snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 05 April 2016, 11:39 AM

Dog China’s dog meat festival appalls animal-lovers

Animal rights activists are seeking to shut down an annual summer dog meat festival in southern China blamed for harming the country’s international reputation as well as fueling extreme cruelty to canines and unhygienic food handling practices. Activists from a coalition of groups said Monday that they will continue press for the festival to be banned as well as legislation outlawing the slaughtering of dogs and cats and the consumption of their meat. While an estimated 10 million-20 million dogs are killed for their meat each year in China, the June 20 event in the city of Yulin has come to symbolize the cruelty and lack of hygiene associated with the largely unregulated industry.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/natio...e69840817.html
Old 05 April 2016, 12:50 PM

I'm always scratching my head over dog meat. I love my 2 dogs, and it would never occur to me to eat dog meat.

At the same time, I certainly like a good t-bone, but I completely understand why some cultures do not eat beef and also frown upon it.

OY
Old 05 April 2016, 01:27 PM

In the USA, we have not for quite some time allowed human consumption of horse meat. It makes little sense, really, as they are large herbivores, as are cows, sheep and goats (I don't include pigs, turkeys and chickens, as they are much more omnivorous). The only logical reason for not eating horse is that generally they would not be available until they have had a long working life, by which point they are likely to be fairly tough. But we have an emotional attitude about horses that not only tells us not to eat them, but motivates us to keep others from eating them. Most pet and working dogs have had injections and otherwise been exposed to things that may make them unsuitable for human consumption, but I see no good reason that dogs raised with a mind to eventual consumption should not be acceptable fodder.
Old 05 April 2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
The only logical reason for not eating horse is that generally they would not be available until they have had a long working life, by which point they are likely to be fairly tough.
Also this:
Quote:
Most pet and working dogs have had injections and otherwise been exposed to things that may make them unsuitable for human consumption,
Old 05 April 2016, 03:23 PM

China

As long as the animal is raised and slaughtered in a humane way, I have no problem with it. Given my carnivorous ways, it would be the pot calling the kettle black. I would never knowingly eat dog or cat meat though. It is a cultural thing, and quite frankly it's up to the Chinese people to decide to whether or not this practice continues.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 05 April 2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Left out some words.
Old 05 April 2016, 03:48 PM

I'd rather see Chinese people eat dogs and cats than endangered tigers, pangolins, and sea horses.
Old 06 April 2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I'd rather see Chinese people eat dogs and cats than endangered tigers, pangolins, and sea horses.
That is a very good point. As a dog loever I don't like the idea, but as a meat eater I can't really object.
Old 06 April 2016, 04:39 AM

Many good points. I,however, don't think I'd be happy if someone stole my dog(s) so that they could club them to death in front of other dogs so their meat tasted better. I object to the animals being crammed into tiny crates to be un-hygienically and cruelly killed for a "traditional" festival that is a decade or less old.

In addition, all the organizations mentioned are Chinese organizations.
Yes, I know there is a bit of a double standard regarding which sorts of animals are eaten, but I think there may be some good reasons not to eat particular species. It is mentioned in the article that the incidence of diseases you can get from carnivores, rabies carriers, and/or meat with mysterious origins is very high in the province this festival takes place.

My issues with horse meat in this country is that when I had horses we had to be very careful if we had to sell a beloved companion. You just never knew if the friendly guy who wants to buy his kid a pony was really a horse meat dealer. At that time (don't know how it is now) a nice, trained, friendly grade horse would pull more per pound at the meat auction than you could get for a grade pleasure horse. Not cool.
Old 07 April 2016, 04:20 AM

That would be why most of us side on the 'humanly killed' side. Humans have and will always eat whatever they can get their hands on for food, and I can't judge someone for eating dog anymore than I can judge them for eating cow. I probably wouldn't be able to eat it, but if that's they're thing, go for it.

Quote:
for a "traditional" festival that is a decade or less old.
The tradition if for the dog meat itself, not the festival. The history of Chinese eating dog meat predates written history, so yeah, I think that's a bit of a tradition going on there.
Old 07 April 2016, 10:51 PM

Also good points. However, the festival is described as "traditional" and some/many? Chinese organizations deny this description.

I agree that eating dog meat is traditional, but tradition doesn't make something automatically a good idea. For instance the high rate of diseases passed from dog (or other questionable sources) to the people ingesting them. I don't judge people for their food choices whether I would eat it or not, but I'm not going to blindly accept that certain choices are unassailable because of tradition. Some very ugly things have been continued in the name of tradition. It never hurts to examine when it may be time to let traditions go. Many in China seem to be rethinking this tradition.
Old 07 April 2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Also good points. However, the festival is described as "traditional" and some/many? Chinese organizations deny this description.

I agree that eating dog meat is traditional, but tradition doesn't make something automatically a good idea. For instance the high rate of diseases passed from dog (or other questionable sources) to the people ingesting them.
That's not necessarily because there's something intrinsically unhealthy about eating dogs, though. Cows, pigs, and chickens can all easily transmit diseases to humans who eat them if they're not taken care of properly or there's a failure to practice appropriate sanitation when preparing the meat.
Old 08 April 2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That's not necessarily because there's something intrinsically unhealthy about eating dogs, though. Cows, pigs, and chickens can all easily transmit diseases to humans who eat them if they're not taken care of properly or there's a failure to practice appropriate sanitation when preparing the meat.
Are those animals typical rabies vectors?
Old 08 April 2016, 09:03 PM

IIRC, all warm-blooded animals can get rabies, but of course, livestock are usually given vaccines, etc. - or are slaughtered before it matters.