snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 03 February 2007, 03:08 AM
medtchva

Default Jeffery Dahmer may be linked to Adam Walsh disappearance

"Did Jeffrey Dahmer confess to all his crimes? There's a call to reopen the investigation into Milwaukee's most notorious killer.

There are new questions about Dahmer's criminal history before he returned to Milwaukee and never-reported details that some believe link Dahmer to one of the United States' most notorious cold cases."

Dahmer was living in Miami at the time Adam Walsh disappeared and witnesses put him at the same mall the day of the disappearance.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/n...29/detail.html

Last edited by medtchva; 03 February 2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03 February 2007, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Colleen Henry has a special 12 News investigation.
Amazing that they uncovered this just in time for sweeps!
Old 03 February 2007, 06:05 AM

I thought Ottis Toole killed Adam Walsh
Old 03 February 2007, 11:32 AM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgiver View Post
I thought Ottis Toole killed Adam Walsh
Me too! Weird.
Old 03 February 2007, 04:13 PM

No From Crime Library

The Adam Walsh Case
Quote:
A ferocious serial killer named Ottis Toole became a suspect in 1983 and confessed to the killing on two separate occasions. He later recanted both confessions. Toole died in prison without ever being charged in the crime.

Last edited by Joostik; 03 February 2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: To remove inapropriate icon
Old 04 February 2007, 10:39 AM

Icon102

I even read John Walsh's book. You'd think I would remember something important like that.
Old 04 February 2007, 11:52 PM

Icon402

People confess to murders they didn't commit. Heck, Henry Lee Lucas was on *death row* for the murder of this woman despite the fact he was in jail in Florida when the person died. Also, this doesn't really fit the profile of his other murders - Dahmer killed young men, not boys. The youngest were in their early teens, so it seems odd.

Sister "curious this came up in time for sweeps..." Ray
Old 05 February 2007, 03:08 AM
medtchva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
People confess to murders they didn't commit. Heck, Henry Lee Lucas was on *death row* for the murder of this woman despite the fact he was in jail in Florida when the person died. Also, this doesn't really fit the profile of his other murders - Dahmer killed young men, not boys. The youngest were in their early teens, so it seems odd.

Sister "curious this came up in time for sweeps..." Ray
"By 1991, Adam's father, John Walsh, was the star of "America's Most Wanted." Walsh was so moved by the Dahmer link that he made a remarkable request. He asked Florida to waive the death penalty if Dahmer confessed to Adam's slaying. WISN obtained a copy of the Walsh letter, where he pointed to Dahmer's criminal record, which includes killing two 14-year-olds, sexually assaulting a 13-year-old and exposing himself to 12-year-olds. "

If John Walsh was suspicious enough of the link to ask for something like this, then there's creditable evidence. Also, if Dahmer was upset that day as the supposed witness says after he turned Dahmer down, who knows what he might have done.
Old 06 February 2007, 08:05 PM
CraftyGal

I really hope that the Walsh's can get justice and closure.

Crafty
Old 06 February 2007, 08:20 PM

Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyGal View Post
I really hope that the Walsh's can get justice and closure.

Crafty
Since both of the alleged killers are dead, I'm not sure how they can be charged.

Sister "and I'm pretty sure they have some sort of closure" Ray
Old 06 February 2007, 11:37 PM

I thought Dahmer was primarily into 'dark' meat?
Old 07 February 2007, 11:53 AM
MrQL

Dahmer had just been discharged from the military at the time and had only murdered one person that we know of up until that point in 1981 who was a 19 year old hitchhiker that he had sexual relations with. It just wouldn't fit his MO to kill a 6 year old boy who had wandered off from his father. While Dahmer did shown "intrest" in young adolescent boys as far as I know he never shown any in boys younger than that. For the most part, all of Dahmers victims started out as consensual sexual relations. That all changed once they were in his apartment of course but I just don't see Dahmer, with the nature of his killings, murdering a 6 year old.
Old 07 February 2007, 06:02 PM

So you (the plural you saying he couldn't have done it) think the circumstantial evidence is just a coincidence?
Old 07 February 2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQL View Post
It just wouldn't fit his MO to kill a 6 year old boy who had wandered off from his father.
Just clarifying... Adam was with his mom, not his dad when he disappeared. She left him by some video games with older kids nearby while she looked in another part of the store. (God, how many times did MY parents do that?!) Because parents "misplace" their kids all the time, the police didn't take Mrs. Walsh very seriously at first. Poor woman.
Old 07 February 2007, 07:16 PM
matches

Icon81 Wrong Guy I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebobo View Post
I thought Dahmer was primarily into 'dark' meat?
I think you're thinking of John Wayne Gacey, the fat clown who worked in the candy factory.

I think Dahmer ate people too, but I'm not certain, but I think most of his victims where white males.

Obvioulsy I am not as up on my serial killer lore as I should be.

Shame on me.
Old 07 February 2007, 07:24 PM
matches

Icon13 M.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQL View Post
Dahmer had just been discharged from the military at the time and had only murdered one person that we know of up until that point in 1981 who was a 19 year old hitchhiker that he had sexual relations with. It just wouldn't fit his MO to kill a 6 year old boy who had wandered off from his father. While Dahmer did shown "intrest" in young adolescent boys as far as I know he never shown any in boys younger than that. For the most part, all of Dahmers victims started out as consensual sexual relations. That all changed once they were in his apartment of course but I just don't see Dahmer, with the nature of his killings, murdering a 6 year old.
That's based on known crimes he's committed, as this is in reference to a crime he wasn't charged with it is possible that he has more than a few 6 year olds in his past that we don't know about.

You shouldn't read too much into the M.O. of serial killer, they can switch targets for various reasons, not the least of which is that the uniting factor we presume is not the factor that the killer is relying on.

It is not uncommon for a killer to have (especially in early crimes) a number of victims of opportunity, who do not fit their later established profile, but who were targeted because they could be gotten to. Often independent sex workers are at the receiving end of this kind of "learning curve" killing. As the killer becomes more adept at their trade they can focus more specificly on their desires. Likewise, for more established killers, for whom the original ideal has lost its luster compared to the simple power of killing, non typical victims might be chosen for any number of reasons.

One thing that has been recently realized is that the very static presumptive profile of serial killers that we have used for years is neither exact nor predictive, and may have lead numerous investigators in the wrong direction in the past.

What is most telling about the Walsh incident is that the boy was beheaded. That is a very notable, and difficult mark for a killer. If Dahmer had a tendency to dismember his victims, or specifically behead them that increases the possibility that he could have been the killer of the boy.
Old 07 February 2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matches View Post
I think you're thinking of John Wayne Gacey, the fat clown who worked in the candy factory.

I think Dahmer ate people too, but I'm not certain, but I think most of his victims where white males.

Obvioulsy I am not as up on my serial killer lore as I should be.

Shame on me.
I think you have it mixed up. Gacy's victims were white. Most of Dahmer's were black. IIRC his first victim was white and there was the most disturbing story that involved a Laotian boy.
Old 07 February 2007, 08:14 PM

Icon102

Quote:
I think you have it mixed up. Gacy's victims were white. Most of Dahmer's were black. IIRC his first victim was white and there was the most disturbing story that involved a Laotian boy.
I looked on a missing persons' site that lists some of his victims and there didn't seem to be a pattern, besides the fact they were all in their late teens to early 20's.

I also think John Walsh has found some of the closure he needs by helping other families with missing children.

Sister "something good came out of it" Ray
Old 07 February 2007, 09:02 PM

I thought I remembered John Walsh passing away last year, but I must be remembering something else...

AFA beheading goes, IIRC Dahmer did in fact dismember his victims, and I think there were one or more heads in his fridge when police searched the apartment.

Ugh. I remember when that news broke that they had caught Dahmer. I was really young (5th grade or so) and happened to read an article about it that went into quite a lot of the gruesome detail. I had nightmares for weeks.
Old 07 February 2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Most of Dahmer's were black. IIRC his first victim was white and there was the most disturbing story that involved a Laotian boy.
Was that the one who escaped from Dahmer's apartment, only the police actually sent him back inside? There's another thing the Walsh and Dahmer cases have in common - some incredible negligence on the part of the cops.