snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 10 October 2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post
Last week's #7 answer:

What unusual distinction is shared by these Shakespeare plays, and no others? The Comedy of Errors, The Merchant of Venice, Othello, Pericles, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, The Winter's Tale.

They all involved shipwrecks.
Thanks so much!!!
Old 10 October 2017, 04:21 PM

1. What kind of animal is PaRappa the Rapper? Dog

2. What 11th-century publication was so named because its contents were held to be as legally unimpeachable as the findings of the Last Judgment? Ooh! The Domesday Book!

3. What 2017 TV hit's characters include Ofglen, Ofwarren, and Ofsamuel? Haven't seen the show, but it must be The Handmaid's Tale

4. The Cavendish cultivar, now endangered by the fungal "Panama disease," currently makes up 99% of what product sold commercially? Bananas

6. What rock band recorded the appropriately named 1980s hits "Cruiser" and "Drive"? The Cars

ETA:Had an idea for #7 - is it possible that they all feature some sort of fortune teller? Thinking that Angel Heart has voodoo in it, The Wolf Man (at least the classic with Lon Chaney, Jr.) features a gypsy fortune teller, Caddyshack has Bill Murray's bit with the Dalai Lama... Stab in the dark here.

Last edited by musicgeek; 10 October 2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12 October 2017, 11:10 PM

1. What kind of animal is PaRappa the Rapper? A dog

3. What 2017 TV hit's characters include Ofglen, Ofwarren, and Ofsamuel? A Handmaid's Tale

5. After his excavations at Hissarlik, Heinrich Schliemann published an 1875 book about what city "and Its Remains"? Troy

6. What rock band recorded the appropriately named 1980s hits "Cruiser" and "Drive"? The Cars
Old 13 October 2017, 09:06 AM

As there are no US Sports question this week I think I have 6 out of 6.
1. Dog, from a PS1 game
2. Domesday Book
3. The Handmaid's Tale
4. Banana
5. Troy
6. The Cars
Old 17 October 2017, 10:43 AM

Hello, all.

Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What kind of animal is PaRappa the Rapper?
The video game rap superstar is a dog. It's not clear what breed.

2. What 11th-century publication was so named because its contents were held to be as legally unimpeachable as the findings of the Last Judgment?
That sense of finality is what makes the Domesday Book, a dull collection of tax survey records, the Domesday Book.

3. What 2017 TV hit's characters include Ofglen, Ofwarren, and Ofsamuel?
Women use their husband's first name to form their own in the dystopian world of The Handmaid's Tale, and possibly in our own universe soon if current trends continue.

4. The Cavendish cultivar, now endangered by the fungal "Panama disease," currently makes up 99% of what product sold commercially?
The banana industry is in trouble if they can't adjust to a post-Cavendish world.

5. After his excavations at Hissarlik, Heinrich Schliemann published an 1875 book about what city "and Its Remains"?
Schliemann is best known for determining what's now believed to be the actual ancient site of Homer's Troy.

6. What rock band recorded the appropriately named 1980s hits "Cruiser" and "Drive"?
These are the most automotive-themed hits recorded by The Cars.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these cities? Anchorage, Asuncion, Athens (Georgia), Berlin, Chicago, Cochabamba, Kingston (Ontario), Knoxille, Kolkata, Lima, Lyon, Oklahoma City, Porto, Sydney, Topeka.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Harold Ross, William Shawn, Robert Gottlieb, Tina Brown, and David Remnick are the only five people ever to hold what position?

2. Which bone in the human body is also a synonym for "scree," rocky debris that forms a slope at the base of a cliff?

3. In what city would you find Antoine's, founded in 1840, the oldest family-run restaurant in America?

4. Bob Meusel never made the Hall of Fame, but name any two other members of "Murderer's Row" who did.

5. What country was run by Prime Minister Salazar's Estado Novo between 1933 and 1974?

6. What is capped or prohibited by usury laws?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Angel Heart, Before Sunrise, The Bishop's Wife, Caddyshack, Eat Pray Love, Fury, Happy-Go-Lucky, Jacob's Ladder, Sherlock Holmes, The Wolf Man.
Each has a scene where someone's palm is read. I love me a good palmistry movie. "But how is the palmistry?" I will often ask, when a friend recommends a movie.

Enjoy!
Old 17 October 2017, 10:49 AM

5. What country was run by Prime Minister Salazar's Estado Novo between 1933 and 1974?

Portugal
Old 17 October 2017, 11:11 AM

1. Harold Ross, William Shawn, Robert Gottlieb, Tina Brown, and David Remnick are the only five people ever to hold what position?

editor of the New Yorker?

Portugal

interest rates
Old 17 October 2017, 02:07 PM

2. Which bone in the human body is also a synonym for "scree," rocky debris that forms a slope at the base of a cliff? Heel?

3. In what city would you find Antoine's, founded in 1840, the oldest family-run restaurant in America? Nawlins?
Old 17 October 2017, 02:54 PM

5) Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig
Old 17 October 2017, 03:00 PM

1. Don't know.

2. Talus.

3. New Orleans.

4. Ruth and Gehrig.

5. Don't know.

6. Loan interest rates.
Old 17 October 2017, 03:54 PM

Re: his answer to last week's question 3, a handmaid is not a wife, and the man she is "of" is not her husband. He's her owner.

I was going to call this post nitpicking but then I realized it's not a "nit."
Old 17 October 2017, 04:17 PM

To nitpick your non-nitpick, he doesn't own her, the state owns her. She is assigned to a man to see if she is fertile with him but can be reassigned if she is not fertile with him*.

* Men are legally never infertile, it is always the woman who is infertile.
Old 17 October 2017, 05:01 PM

Baseball 0 for 7 this week.

1. CEO of CNN?

2. Swag, the tarsal

3. Antoine's is French, I'm guessing New Orleans

4. Bob was a Yankee, so I'll guess Gehrig and Mantle

5. Guessing Brazil

6. Profiteering

7. All were once capital cities, but have since seen the capital moved elsewhere (I know it works for one)
Old 17 October 2017, 05:12 PM

Deer

Quote:

2. Which bone in the human body is also a synonym for "scree," rocky debris that forms a slope at the base of a cliff?

3. In what city would you find Antoine's, founded in 1840, the oldest family-run restaurant in America?

4. Bob Meusel never made the Hall of Fame, but name any two other members of "Murderer's Row" who did.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these cities? Anchorage, Asuncion, Athens (Georgia), Berlin, Chicago, Cochabamba, Kingston (Ontario), Knoxille, Kolkata, Lima, Lyon, Oklahoma City, Porto, Sydney, Topeka.
1. Editor of The New Yorker
2. IDK
3. New Orleans
4. Ruth and Gehrig
5. Spain?
6. Interest on loans.
7. No idea
Old 18 October 2017, 03:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Director of HEW.
Quote:

So the first one that came to mind was scapula, but I know that's not right, so I'm going with talus.
Quote:

New Orleans.
Quote:

I can't name two members of Murderer's Row, because I don't know who all was on it. But I will say Williams and Ruth, because at least I know they played baseball.
Quote:

I was going to say Chile (just because), but I'm changing that to Portugal, also just because.
Quote:

interest rates on loans.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Angel Heart, Before Sunrise, The Bishop's Wife, Caddyshack, Eat Pray Love, Fury, Happy-Go-Lucky, Jacob's Ladder, Sherlock Holmes, The Wolf Man.
Each has a scene where someone's palm is read. I love me a good palmistry movie. "But how is the palmistry?" I will often ask, when a friend recommends a movie.
This isn't a question; it's an answer.

Seaboe