snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 10 January 2007, 08:28 PM
Mint Crisps

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa who else View Post

Your hair will turn white overnight from shock. (It doesn't.)
I've just been reading a true-story book about the youngest Anzac at Gallipoli (14 years old), and it told of his mother's hair going white with shock overnight when she got the telegram about her son's death. So if it's true, it must be able to happen.

Mint "If it's true, then it happened" Crisps
Old 10 January 2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Crisps View Post
I've just been reading a true-story book about the youngest Anzac at Gallipoli (14 years old), and it told of his mother's hair going white with shock overnight when she got the telegram about her son's death. So if it's true, it must be able to happen.

Mint "If it's true, then it happened" Crisps
That's a big if.
Old 11 January 2007, 01:57 AM

My hair is down to my hips, and it's very straight. It only waves when wet or when it's been in a braid or bund. And yes, I eat my bread and my pizza crusts!
I hope my eyebrows stop growing with repeated waxings, since I would have a faint unibrow if I didn't wax/tweeze. Does anyone else sneeze violently when tweezing the eyebrows? That drives me nuts.
Old 11 January 2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateslife View Post
I hope my eyebrows stop growing with repeated waxings, since I would have a faint unibrow if I didn't wax/tweeze. Does anyone else sneeze violently when tweezing the eyebrows? That drives me nuts.
Yep - makes me sneeze too. These days I only pluck a few straggly brow hairs though.
Old 11 January 2007, 09:46 AM
Mint Crisps

Here's something at the following site about hair turning white 'overnight':

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09...dy_shock_hair/

But here's another one vehemently, in just two or three paragraphs, debunking the myth:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...z&ct=clnk&cd=6

Last edited by Mint Crisps; 11 January 2007 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Add another site
Old 11 January 2007, 10:37 AM

One of the annoying things about growing older is that your hair stops growing in certain places but decides to go rampant in others. For most of my adult life any nasal hair I had was doing its job, and appeared to be stationary. Now If I don't regularly trim it, I'll end up like one of those auld geezers I see about town with moustaches coming out of their nostrils
Old 11 January 2007, 10:45 AM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Yep - makes me sneeze too. These days I only pluck a few straggly brow hairs though.
Ack! I'm not the only one! That makes me so happy.
Old 11 January 2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2U View Post
One of the annoying things about growing older is that your hair stops growing in certain places but decides to go rampant in others. For most of my adult life any nasal hair I had was doing its job, and appeared to be stationary. Now If I don't regularly trim it, I'll end up like one of those auld geezers I see about town with moustaches coming out of their nostrils
I'm a girly and I have to pluck some nasal hairs. Like yours, these behaved for years and have now gone rampant.
Old 11 January 2007, 09:24 PM
wild1

Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila Mockingbird View Post
Hooray! I'm fashionable!

I would be do, but it says eyebrowS
Old 12 January 2007, 01:05 PM
JessBoo

Quote:
According to my hairdresser:

If you pluck out grey hairs, 2 will grow back in its place.

If women pluck out whisker hairs, they will grow back thicker.

Personally, I reckon that these are more to do with being aware of those hairs and their regrowth. I don't see that a hair follicle will suddenly produce 2 grey hairs after one has been plucked - otherwise we'd have a sure for balding! My beauty therapist youngest sister says the exact opposite about plucking/waxing whisker hairs - they eventually grow back more weakly. My feeling is that the stubble of a regrowing whisker feels harder due to being shorter and less flexible (certainly that's my experience - I am very aware of the regrowth, but can't afford a permanent solution such as electrolysis).

According to my great gran (according to my mother):

You should not wash your hair while menstruating or you'll get ill.

What is the rationale for this belief?

My mum does sugaring for a living and has been doing her own legs for years. She barely has any hair left now. Ripping the hairs out does make the root weaker. I think the hairs look/feel thicker after hair removal because with shaving, you're taking a tapered hair and chopping the end off, making it blunt- and making it look and feel thicker. With sugaring/waxing, (and i could be wrong but I'm sure I've been told this before) when the hair is pulled, the follicle is pulled in that direction- so if you're pulling upwards, the hair that grows back is going to stand proud of the skin. It certainly happens with my eyebrows.
Old 12 January 2007, 08:39 PM

My hairstylist tells me that I shouldn't wash my hair every day, because doing that actually causes the scalp to react by producing more oil, which then means you have to wash more frequently, and so on. She claims she only washes every 3rd day or so and her hair looks fine.

And as for plucking eyebrows until they're gone, I wish that were true because I have been fighting mine for 15 years and they still get out of control if I don't pluck them down.
Old 12 January 2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thera View Post
My hairstylist tells me that I shouldn't wash my hair every day, because doing that actually causes the scalp to react by producing more oil, which then means you have to wash more frequently, and so on. She claims she only washes every 3rd day or so and her hair looks fine.

And as for plucking eyebrows until they're gone, I wish that were true because I have been fighting mine for 15 years and they still get out of control if I don't pluck them down.
Whether or not your hair would benefit from not being washed every day depends a lot on the texture of your hair and how oily it is naturally. I have a moderately oily scalp, but my hair is extremely dry due to chemical processing. I wash my hair once a week. There has been no marked decrease in how much oil my scalp produces, but my hair is a lot healthier for not shampooing and blowdrying it daily.
Old 13 January 2007, 01:18 AM

I wash every two to three days, usually two because my hair tends to get tangled at the end of the second day. I've only found one shampoo that I can use by itself (without a follow-up conditioner), because my hair tangles if I don't condition it. Usually, the second or third day I wear my hair in a braid to keep it from tangling.

Slightly off topic, has anyone ever had a perm that actually produced big waves? Mine always looked early Chelsea Clinton-ish.
Old 13 January 2007, 01:38 AM

In my first career, I worked as a hairdresser for two years. Washing your hair daily is not good if you have an oily scalp. I've settled on every 3 days or so, and have converted DW to once a week, who has a dry scalp, which is enough for her. However, DD needs to wash almost daily to keep it in shine.
The boys have so little hair that washing daily, which they do when they shower, is irrelevant to the oils produced.

Hair seems to stops growing, when it reaches its maximum lenght, which differs from individual to individual. I've no idea why.
Old 13 January 2007, 02:13 AM

I have been working in a salon as an assistant for 10+ years. (I have the same education and license as a stylist)

I have never seen a perm give big waves on long hair. You can get a nice loose perm and then hot roller it. Long hair on big rods does not give much curl at the scalp tho. If you have thick healthy hair you may be able to brush it into waves, but in my experience that doesn't happen too often.
There was a perm that supposedly washed out in 6 weeks that gave waves. I used to use it on myself as I have well water and it lasted me more like six months with no fuzz but they discontinued it, it was called a semi perm...or somthing like it.

Much of what has been discussed varies from person to person, much like how medications do. (what works for one doesn't work for all)

Hair length is determined by the growing cycle as llewtrah said.

Shaving a baby's head: I have never heard of this practise, but unlike eyebrows, shaving will not change how a baby's hair grows. You are not disturbing the follicle by shaving. The eybrows however can be VERY slow growing and not return to thier fullest. Plucking or waxing is disturbing the follicle and therefore can reduce the number of hairs over time.

Straight, wavy and curly hair is determined by the angle in which the hair is growing out of the scalp. The more of an angle, the more curly. Cancer patients often notice a change when they lose all the hair in chemo. To my understanding, this is because the natural process has been altered and new hairs may "poke" through differently.

Thats all I have for now!
Old 13 January 2007, 02:49 AM
Koshka

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPurrson View Post
I knew of an older lady who was convinced that if a woman washed her hair (or bathed) during that time of the month, it would be fatal. Don't know why, don't know how...
Well, I just got out of the shower, and it's that time of month. And I both bathed and washed my hair. Let's see if I make it to the end of the week .

I've heard the bread crust story, but never paid that much attention to it. As long as I keep my hair trimmed (no longer than shoulder-length), I have a natural wave that has gotten comments from hairdressers.

I'm on some mailing lists that discuss historical costuming, and there's been a few threads on historical hair care (well, if you're going to spend $400 on the fabric for a reenactment outfit, you're going to want the rest of you to look appropriate). There's some people who say they haven't washed their hair for years -- just regular brushing with natural-bristle brushes and regular rinsing with either plain water or herbal infusions. I haven't tried this, I can't stand going longer than three days between washes ... and that's in dead of winter, if it's hot and my scalp sweats I've gotta wash daily.
Old 13 January 2007, 05:29 AM

Royalty White overnight?

It's interesting that the article in the Register on people's hair turning white mentioned Marie Antionette. My DH told me that that particular UL might have come from the French Revolution when they were sending all those nobles to the guillotine. The idea was that they would appear in public without their wigs for the first time in years... et voila, their hair was abruptly white! Must have been the shock of being locked up in the Bastille that did it...

Just now the DH told me he thinks he found that explanation on the old message board (we've both been lurking for some time and just recently joined up - I joined up just in time to have to register again before I could post...) but my searching skills do not seem to be up to the task at the moment.
Old 15 January 2007, 12:24 PM

I wash my hair when it needs it, rather than a set frequency. If it gets greasy I wash it (tends to be every 4-5 days, but varies, especially if I've been wearing a woolly hat in winter). If it gets some sort of contaminant in it, I wash it. if it doesn't smell good (e.g. smells smoky after going to a pub), I wash it.

What about people who say they never wash their hair? How does that work then?

I was also told that talcum powder can be used as dry shampoo if you need to spruce hair up for a day and it's not convenient/possible to wash it. Presumably this absorbs the grease, but if you did it too often it would form chalky lumps.

Last edited by llewtrah; 15 January 2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 15 January 2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
There's some people who say they haven't washed their hair for years -- just regular brushing with natural-bristle brushes and regular rinsing with either plain water or herbal infusions. I haven't tried this, I can't stand going longer than three days between washes ... and that's in dead of winter, if it's hot and my scalp sweats I've gotta wash daily.
Doesn't cider vinegar clean hair?
Old 16 January 2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:

What about people who say they never wash their hair? How does that work then?
It depends on what they mean. If they mean they never wash it at all, they might have dreadlocks which actually benefit from not washing. They also might mean that they never apply shampoo or soap, but rather rinse it. Some people feel that rinsing with water is healthier for hair.

Quote:
I was also told that talcum powder can be used as dry shampoo if you need to spruce hair up for a day and it's not convenient/possible to wash it. Presumably this absorbs the grease, but if you did it too often it would form chalky lumps.
I often use baby powder or powders made specifically for hair (such as Bumble & Bumble Hair Powder) if I want to go an extra day or two without washing. It works pretty well to absorb oil, but it does NOT make your hair feel clean. Powders are also good texturizers if you want to tease your hair.

My hair takes a long time to dry. If I let it air dry, it takes about six hours to be dry all the way through. If I blow dry it, it takes about an hour. That's another reason I limit how often I wash it- washing it ends up being an all-evening activity.