snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 07 January 2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Squirrel View Post
I love bread, and yet my hair is still flat. Am I doing something wrong?
I'm just the opposite. I hate eating bread and cake products and I have naturally curly hair.
Old 08 January 2007, 06:14 AM

There's this urban legends website that I know of...

Here's what I found there about some of these legends.

This one alludes to washing your hair during your period.
Old 08 January 2007, 06:22 AM

My hair grows quite quickly, I can grow it out halfway down my back in under 2 years, with no trims.
Old 08 January 2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I've heard that the reason why men don't is because men's facial hair is too coarse to remove via waxing.
It's not in my observation any thicker than pubic hair, and pubic hair can be waxed. I think men don't wax for more historic and cultural reasons than physical ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
If you don't trim your hair regularly, it won't grow as fast. (Split ends breakage, maybe?)
It's not so much that it won't grow as fast as that it won't get long as fast due to the ends breaking off. Trimming will not change the rate at which it grows out of your head though.

Quote:
If you shave off your eyebrows, they might never grow back! (I wish this worked on my upper lip and nether regions)
Anecdotally, eyebrow hair does seem pretty sensitive to things like shaving. I've spoken to a few women who say that they shaved them off once and they never grew back as thick. I've spoken to more than a few women who've plucked too many hairs and they never grew back.
Old 08 January 2007, 07:13 PM

Flame Not always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThistleS View Post
Anecdotally, eyebrow hair does seem pretty sensitive to things like shaving. I've spoken to a few women who say that they shaved them off once and they never grew back as thick. I've spoken to more than a few women who've plucked too many hairs and they never grew back.
I think it depends on genetics (like sooo many other things). I have a fairly pronounced uni-brow that I have been plucking/shaving/waxing for more than 20 years now with no noticeable reduction in hair volume or rate of re-growth.
Old 08 January 2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
If you shave off your eyebrows, they might never grow back! (I wish this worked on my upper lip and nether regions)
That's exactly what happened to Lucille Ball. She had her eyebrows shaved for a role in a movie early in her career, and they never grew back. She considered her eyebrow pencil her most important makeup tool.
Old 08 January 2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
One of my aunts, when she was young, would completely pluck her eyebrows and draw them in again a la Joan Crawford. At some point her brows stopped growing back and she had to pencil them in for the rest of her life. At least she had the good sense to switch to a silver pencil after she let her hair go gray.
Old 08 January 2007, 08:16 PM

My mother plucked her eyebrows religiously in the 70s, into a very flattering and timeless shape (sort of a Marilyn shape but a bit longer) and now she doesn't have to pluck them at all, ever. She has a few strays but the basic shape is permanent. I intend to wax mine religiously until I acheive the same effect.
Old 09 January 2007, 09:40 AM
CatPurrson

Icon220

I knew of an older lady who was convinced that if a woman washed her hair (or bathed) during that time of the month, it would be fatal. Don't know why, don't know how...

I also heard the "bread crust" one from my grandmother, but I think it was just her way of getting a picky kid to eat the crusts on her sandwich!

I have a friend that swears her daughter's hair got thicker (as in, more of it, not larger-diameter strands) due to regular haircuts.

A friend of mine once told me that having one's hair cut "shocks" or "traumatizes" it, and it needs a few days to recover to be back to its old self. (I could understand more if she meant that the hairspray buildup needs to be thoroughly washed off, or the blow-drier cooked it, but what does cutting do? Hair's dead.)

Have often heard that cutting hair makes it grow faster.

There was an article once in a tabloid (years and years ago) about a woman who claimed that her hair bled if she cut it. Included was a picture of her standing on a balcony with her hair hanging over, past her feet by several inches.

I'm disappointed (and a little frightened) that my hair seems to be getting thinner as I get older. It's still pretty thick, but not nearly as thick as it was when I was a teenager. I used to hardly be able to wrap my fingers around my ponytail. Now my thumb can touch my whole index-fingernail.

Cat"not bald yet"Purrson
Old 09 January 2007, 02:11 PM
prrrfukt

Ive heard all of those, and I've also heard that your suppose to lose 100 hairs a day, to allow regrowth, otherwise you go bauld..

I'm not sure why 100 is the magic number, but its what I heard!
Old 09 January 2007, 03:23 PM

How long does one have to grow out their hair before it can be waxed? If the ideal length is a quarter inch, that would take me about 3 weeks to grow out my facial hair to that length. It would be very uneven, look extremely bad along the way, even though the benefits of waxing would be great. I think that this reason - because the face is exposed and the state between "clean shaven" and "bearded" was traditionally frowned upon (and continues to be considered as "unkempt" in some circles) - is why men don't wax their face. Most men are obliged to shave every day and can't wait until the hair is long enough for waxing.
Old 09 January 2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
How long does one have to grow out their hair before it can be waxed? If the ideal length is a quarter inch, that would take me about 3 weeks to grow out my facial hair to that length. It would be very uneven, look extremely bad along the way, even though the benefits of waxing would be great. I think that this reason - because the face is exposed and the state between "clean shaven" and "bearded" was traditionally frowned upon (and continues to be considered as "unkempt" in some circles) - is why men don't wax their face. Most men are obliged to shave every day and can't wait until the hair is long enough for waxing.
I'm sure this is at least part of the reason.
Old 09 January 2007, 10:38 PM

speaking of hair, as we all are, does anyone else remember the old song where it says, dont never have to cut it cause it stops by itself, cowsils 1969. man, i really dated myself this time
Quote:
I'm sure this is at least part of the reason.
Old 09 January 2007, 11:02 PM

Well, I've heard that hair will only grow so long, but it varies person to person. I'm afraid to find out how long mine will grow, due to how much it weighs when it reaches waist-length.

Morrigan
Old 10 January 2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Well, I've heard that hair will only grow so long, but it varies person to person. I'm afraid to find out how long mine will grow, due to how much it weighs when it reaches waist-length.
Hair has a growing cycle. An active follicle produces hair during its growing cycle and then shed the hair, goes dormant for a while and then starts growing hair again. If you have a short growing cycle your uncut hair will always remain short. If you have a long growing cycle (or a fast growth rate) each hair will get pretty long before it is shed.

Mine never gets more than shoulder length and the fringe area has a shorter growth cycle than the rest of my head hair. A male colleague used to have hair down to his waist. How I envied him!
Old 10 January 2007, 06:30 AM

Another old wives' tale is supposedly that you're supposed to shave a baby's head at some point (before it's a year old?) because otherwise the hair will grow in thin and fine. So even though I was born with a lot of fairly thick hair, I was still shaved. (It's still thick and voluminous to this very day.)
Old 10 January 2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post

Morrigan
The was some medical/scientific institution here some months ago supposedly looking for people who grew their hair to the maximum length. They were going to study the reasons why hair stops to grow at a certain (individual) length.

I don't remember the instituion in question, and I don't know about the outcome of the study, but the study alone implies that hair does indeed stop to grow by itslelf.

Or it was a hoax.

Don Enrico
Old 10 January 2007, 11:53 AM

One of the only reasons I'm still growing my hair is that I am intrigued as to how long it can get. I liked having short hair. Short hair was nice and easy...

One of my friends had evidently heard the old wives tale that your hair can go white from shock. When she noticed I have a streak of white hair she asked if something had shocked me when I was little. The first time she asked it just confused me but unfortunately she would forget I had any white hairs (the streak isn't/wasn't too noticeable) so when she saw it again she would ask me again.

The fact I have white eyebrow hairs and eyelashes never raised as much comment from her, if any.

ETA: The only person who told me that crusts give you curly hair was my grandad who ate them and has been bald since I was born. Strangely, this never made me doubt his claims.
Old 10 January 2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Mine never gets more than shoulder length and the fringe area has a shorter growth cycle than the rest of my head hair. A male colleague used to have hair down to his waist. How I envied him!
I remember seeing my Sikh friend's hair for the first time - it was beautiful: thick, black, wavy and in absolutely perfect condition. He'd never had it cut in his life and it was almost down to his mid-thigh level, but because he wore it under his turban nearly all the time it wasn't subject to any damage whatsoever and was sleek and glossy and gorgeous.
Old 10 January 2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
I remember seeing my Sikh friend's hair for the first time - it was beautiful: thick, black, wavy and in absolutely perfect condition. He'd never had it cut in his life and it was almost down to his mid-thigh level, but because he wore it under his turban nearly all the time it wasn't subject to any damage whatsoever and was sleek and glossy and gorgeous.
One of my Sikh friends came to a fancy dress party with his hair let down and in a Darth Vader outfit. Nobody recognised him because we'd never seen his hair. It was beautiful hair.