snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 03 August 2009, 08:32 PM

I wonder if the other religions have an equivalent?

Besides mummies obviously.

Has anyone dug up a Buddhist/Hindu/Protestant & found him/her intact? And what if they found a Satanist intact then what?!?!
Old 03 August 2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIAG View Post

Has anyone dug up a Buddhist/Hindu/Protestant & found him/her intact? And what if they found a Satanist intact then what?!?!
There are Buddhist mummies. In fact, there is something that a very few Buddhist monks have done before death to prepare their bodies for natural mummification. It involves basically starving yourself, dehdrating yourself, deep, deep meditation, and eating a few things to help the body begin to dessicate IIRC. I saw a show about it on Nat Geo a while back. The monk died meditating and remaind in the seated position he died in. It was really fascinating and I wish I could remember more about it.
Old 03 August 2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIAG View Post

I'd say bog bodies could count.
I never have been able to find out what the religion of those regions were, other than the broad term of Pagan. I know it was poly-theistic, but not what it was called.
Old 04 August 2009, 04:14 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
There are Buddhist mummies. In fact, there is something that a very few Buddhist monks have done before death to prepare their bodies for natural mummification. It involves basically starving yourself, dehdrating yourself, deep, deep meditation, and eating a few things to help the body begin to dessicate IIRC. I saw a show about it on Nat Geo a while back. The monk died meditating and remaind in the seated position he died in. It was really fascinating and I wish I could remember more about it.
You mean Sokushinbutsu.
Old 04 August 2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune27 View Post
I'd say bog bodies could count.
I never have been able to find out what the religion of those regions were, other than the broad term of Pagan. I know it was poly-theistic, but not what it was called.
But but but but... those are people who were "mumified", not kept preserved for no apparent reason.

I am Catholic, and I find things like this suspicious. Not that I think the church is intentionally pulling a fast one over on us, but that humans in the church (be they leaders or lay) assign "miracle", when there could be a logical physical reason for some of these. For example, the Buddhist mummies mentioned by PallasAthena. Most of the "incorruptables" are nuns, who (usually) lead a very austere life. They may have inadvertently been doing what the Buddhist monks were doing intentionally.