snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 29 March 2009, 04:37 PM

Skull Eerie Figure Haunts Scottish Castle

Quote:
(March 27) - The figure peers down silently from an upper floor of the ruins of a Scottish castle, wearing what looks like an outfit from the Middle Ages. Could this be a long-dead Scottish earl, or just a random, modern-day visitor?
http://news.aol.com/article/scottish...ghost%2F402383
Old 29 March 2009, 04:51 PM
KKHB

Being ever on the look out for "real" ghost pictures, I was really hoping for more from this one. It definitely looks odd, but more like a puppet to me. The face just doesn't look right (and is too big for the rest I think).

I don't know if it was deliberate or just a weird angle or something but it doesn't look at all like what I would expect of a ghost. Too bad there weren't more pictures of the "ghost" from different perspectives (different visitors' photos perhaps) for comparison.
Old 29 March 2009, 05:07 PM

Icon19

Quote:
Experts on the paranormal are scratching their heads over this image
Wow, it must really be something if even "experts on the paranormal" are baffled.
Old 29 March 2009, 05:28 PM

All I see is the muppet Waldorf looking ashamed of his clothes.
Old 29 March 2009, 05:31 PM

Do we have any data for visitor numbers to Tantallon Castle over the last couple of years? Have they declined somewhat? Does the attraction need some sort of publicity boost? Was Photographer Christopher Aitchison merely a random visitor?

Just asking.
Old 29 March 2009, 05:47 PM

I think it's a huge assumption that the item of interest represents a human figure, one which is based on nothing more than that a small spot on the photo is roughly the color and shape of a human head. Looks to me like it could simply be an illuminated portion of stone.
Old 29 March 2009, 05:56 PM
KKHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Looks to me like it could simply be an illuminated portion of stone.
Hmmmm. That is definitely a possibility. The face that I see in the blow-up of the picture is pretty distinct, but it could be a pattern in the stone. Still looks like a puppet to me though. The clothing (and hand that I can see) would be a bit harder to explain- obviously there could be something on the walkway that when the mind's eye fills in "face" would have to become the rest of the body (or even more stone I guess that might be varying shades of color or in darker spots).

The more I look at the picture though the more I am leaning toward puppet, or something placed in such a way to resemble one.
Old 29 March 2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Looks to me like it could simply be an illuminated portion of stone.
That's exactly what I thought. The colours match the rest of the stone and algae. It's just a coincidence that the arrangement of light and shade combines recognisably as a "face".

Much of Tantallon Castle is open to the elements - the photo doesn't show us enough to know where light could be coming from to illuminate stonework "inside" the window.
Old 29 March 2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embra View Post
That's exactly what I thought. The colours match the rest of the stone and algae. It's just a coincidence that the arrangement of light and shade combines recognisably as a "face".

Much of Tantallon Castle is open to the elements - the photo doesn't show us enough to know where light could be coming from to illuminate stonework "inside" the window.

I will agree as well. The face looked exactly like a small section of the stone work on the outside.
Old 29 March 2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Do we have any data for visitor numbers to Tantallon Castle over the last couple of years? Have they declined somewhat? Does the attraction need some sort of publicity boost? Was Photographer Christopher Aitchison merely a random visitor?

Just asking.
On a recent (October, 2007) holiday to Edinburgh I visited Tantallon Castle with my dad. As the photograph suggests only the walls round the inner bailey survive, apart from a few rooms on the far side of the castle. It's like an elaborate backdrop on a theatre stage. Being thin there were openings on the outer wall which could easily illuminate an area of wall visible from the inner bailey.

On my visit I did not see anything suspicious - but I have been to well over 100 ancient castles (including the two 'most haunted' ones, Dover in Kent and Berry Pomeroy in Devon) and have yet to see or even feel anything eerie.
Old 29 March 2009, 10:44 PM

The face reminds me of the puppets on Mister Rogers. (I wish I could remember the kingdom's name.) The whole thing in general reminds of a christmas ornament from the 70's my parents have. I always thought it was a little freaky. I vote fake, prank, publicity stunt, etc.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:03 PM

I'm with snopes - the 'face' is just illuminated rock. It's especially remarkable that the spectre chose to wear a ruff exactly the colour of moss, considering people wore white ruffs. And I ould be wrong, bt I don't think anybody wore them in the Middle Ages.

Otherwise - damn, that's an ugly ghost.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAAA View Post
The face reminds me of the puppets on Mister Rogers. (I wish I could remember the kingdom's name.)
I think it's simply the land of Make Believe. The particular puppet the "ghost" looks like is Lady Elaine Fairchild, IMHO. She always was pretty creepy, too. The only thing that kept her from being completely creepy was that she was voiced by Fred Rogers (like all the puppets).

Henrietta Pussycat was my favorite.
Old 30 March 2009, 03:13 PM

When I click the link I don't see a picture (except the one at the bottom of a guy in a bubble of something). Does anyone have a link directly to the picture?
Old 30 March 2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I'm with snopes - the 'face' is just illuminated rock. It's especially remarkable that the spectre chose to wear a ruff exactly the colour of moss, considering people wore white ruffs. And I ould be wrong, bt I don't think anybody wore them in the Middle Ages.

Otherwise - damn, that's an ugly ghost.
Why can't it just be a person climbing the stairs in a greenish sort of coat or scarf or something? I don't think the face is the same colour as the stonework - not unless there's some fairly bright yellowish lightsource aimed at a particular point anyway (it seems brighter than the sunlight in the surroundings so I don't think it's just a beam of sunlight). It doesn't appear to be an unusual place for somebody to be standing...
Old 30 March 2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy from strangers View Post
When I click the link I don't see a picture (except the one at the bottom of a guy in a bubble of something). Does anyone have a link directly to the picture?
Does this work any better?
http://news.aol.com/article/scottish...ddeeplinkNum=0

I can't find a link directly to the pic, but that is supposedly the link to share the gallery.
Old 30 March 2009, 04:18 PM

Did you notice that this photo is mentioned in the gallery too and they claim that it the Congo river and not taken on Borneo at all.
Old 30 March 2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Does this work any better?
http://news.aol.com/article/scottish...ddeeplinkNum=0

I can't find a link directly to the pic, but that is supposedly the link to share the gallery.
Still doesn't show up, dern it. Thanks for trying, though .
Old 30 March 2009, 04:50 PM

I thought I would look out the photographs I took whilst visiting the castle. I also re-read the guide book I bought. My visit was on 6th October, 2007. The ghost (if that is what it was) was seen in the Mid Tower, built about 1350. It was next to the main gateway and its five storeys were occupied by the constable and his family. The constable was the the person who ran the castle for the Earl of Angus. The first picture is taken from almost the same position as the 'ghost' photograph. You can see how thin the walls are and the openings I mentioned in my earlier post. However, none of the openings seem to light up the ghost window.

Here is a cropped photograph of the above photograph showing the opening (it is actually a doorway) in question. If the photograph in the article in the OP is of a ghost it did not make an appearance for me.

Finally, here is a third photograph taken as I was half way up climbing the tower. The ghost opening is towards the top left, but alas does not actually show the position where the 'ghost' was seen. You can see how worn the stones are, however. The castle is in a very exposed position just where the Firth of Forth joins the North Sea. Winds would whip across the sea from the Arctic. After 650 years the stones have naturally become rather worn. It would not be surprising if some had weathered into face shapes.

Alas if I took a photograph from the opening (I am sure to have looked out from it) then it only shows a view of the inner bailey (called 'The Close'). By the way, ornithologists will know of the Bass Rock. This is an island, complete with lighthouse, just to the north of the castle. From the top of the castle walls you got excellent views of the rock and the Firth of Forth.
Old 30 March 2009, 05:21 PM

Great pictures Andrew, even if there is no ghost. Though your photos do help support the "reflection off stone" theory. Lots of worn stones, lots of visitors, a camera flash in the right and there you have it, instant ghost.