snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 09 September 2014, 08:01 PM

Icon103 EPA Takes on the Oyster/Acidification Scaremongers

The "evil twin of global warming", ocean acidification caused by increasing carbon dioxide, is killing billions of oysters in Northwest waters. Major media gave it lots of play, with the Seattle Times producing a glossy series centered around the oyster carnage.Even the New York Time recently gave it front page coverage. But there was a problem. It really wasn't true. There is no evidence that ocean acidification is damaging oysters in Puget Sound or other local waters. Who says so? The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the State of Washington.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2014/0...ification.html
Old 10 September 2014, 12:27 AM

Cheer

That's good news for two reasons. One, oysters aren't in as bad a predicament as feared. Two, the EPA is recognized as a reliable arbiter of science-based policy.
Old 10 September 2014, 02:04 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Two, the EPA is recognized as a reliable arbiter of science-based policy.
[conspiracy] Don't you believe it. EPA is a branch of the federal government, the government is run for the sole benefit of the 1%, therefore any study the EPA so much as cites has to have been falsified to hide the truth. [/conspiracy]

Sadly, I know a number of people who believe that, even though they are not normally conspiracy buffs. Once they settle on an environmental belief, all the science in the world can't convince them their positions are wrong. And these are people who pride themselves on their open-mindedness and admiration for science.

Seaboe
Old 10 September 2014, 02:16 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
And these are people who pride themselves on their open-mindedness and admiration for science.
This is exactly what I find. People that are strong adherents to science in one discipline (global climate change) but willing to reject all the science produced in other disciplines (vaccines or GMO foods).

I'm a proponent of "you can't have it both ways". I get the shoulder then.

If their rejections were more nuanced, for example with GMO foods and worrying about contaminating existing gene stocks in the wild, I'd be OK. But it is usually the broad "GMO is wrong and should be banned" argument that I hear.