snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 05 October 2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
An historian has claimed to have discovered the real identity of Jack the Ripper, and believes the notorious Whitechapel murderer was also responsible for killing two more women.
Alice Mackenzie and Martha Tabram are old news, but that is a new suspect. I need to see more than a "psychological profile" before I'll believe it; wow, though, is that more believable than a painter who used the same stationery as someone who wrote a fake letter to the newspaper and signed it "Jack the Ripper," or the son of the Prince of Wales, or the Queen's physician, acting on behalf of the masons, or a guy who fried his brains getting stoned on arsenic, or another guy, who was in prison in Illinois at the time. Or a time-travelling vampire. Or the guy out for revenge because his son died of syphilis....
Old 06 October 2009, 10:12 PM

Alright, fine. You got me. I'M Jack the Ripper. And I'm glad, see? GLAD!!! Bwaha hahahaha!!!!!

~Darts into a dark corner. Possibly somewhere in Australia.~
Old 06 October 2009, 10:32 PM

There was a good documentary recently (part of Channel 5's Revealed series) convincingly identifying not Jack but the author of the famous 'Dear Boss' letter. He was a reporter who had written the letter under direct instruction of his editor (who even dictated part of it), purely so it could then be reported upon to increase sales.

One of the reasons that the Ripper murders were so notorious was that they occurred fairly close to Fleet Street (where most english newspapers were then based), and so were easy to report.
Old 07 October 2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
There was a good documentary recently (part of Channel 5's Revealed series) convincingly identifying not Jack but the author of the famous 'Dear Boss' letter. He was a reporter who had written the letter under direct instruction of his editor (who even dictated part of it), purely so it could then be reported upon to increase sales.

One of the reasons that the Ripper murders were so notorious was that they occurred fairly close to Fleet Street (where most english newspapers were then based), and so were easy to report.
I saw that. I thought it was pretty convincing too. Probably, one of the reasons the "Jack the Ripper" story has had so much staying power is the name, but it does sound more like something out of a penny dreadful than a genuine serial killer. AFAIK, very few serial killers have given themselves catchy names, and then when they have, they have clearly been in it for attention, like the Zodiac, who left messages at the scene, and called the police himself, or BTK, whose name wasn't even all that creative.

Then there's the fact that the letters seemed to be speaking to the police, but were addressed to the central news agency.

I have read more Jack the Ripper books than is probably healthy, but most were library books, so I can't remember the name of the one that reproduced a lot of the clearly fake letters the police received, including the one written by the woman who was prosecuted for interfering with an investigation. Most authors discuss only the three or so letters that have a chance of being authentic, and leave people with the impression that very few were received by the police or the press, when there were quite a lot. I really enjoyed a comment by someone reviewing Patricia Cornwell's book Case Closed, where she identifies Walter Sickert as Jack the Ripper; the comment was that, at most, Cornwell proved that Sickert was one of the people who sent a fake JTR letter to the police.

ETA: I think that was on the History Channel in the US. Either that, or someone cribbed it.
Old 29 December 2009, 03:13 AM
cobra4j

I'm no ripperologist either- but, from what I have read, historians, and the police at the time, have come up with some good suspects. How good this "King of Pimps" is I have no idea.

The #1 problem is - since we have no known fingerprints, DNA or other means of conclusive identification these good suspects may eternally remain good suspects.

UNless the real ripper kept a diary that will somehow, someday, appear, we will probably never have absolute proof.
Old 29 December 2009, 03:37 AM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra4j View Post
UNless the real ripper kept a diary that will somehow, someday, appear, we will probably never have absolute proof.
Welcome to the Boards!

I believe that even if a diary of sorts is found that many, if not most, will dismiss it anyways. Society likes its mysteries to be kept mysterious.

The only thing that would convince everyone is if the diary was found with the remains of the kidney that was mailed. That would be as close to absolute proof that would quell this.
Old 29 December 2009, 09:03 AM

I have a couple of questions which a British snopester might possibly know.

The first is this: was the kidney sent to George Lusk saved anywhere, and is it still around for potential DNA testing, or at least blood and tissue typing?

The second is this: it is known where Catherine Eddowes is buried, and could she be exhumed for possible DNA of blood and tissue typing, and if this is not possible, either because she was buried in an unmarked grave, or because she has decomposed too much, does she have living descendents, or decendents of female relatives through all-female lines, who might provide mitochondrial, or other samples that could type the Lusk kidney?

If the kidney is around, but no Eddowes, or Eddowes relatives are, has anyone at least determined that it is human and female?

I have seen several people claim that their favorite ripper candidate must be the one because they have good evidence he wrote the Lusk kidney letter. All that is pointless, though, without real proof that the kidney came from Eddowes.
Old 29 December 2009, 09:24 AM

Catherine Eddowes is buried in the City of London Cemetery at Manor Park. Mary Ann Nicholls is buried a few yards away.

Page with photographs and more information on Catherine Eddowes' grave (and the graves of other victims).

How easy it would be to get permission to exhume the body I do not know.
Old 29 December 2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
Alright, fine. You got me. I'M Jack the Ripper. And I'm glad, see? GLAD!!! Bwaha hahahaha!!!!!

~Darts into a dark corner. Possibly somewhere in Australia.~
You beat me to the confession. I was going to claim it was me- that I was driven to brutal murder because there was nothing on T.V. back then and I was really bored.
Old 21 September 2011, 05:44 PM

Icon402 The cold, cold case of Jack the Ripper

A retired homicide detective is trying to force Scotland Yard to release uncensored versions of files that might offer fresh leads on the identity of Britain's most notorious serial killer.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,6370758.story
Old 21 September 2011, 06:43 PM

Jaded

Blah, blah.

He's probably referring to the Jewish suspect that a Jewish witness identified, but said he would not testify against in court, so he would not be responsible for his execution, and since the suspect was already incarcerated in a mental institution, the police closed the matter.

The problem is that it's a second-hand story, and the suspect is referred to at one point as "David Cohen," but no one knows whether that's his real name or not. It could be, because there certainly are plenty of Jews named David Cohen, but no one could find one incarcerated as a mental patient in 1888 or 1889, and there's another story, which might or might not be a UL, that "David Cohen" was the Jewish "John Doe" name used by the police-- that is, the standard pseudonym used for Jews.

A lot of people think that first of all, the story is true, and that why the case was effectively closed fairly soon after the supposed incident (not that the incedent is a story placed in time to coincide with the end of the investigation ), which isn't really the end of the investigation, just the extra patrol in Whitechapel. Then they further think that the real name of the suspect is still buried somewhere in an unexpurgated file somewhere at Scotland yard.

Personally, I'm skeptical.

It's sort of like those people who insist the someone in Washington knows the name of the woman in the headscarf with the camera, who had a good view of the grassy knoll, and they just aren't telling, even after all this time.
Old 21 September 2011, 07:11 PM

No, I am Jack the Ripper! Oh, no, wait, I'm Spartacus.

Sorry. I knew I was someone.
Old 21 September 2011, 07:17 PM

I am Soylent Green!

After all, 1) Soylent Green is people
2) I am "people"
3) Therefore....

Seriously, some Ripper researcher, who has published several books, once said that in the afterlife, when people are gathered for judgment, he'll say "OK, who was it, who was Jack the Ripper?" and someone will step forward and say "I was," and it'll be some totally insignificant person no one ever heard of, or guessed before.
Old 21 September 2011, 07:19 PM

Soylent Green is not people, in the book. It's just soy and lentils.
Old 21 September 2011, 07:41 PM

Then what does Charlton Heston shout?
Old 21 September 2011, 07:46 PM

"Soylent Green is soy and lentils!"

Very anticlimactic, really.
Old 21 September 2011, 07:50 PM

Oh, BTW:

Just like grandma used to taste....
Old 22 September 2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
"Soylent Green is soy and lentils!"

Very anticlimactic, really.
They're changing its name to "I Can't Believe It's Not People".
Old 22 September 2011, 09:34 AM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
No, I am Jack the Ripper! Oh, no, wait, I'm Spartacus.

Sorry. I knew I was someone.
Napoleon?
Old 22 September 2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
They're changing its name to "I Can't Believe It's Not People".
I look forward to the commercial. I love commercials where you get back-talk from your food, and this one should be especially appetizing.