snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 20 November 2011, 09:57 AM

Icon105 Forever Friendship

I searched the main site, this board, and the old one but didn't find this one I received yesterday. I have preserved the formatting but deleted the animated rose GIFs.
Quote:
Sometimes in life, you find a special friend;
Someone who changes your life
just by being part of it.
Someone who makes you laugh
until you can't stop;
Someone who makes you believe
that there really is good in the world.
Someone who convinces you
that there really is an unlocked door
just waiting for you to open it.

This is Forever Friendship.
This is the sacred RED ROSE.

You MUST pass this rose on to at least 5 people including me, within the hour of receiving this rose. I'm sure you have more than 5 friends!!!

Just be nice & pass it on......May we all be loved so much
Brian
Old 20 November 2011, 02:29 PM

............. And then after you pass this on to 5 people, you will be 5 less friends.

What a glurge story without Jesus in it? The glurge writers must be losing their touch.
Old 20 November 2011, 02:54 PM

I get things like this from one of my friends all the time. I just ignore them. I stay in touch with her but I don't send things like this back. Some people are into it, others are not. I don't expect my friends to like/dislike exactly what I do. That's the joy of individuality. I don't see any reason to complain when I get them. I just delete them and forget about it.
Old 20 November 2011, 03:37 PM

What bothers me is that the people who send me things like this never, ever, ever email me to tell me about their lives, or ask about mine. There's no personal communication at all, they just spew glurge and prayers at me. That's not friendship, IMO.

If g-you truly care about me, take a couple minutes to write, "Hi, things are good here, [insert recent event], how are things going for you?"
Old 21 November 2011, 10:58 AM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Redhead View Post
I don't see any reason to complain when I get them. I just delete them and forget about it.
For me, the reason to post new glurge is not so much to make fun of them or to complain about them but instead to identify new and modified ones. I feel it's akin to being an entomologist discovering some new beetle species. I'm fascinated by what makes some glurges successful (i.e., likely to be forwarded) and others unsuccessful. Also, I'm fascinated how the successful ones tend to "evolve" and adapt so they keep getting forwarded. I have this same fascination with other forwarded emails like scareware and virus hoaxes.
Brian
Old 21 November 2011, 11:50 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Also, I'm fascinated how the successful ones tend to "evolve" and adapt so they keep getting forwarded. I have this same fascination with other forwarded emails like scareware and virus hoaxes.
That is very cool. I've never looked at glurge that way. It is almost a forensic glurge analysis. You may have just given me a new hobby!

Old 21 November 2011, 01:45 PM

Devil

I like looking at glurge and demolishing it

For example: I thought red roses were for lovers and yellow was for friendship?

And why does it have to be passed on within an hour of receipt?

I'm sure you must have more than 5 friends? Thanks for making me feel bad!

Old 21 November 2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Redhead View Post
Some people are into it, others are not. I don't expect my friends to like/dislike exactly what I do. That's the joy of individuality. I don't see any reason to complain when I get them. I just delete them and forget about it.
Another joy of individuality is that some people enjoy posting, analyzing, dissecting, and even complaining about/ridiculing glurge, while others take the attitude you do.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:30 PM

That's wrong. Everyone's individuality must be the same as mine.
Old 22 November 2011, 12:22 AM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
For me, the reason to post new glurge is not so much to make fun of them or to complain about them but instead to identify new and modified ones. I feel it's akin to being an entomologist discovering some new beetle species. I'm fascinated by what makes some glurges successful (i.e., likely to be forwarded) and others unsuccessful. Also, I'm fascinated how the successful ones tend to "evolve" and adapt so they keep getting forwarded. I have this same fascination with other forwarded emails like scareware and virus hoaxes.
Brian
So you're a glurgeologist?
Old 22 November 2011, 04:09 PM
BenPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
What a glurge story without Jesus in it? The glurge writers must be losing their touch.
Just imagine an extra last line which says "And this friend can be Jesus Christ. As long as you accept him in to your heart"
Old 23 November 2011, 09:10 AM

I had the impression of having read somewhere the "sacred red rose" was a Christian symbol of some sort, so I did a little Googling, starting with Wiki:

Quote:
Early Christians identified the five petals of the rose with the five wounds of Christ. Despite this interpretation, their leaders were hesitant to adopt it because of its association with Roman excesses and pagan ritual. The red rose was eventually adopted as a symbol of the blood of the Christian martyrs. Roses also later came to be associated with the Virgin Mary.
So here you go - as it seems, it was Christian glurge after all. But the symbolic used is so obscure it completely misses the mark, if you ask me.
Old 24 November 2011, 09:55 PM

I don't know, I just like roses because narcissists in video games seem to love them, and I love the narcissist characters.

I actually do have a friend who I could say all those things about, and they would be true. But neither of us are into glurge, thank God.