snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 21 March 2017, 05:59 PM

Icon13 Unintended Breitbart spots are making advertisers scramble

Breitbart News views itself as espousing “main street American values,” but some advertisers are taking a sharp detour to keep their ads from the site.

Some advertisers are taking extra steps to scrub their spots off Breitbart News and other websites, an unintended consequence of the automated ad buying systems that are meant to lower costs and allow for more targeted advertising.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/breitbar...sers-scramble/
Old 21 March 2017, 07:28 PM

I dropped one of my suppliers a couple of weeks ago because I saw their ad on one of those alt-reich sites. I sent an email to them, and got back a lame excuse about it being out of their control because of the auto-buy system. I loaded a cart with the stuff I am now getting elsewhere and abandoned it.
Old 22 March 2017, 03:32 PM

Interesting article on how online ad placement works.
Old 22 March 2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
I sent an email to them, and got back a lame excuse about it being out of their control because of the auto-buy system.
IOW, it's out of their control because they chose to give up control.

That's their right, and I understand why they do it (to save money and making things easier). But it doesn't exempt them from the consequences, and it doesn't make their customers obligated to ignore that their ads are on such a site.