snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 18 April 2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I, on the other hand, have a car that needs a transmission re-build every 1000 miles or so. Maybe it has something to do with it being a rally race car?
I dunno - do you race backwards?
Old 18 April 2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
I dunno - do you race backwards?
Not intentionally most of the time. But most of my rally career has been in various Saabs which are front wheel drive. One event, we hit a long rocky uphill climb. I was not able to get a running start at the hill and could not maintain traction all the way up as the front wheels kept bouncing off the ground. So I was able to turn around and back up the hill. I was able to maintain traction as the weight of the car was now concentrated on the "back" wheels which were now the drive wheels.

But I do shift without using the clutch, jump the car ala Dukes of Hazard, make starts at 4000 RPM and otherwise abuse the entire car. Want to buy a used car from me? It has been "adult" driven.
Old 19 April 2007, 02:05 PM
Delta-V

Quote:
In thinking about transmission design, there is a little bit of truth about reverse wearing the transmission out sooner. Because reverse is not used as much as the other gears, it is designed smaller and is less able to handle wear. Also, reverse gear is generally not synchronized. And metal chips from the reverse gear, if damaged, could float around in the transmission and damage other gears. It is a stretch I know.
Reverse, if not synchronized, usually uses straight-toothed (spur) gears, which are actually stronger than the helical gears used in the forward gears. That's why reverse on most cars makes that distinctive whining noise. You can also hear it on many race cars (Trans Am series cars, for example), since they use the stronger spur gears. While the reverse gears may be smaller, they may also be stronger. The only problem I can think of is if you don't completely stop before going in to reverse, you could chip the non-synchronized gears, leading to the aformentioned metal chips.
Old 20 April 2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
The idea that reducing the amount of backing up will make a difference in the life of a transmission seems pretty silly.

I've been driving for several decades. I have driven several cars "into the ground". You know, drive it so long that when it is replaced it goes to the junk yard since the resale value is essentially $0 (and I take pretty good care of my cars).

I'm part of a very large extended family that probably owns 30+ cars at any one time.

In all that car experience the number of times a transmission has had a problem?

Zero.

Transmissions just don't fail all that often. When a car goes to the junk yard the transmission still works fine.
Is your experience mainly manual or automatic? I ask purely out of curiosity.
Old 21 April 2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Transmissions just don't fail all that often.
At least once one finds that pedal that makes changing years less noisy.
Old 21 April 2007, 01:51 PM

But I ran out of feet. My right foot is on the gas and my left on the brake and the RPM is falling. Pa Tacket taught me to drive. Well I wish he had. I'd be faster.
Old 21 April 2007, 05:27 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
But I ran out of feet. My right foot is on the gas and my left on the brake and the RPM is falling. Pa Tacket taught me to drive. Well I wish he had. I'd be faster.
I hope you're not serious...

About driving with one foot on the brake and one on the gas, I mean. It seems Sammy Hagar made that a popular (yet dangerous) way to drive back in the '80's.
Old 21 April 2007, 11:21 PM

Of course I am serious. Look up 'left foot braking' and rally. When competing in perfomance rally, the object is to go down the road as fast as possible. And the roads are usually dirt or gravel. In order to induce oversteer into a front wheel drive car, you brake while simultaneously accellerating. This keeps the front wheels turning while locking the backs. And no, this is not considered a 'safe' sport. But it is fun and one I have been doing for over 25 years now. Some day I may get good at it.
Old 22 April 2007, 02:44 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Of course I am serious. Look up 'left foot braking' and rally. When competing in perfomance rally, the object is to go down the road as fast as possible. And the roads are usually dirt or gravel. In order to induce oversteer into a front wheel drive car, you brake while simultaneously accellerating. This keeps the front wheels turning while locking the backs. And no, this is not considered a 'safe' sport. But it is fun and one I have been doing for over 25 years now. Some day I may get good at it.
I missed the part where you said you were a racer. I took that post a bit out of the context. Everything makes a lot more sense now.

And, suddenly, the line from Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55" makes a lot more sense, though I still don't advocate such behavior on city streets.

b "One foot on the brake, one foot on the gas" john13
Old 22 April 2007, 03:09 PM

When the posted speed limit nationwide was 55, I had to cruise in 4th instead of 5th in my Porsche. (Okay it was only a 914). My fuel mileage dropped.

And since I do not own a shop replacing brake pads and shoes, I don't like those people who drive with their left foot resting on the brake pedal. It causes their brakes to wear out early and since the brake lights are on all the time, you can't tell when they are really stopping.
Old 22 April 2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Oops, that should have been "Pa Taket" with no 'c'. Troberg may translate for every one.
Old 22 April 2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Oops, that should have been "Pa Taket" with no 'c'. Troberg may translate for every one.
Are you talking of the rally driver Erik Carlsson "På Taket", so named because of his occasional tendency to roll cars ("på taket" means "on the roof"), inspired by a character by Astrid Lindgren named "Karlsson på taket"?
Old 22 April 2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThistleS View Post
Is your experience mainly manual or automatic? I ask purely out of curiosity.
I've generally driven manuals, the SO automatics. Most of the vehicles owned by family probably run about 5:1 towards automatics.
Old 23 April 2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Are you talking of the rally driver Erik Carlsson "På Taket", so named because of his occasional tendency to roll cars ("på taket" means "on the roof"), inspired by a character by Astrid Lindgren named "Karlsson på taket"?
That is the man. He and Stig Blomqist are my heros.