snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 11 October 2017, 11:01 PM

Flame California Wildfires Have Now Killed At Least 21 People; More High Winds Forecast

The deadly wildfires devastating Northern California continued to spread across dry hills and vineyards Wednesday, prompting more evacuations from a menacing arc of flames that has killed at least 21 people, destroyed more than 3,500 buildings and battered the regionís renowned wine-growing industry.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...recast-tonight
Old 11 October 2017, 11:04 PM

As it happens, a number of my friends from high school are living in various areas affected by the fires. Their reports on Facebook are pretty harrowing. Several of them have had to evacuate (others did so voluntarily); all of them are without power. One friend's house is intact, but the house next door burned to the ground, so that was a narrow escape. Some have friends and co-workers who are out of contact, and there are significant fears of the worst.

Yet another time I am glad to be in San Diego -- but of course we are not immune; our turn could be coming. Preparedness is a good thing.
Old 11 October 2017, 11:14 PM

I am roughly 70 to 80 miles from where the fires are. It still smells like smoke here and the sky was grey and hazy this morning. It looked overcast, but the grey was from smoke, not clouds.
Old 12 October 2017, 12:38 AM

My sympathies. Had that going on all of August and much of September here.
Old 12 October 2017, 06:05 AM

I'm reading about the California wildfires on the news here, and I hope that all Californian snopsters (and snopes himself, of course) are out of harms way!
Old 12 October 2017, 07:41 PM

Cheer 'Neither Snow Nor Rain Nor Heat ...': Watch Mail Carrier Deliver To Burned-Out Homes

The U.S. Postal Service hasn't abandoned Santa Rosa, Calif., where hundreds of people are coping with total losses of their homes from an explosive wildfire. The scene in Santa Rosa has been compared with an apocalypse ó but that didn't stop a mail truck from making the rounds in at least one devastated neighborhood this week.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...rned-out-homes
Old 12 October 2017, 07:49 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
It still smells like smoke here and the sky was grey and hazy this morning.
Having gone through this earlier this year, you have my sympathy. Is ash falling yet?

Seaboe
Old 12 October 2017, 07:58 PM

It actually seems a bit better today, although on the radio they were still warning of very poor air quality during the weather report, as opposed to mentioning things like the forecast high temperature.
Old 12 October 2017, 10:52 PM

Too late to edit my last post, but writing that post made me put two and two together and realize the poor air quality is likely the cause of the mild sore throat and congestion I'm experiencing today.