snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 27 August 2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Sabre View Post
I was thinking more in terms of the Madonna-whore complex, and the idea that a woman with a sexual awareness/identity/libido must have little to no inhibitions about anything.
If that is what is happening (what I've seen seems to be more "Won't someone think of the children!?!?") then that would probably have started before the VMAs as she's be dressing and acting sexy for awhile now.
Old 27 August 2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Unless you know the song already, it was probably hard to make out the lyrics.
Gotcha. I'd read several discussions of the song well prior to this awards show, which is how I know what the song is about.
Old 27 August 2013, 05:30 PM

SInce, I'm not going to look at videos of VMA at work, can someone please enlighten me? Is the song "Blurred Lines", or did Robin Thicke come up with another song that basically says "no means yes"?
Old 27 August 2013, 05:34 PM

Yes. It's Blurred Lines.
Old 27 August 2013, 05:34 PM

The song they sung was "Blurred Lines", but the choreography and themes (especially his Beetlejuice suit) were from the new song "Give it 2 U", which is a crudely-written sex anthem instead of a crudely-written rape anthem.
Old 27 August 2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I haven't seen any comments by him about the performance -- can you point me toward an example?

It was a passing comment on HLN last night -- and repeated in IBI article but attributed to "a source" -- so maybe not a lie -- cause he isn't on record as saying it upset him.

http://www.ibtimes.com/miley-cyrus-u...-video-1399401
Old 27 August 2013, 06:24 PM

It was cringe inducingly hard to watch because of how poorly executed it was. Whatever it was trying to be, it wasn't that. But apparently her album sales are better than ever, so someone must like this stuff.

I'm guessing (hoping?) her demographic must be even younger and dumber than her public persona.
Old 27 August 2013, 06:25 PM

NDL -- So by "all of his protests" you mean one anonymous secondhand report, and it didn't involve the words you put in quotes. Okay.
Old 27 August 2013, 06:39 PM

Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
It also wasn't worth all the attention it got from the news media.
But is "Miley Cyrus twerks, stuns VMA" more or less important a news story than what today's Google Doodle is?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/tech/...220641481.html
Old 27 August 2013, 06:50 PM

But "Clair de Lune" is art!
Old 27 August 2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
Very true. It worked for former Disney Princesses Britney Spears & Christina Aguilera about 10 years ago. They even used the VMAs to do something shocking and show that they were sexual adults.
As the article says...

Quote:
Reaction was swift, as other, slightly older adults paused from maintaining their social standings and making potato salad for the church picnic to express dismay that a young female pop star would do something so scandalous for attention, on a show where young female pop stars have historically done something scandalous for attention.
The controversy did get me to actually watch the video, which....is definitely bizarre. The surreal aspects of all the dancing teddy bears; the repeated sticking out of the tongue, which....is supposed to be sexy? Rebellious? Funny? You got me on that one. The shots of the audience, where some are enthused, but others look baffled and bored. The one woman on stage who Miley pauses to spank, who appears to be there only because she has an enormously large butt - I wonder how they advertised or auditioned for that position? The whole thing does have a kind of freak show/train wreck aspect.

As to the controversy itself....shrug. I can see it from multiple directions. On the one hand, there's got to be a better way for young women, even young peformers, to embrace and demonstrate their adulthood/sexuality than this kind of exhibition; on the other hand, I've heard the people complaining bashed for slut-shaming. On another hand, it's a young woman with enormous fame and money shouting for even more attention, why should I give a damn? But then there's the whole "poor role model" thing and how it contributes to girls (and boys, and men and women for that matter) thinking that the way to riches and popularity is the "sexy attention whore" route (and that "riches and popularity" is all that matters anyway).

The one thing I'm fairly unequivocal in feeling is the hope that Ms. Cyrus does not go down the drug-and-alcohol laced path of self-destruction that is all too common for people in her position, mainly for her own sake, but also for the sake of anyone whose behavior she might inspire, and because it would be more fodder for the tabloid press to exploit.
Old 27 August 2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
The one woman on stage who Miley pauses to spank, who appears to be there only because she has an enormously large butt - I wonder how they advertised or auditioned for that position?
They wouldn't have had to advertise. She's a minor local celebrity in LA. Her other notable feature is that she's 6'7".
Old 27 August 2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
On the one hand, there's got to be a better way for young women, even young peformers, to embrace and demonstrate their adulthood/sexuality than this kind of exhibition; on the other hand, I've heard the people complaining bashed for slut-shaming.
This was my response to such attitudes on Facebook this morning:

Quote:
"I think this woman's display of sexuality is vulgar and trashy" is not slut-shaming. It's an aesthetic opinion. Let's not swing the pendulum so far that we can't hold a negative opinion of a performance without being accused of slut-shaming or being anti-feminist.

I don't care who she is, I'm not condemning anyone for acting "sexy". But sexy is subjective and we are fully entitled to find such displays unattractive or distasteful, even embarrassing and sad.
This did not come across as a young woman redefining herself or embracing her sexuality, as I've seen others claim online. It came across as a desperate plea for attention. And criticizing the performance does not imply that she needs to stay "wholesome" or that there's only one proper way for her to grow up. It just means that the whole thing was bad all around.
Old 27 August 2013, 10:10 PM

I've seen a rather surprising amount of hand-wringing about Miley Cyrus lately. It's significantly worse than any hand-wringing about others in her demographic (like Lindsay Lohan, I suppose?) going awry in whatever way. Some of it is about her ties to evangelicalism and her father's supposed "failure" as a parent. (Last I checked, though, Miley was an adult, so...) Whatever she was trying to do, she seems to have struck a nerve, anyway.
Old 28 August 2013, 01:49 AM

I just saw the video. And my first thought was that whoever said that she is trying too hard was right on the money. I lost count of how many times she thrust her genitals towards the audience. And the tongue and teddy bears were wierd. And for all the hype about the twerking, the actual twerking sucked
Old 28 August 2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
This did not come across as a young woman redefining herself or embracing her sexuality, as I've seen others claim online. It came across as a desperate plea for attention. And criticizing the performance does not imply that she needs to stay "wholesome" or that there's only one proper way for her to grow up. It just means that the whole thing was bad all around.
Agreed. But quite a bit of the criticism has been directed at the "vulgarity" of the performance, rather than its ineptness. And those critics, while harshly judging a 20YO woman, are intriguingly silent on the conduct of the 36YO man on the stage with her.
Old 28 August 2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
What I don't get is why it's totally fine to be shocked by her (admittedly silly and stupid) performance, but nary a whisper is heard about the song itself, which is a stunning and disgusting display of rape culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Because Robin Thicke said that entertainment is more important.
Also, his wife, an actual vagina-having woman, approves of the song, so you ladies can all settle down now.
Old 28 August 2013, 09:01 AM

Soapbox Miley Cyrus and the issues of slut-shaming and racial condescension

Miley Cyrus is America’s worst nightmare. With her performance at the MTV Video Music Awards, she proved that many people in this country are still pre-occupied with slut-shaming and coded racial condescension in the context of entertainment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...4a1_story.html
Old 28 August 2013, 12:31 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Also, his wife, an actual vagina-having woman, approves of the song, so you ladies can all settle down now.
A mighty broad brush 'ya got there, Michelangelo. Use it often?

~Psihala
Old 28 August 2013, 12:35 PM

It's sometimes hard to identify sarcasm, but phrases like "vagina-having" are often a giveaway.