips of his ears until he was 5, and my second son has such thick blonde curls that his stylist refers to "shearing" him, not cutting his hair.
Old 13 November 2008, 12:01 AM

My mother used to use the 'eating your crusts will make your hair curly' thing on me.

Looking back, the thing that surprises me most is that over the course of several years she never figured out I wanted straight hair...