snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > We've Got Mail

Old 14 October 2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceLin View Post
If California has become so Mexican in the last 40 years what will it look like in the next 50 years. Will our kids fear the police too?
I'm pretty sure you don't have to wait 50 years to find kids that fear the police (and with good reason in some cases) in California and the US.
Old 15 October 2014, 07:03 PM

As a Canadian, living in Canada, I don't see much problem with flying your home country's flag in another country. In fact, I was following a big semi with a huge US Flag painted on the back of the cab just the other day. (took up most of the cab) it shows pride in your homeland and pride in where you come from. On any given day, I'll see Scottish flags, English Flags, UK Flags, as well as German, Russian, French, Italian, Philippines, Japan, India, Pakistan, Mexico, USA, you name it. Often they're small little flags on the bumper of their car, but sometimes it's hanging on their window etc. not a big deal up here. I think the root of this concern is the different views of multiculturalism. in Jr. High, we had discussions about multiculturalism and how itt really falls into two camps, The "Melting pot" (the form the US follows) and the "Mosaic" (which Canada follows). the melting pot is where everyone is expected to bring their own cultural influences and blend it into the existing cultural environment (see Tex-mex, asian fusion food etc). While in Canada we generally welcome differences, (this attitude is changing to my dismay unfortunately mostly due to influence from the right-wing in the US... and people saying "immigrant go home") But historically, Canada while we have our own distinctness, we also have huge cultural communities. Some of the more well known in my area are the Ukrainian, Russian, German, Mennonite, Italian, Chinese, etc. and these are usually celebrated. Coming from a Ukrainian background having Ukrainian days, and celebrations is not uncommon. having Schumka dancers performing while the Babas make traditional Ukrainian meals. This is not uncommon nor unwelcome.

From what I see, the US is turning from a melting pot into more of a "stew"... where there's the main melting pot, but there are chunks forming of different cultures. and this is upsetting the people who wanted the melting pot, and are more afraid of change.
Old 15 October 2014, 07:19 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Although I guess foods are not bound by our human rules and can speak their crazy food languages all they want.
My brother once had some Mexican food and it was talking to him all night.
Old 15 October 2014, 07:23 PM

I don't think the melting pot description is commonly used anymore.
Old 15 October 2014, 08:00 PM

Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
As a Canadian, living in Canada, I don't see much problem with flying your home country's flag in another country. In fact, I was following a big semi with a huge US Flag painted on the back of the cab just the other day. (took up most of the cab) it shows pride in your homeland and pride in where you come from.
I can see being proud of where you come from when you are in somplace like Canada, () but when you are in Amerikuh, you should only be proud of being in Amerikuh.*

Quote:
From what I see, the US is turning from a melting pot into more of a "stew"... where there's the main melting pot, but there are chunks forming of different cultures. and this is upsetting the people who wanted the melting pot, and are more afraid of change.
Despite our PR, I don't think the US has ever been a melting pot. Heck, the Pilgrims, the group which we tend to iconify as our national identity, came here to avoid multiculturalism. I think what is happening is that greater travel and communications mean that the formerly isolated pockets of different cultures are more easily seen.

*Exaggeration for emphasis, but I think this is where the issue comes from, pride in another place is seen as spitting in the face of the US.
Old 15 October 2014, 10:31 PM

United States

Quote:
As a Canadian, living in Canada, I don't see much problem with flying your home country's flag in another country.
I would put out a Japanese flag on national holidays except that a certain someone thinks it would be interpreted as a somewhat too political gesture. The same person has no problem at all with putting my home country's flag out. In fact, the nicest one I have was a gift from her.
Old 16 October 2014, 05:07 PM

Icon97

Quote:
No welfare for any family that's larger than two kids.
No parents, just two kids.
Old 16 October 2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I went into Sears and every time I go they have mexican radio playing.
I'm on a Mexican
radio
I'm on a Mexican
woh-oh
radio
Old 16 October 2014, 05:27 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Exaggeration for emphasis, but I think this is where the issue comes from, pride in another place is seen as spitting in the face of the US.
Exactly. There is no better country in the entire world than the U.S., so how dare you express an affinity for any other country while you're here!
Old 16 October 2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm on a Mexican
radio
I'm on a Mexican
woh-oh
radio
Gah! Earworm! Get out! Get out of my he---AAAAAAAARRRRRGH!

~Psihala
Old 16 October 2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Sears is an old school American company and I realized we are doomed because their the dominate race now.
Well, I realize that "corporations are people" now, but I'm not sure I'd call them a race, as such.

But at risk of feeding the troll, here's a thought - it's that "old school American company" that's doing the hiring you're complaining about.

Quote:
From what I see, the US is turning from a melting pot into more of a "stew"... where there's the main melting pot, but there are chunks forming of different cultures.
I'm thinking "frozen dinner," with each little bit isolated in individual compartments, kept well away from all the other, different, bits.
Old 16 October 2014, 06:49 PM

We're only doomed by other "races" being "predominate" if the membersof those races are as hateful and bigoted as BryceLin.

What was that old saying about measuring other people by one's own half-bushel?
Old 16 October 2014, 07:00 PM

Forgive me if I've said this before; but one time I was conducting a pubic meeting (in my role as an urban planner) when one individual got up and complained bitterly about how all the newcomers were destroying the diversity of his neighborhood.

BW
Old 16 October 2014, 07:18 PM

Was gentrifying occurring in the neighborhood in question? If so, I've seen it destroy the diversity of the community, as well as driving out long-time residents.
Old 16 October 2014, 08:09 PM

Gentrification was not anywhere on the horizon for the area.

The neighborhood in question was traditionally the second place immigrants to Hawaii would move. The first neighborhood was fairly close to the harbor, after members of the families found work and could afford better, they would move to the neighborhood in question; it had been (and continues to be) a "transitional" neighborhood since the early 1900's.

BW
Old 16 October 2014, 08:13 PM

Gotcha! Thanks for the response.
Old 16 October 2014, 08:16 PM

Glad to add to the confusion

BW
Old 16 October 2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Warrior View Post
one time I was conducting a pubic meeting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Warrior View Post
Glad to add to the confusion
[bolding mine]

I think you may have added to it slightly more than you intended.

thorny -- anybody wanna hire me as a proofreader? -- locust
Old 16 October 2014, 10:55 PM

thorny:

Nice catch!

BW
Old 16 October 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
If you're going to complain about how people can't speak correct English, you should probably double check to make sure that your rant is grammatically correct.
Yes, that's so common. If you are going to whine about uneducated people, at least get your rant correct.

Quote:
I would put out a Japanese flag on national holidays except that a certain someone thinks it would be interpreted as a somewhat too political gesture.
I worked for many year in Ireland, for a Japanese company. Coincidently, the sporting colours for the county were red and white, the same as the Japanese flag. Before one major sporting event someone had got hold of a few old Rising Sun Japanese flags, ie, not the red dot on white, but the red dot with the stripes radiating from it as seen on world war II planes and ships. I often wondered what the Japanese management thought when they saw them flying over houses.