snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 21 March 2007, 03:38 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrose115 View Post
I love veggies in my main meals, and even as a snack.
I have a friend who can go through a 5lb bag of frozen peas in a day or two (she doesn't generally eat much at a time).

Seaboe
Old 27 March 2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
We need an annual Friends Day!
That's odd, because every other day I get a bloody email telling me it's National Friends Day. Along with National Girlfriends Day, National Email Buddies Day, and varients of them (National Fill-in-the-blank Week, Month, etc).
Old 31 October 2010, 08:34 PM

Guys, apologies for "bumping" an old thread, but I wonder - does anyone know who originally wrote this?

A friend of mine received it and both she and I have been Googling tonight but with no luck. I'm hoping someone here will have better Google-fu than me.

Thanks!
Old 31 October 2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabohly View Post
You know if she reached the age of 80, she has the right to eat whatever she damn well pleases.
Exactly, anna. At that age I think you are entitled to any vices you want that don't actually harm anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBoo View Post
People who act like you're being so naughty if you eat chocolate really annoy me. One dessert is not going to kill you
And if it did, she is 80. It isn't going to kill her young, and if she wants to take the risk she is definitely old enough to make that decision for herself.
Old 03 November 2010, 03:05 AM

I don't know about vitamin c overdose, but I've heard eating too many carrots can turn your skin orange. I also remember seeing something in the news about a little girl who turned orange after drinking a lot of Sunny D.
Old 04 November 2010, 09:55 PM

Rabbit

So what song does chocolate sing? Candyman? Pour Some Sugar on Me? Ice Cream Man? White Rabbit?
Old 05 November 2010, 08:25 PM

Chocolate Rain?
Old 05 November 2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
for example, whats the toxic level of vit. c in a guinea pig? .
There is almost no vitamin C in guinea pigs, but they are a good source of protein and amino acids.
Old 26 July 2011, 05:38 AM

Icon23 Chocolate (Ice Cream) Sings

I got the following version today from my current source of glurge. Other than the obvious gender changes it's pretty similar to the OP version.
Quote:
One day I had lunch with some friends. Jim, a short, balding golfer type about 80 years old, came along with them---all in all, a pleasant bunch.

When the menus were presented, we ordered salads, sandwiches, and soups, except for Jim who said, "Ice Cream, please. Two scoops, chocolate.

I wasn't sure my ears heard right, and the others were aghast. "Along with heated apple pie," Jim added, completely unabashed.

We tried to act quite nonchalant, as if people did this all the time.. But when our orders were brought out, I didn't enjoy mine..

I couldn't take my eyes off Jim as his pie a-la-mode went down. The other guys couldn't believe it. They ate their lunches silently and grinned.

The next time I went out to eat, I called and invited Jim. I lunched on white meat tuna. He ordered a parfait.
I smiled. He asked if he amused me
I answered, "Yes, you do, but also you confuse me.

How come you order rich desserts, while I feel I must be sensible? He laughed and said "I'm tasting all that is Possible.

I try to eat the food I need, and do the things I should. But life's so short, my friend, I hate missing out on something good.

This year I realized how old I was. (He grinned) I haven't been this old before."

"So, before I die, I've got to try those things that for years I had ignored.
I haven't smelled all the flowers yet. There are too many trout streams I haven't fished. There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and kites to be flown overhead.

There are too many golf courses I haven't played. I've not laughed at all the jokes. I've missed a lot of sporting events and potato chips and cokes..

I want to wade again in water and feel ocean spray on my face. I want to sit in a country church once more and thank God for His grace.

I want peanut butter every day spread on my morning toast.. I want un-timed long distance calls to the folks I love the most.

I haven't cried at all the movies yet, or walked in the morning rain. I need to feel wind on my face. I want to be in love again.

So, if I choose to have dessert, instead of having dinner, then should I die before night fall, I'd say I died a winner, because I missed out on nothing. I filled my heart's desire. I had that final chocolate mousse before my life expired.."

With that, I called the waitress over.. "I've changed my mind, " I said. "I want what he is having, only add some more whipped cream!"

This is my gift to you - We need an annual Friends Day! If you get this twice, then you have more than one friend. Live well, love much & laugh often - Be happy.

SHARE THIS WITH YOUR FRIENDS including me if I'm lucky enough to be counted among them.

Be mindful that happiness isn't based on possessions, power, or prestige, but on relationships with people we like and respect. Remember that while money talks, CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM SINGS
Brian
Old 26 July 2011, 03:03 PM

Now that they've changed the little old lady to just plain Jim...
I no longer find it quite so believable.

Who are you, and what have you done with Mae??

Old 27 July 2011, 02:07 AM

Icon05

Quote:
I want to wade again in water and feel ocean spray on my face.
Why does he want cranberry sauce on his face?
Old 27 July 2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Who are you, and what have you done with Mae??
A steady diet of chocolate ice cream did her in, may God rest her soul.

Meanwhile, chocolate ice cream on hot apple pie sounds dreadful. I can see dulce de leche if you don't like vanilla, or maybe cinnamon if you can get it, or even butter pecan, but chocolate? Bleh.
Old 15 November 2011, 03:23 PM
Graywriter

Sounds as though the opening and closing were originally in rhymed couplets too -- "lunch...bunch" for example; the closing line retains the iambic meter with seven feet per line so I'm guessing a word or two was changed that removed the rhyme. I'm trying to find the source.
Old 15 November 2011, 03:39 PM
Graywriter

I had also received this version and it struck me that the opening and closing should also be in rhyming couplets. I found another version that might be closer to the original with a more consistent rhyme scheme:

That day I had a date with friends, We met to have some lunch.
Mae had come along with them, All in all ... a pleasant bunch.

When the menus were presented, We ordered salads, sandwiches, and soups.
Except for Mae who circumvented, And said, Ice Cream, please: two scoops.

With that, I called the waitress over, I've changed my mind, it seems.
I said, "I want what she is having, Only add some more whipped-cream!"

Haven't found an author yet, still looking.
Old 03 December 2011, 02:34 AM

Okay, I've figured. If eating chocolate is rebellious and high spirited this might explain a lot of history.Maybe Lenin was rebellious because he ate a chocalate pie for lunch, cause you know eating unusual food makes you a mighty rebel. After all there's nothing more daring than eating what the health freaks don't want you to eat.And he caught the Tsar by surprise because the Tsar ate some tuna and didn't have his blood sugar up. It's easy to execute someone who has been too proper in his health and had a blood sugar drop to recall where his gun is.

Being daring enough to eat chocolate for breakfask obviously led to the Russian Revolution. Man, you just can't have subversives like that. I'd execute both Lenin and the writer of this crap.
Old 03 December 2011, 03:53 AM

Royalty

Avon shows how rebellion and ice-creme work..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9j...lms#rel-page-1

at 4 mins...