snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 21 May 2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Nothing is quite as outdoorsy as a bunch of men, who go hunting only once a year, and never come back with anything but a couple of two-fours of empties.

Hey, if they get a good hike in the woods in, and don't shoot anything they shouldn't, I'm all for it.
Old 21 May 2013, 07:13 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
I think this is generally true, but even more so in the last 20-25 years. I vividly remember as a kid, neighbors and acquaintances in my home town of 6,000 (albeit only 20 miles from Montreal) people would take hunting trips to hunt big game (moose, sometimes bear).
I've been all over the "near north" in Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Even New Brunswick. Even the "big towns" up there are so isolated and in such "wild" country where you basically step out of your back yard and you are in "the bush". That's not really true of the major population centers in Canada. I don't know how far you have to go to hunt moose from only 20 miles outside of Montreal - probably quite a ways.

Those hunters I know, even in the bigger cities, were always doing it as a group activity because it took a large group of 4 or 5 to be "guaranteed" a moose tag, and the work and expense of transport and butchering made it necessarily a group activity. FWIW, I have personally never met any Canadian who only hunts "for sport" - all the hunters I knew ate whatever they hunted - even those who hunted "predators" like bear.
Old 22 May 2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Wow, you have some massive mice!
Damn you autocorrect! Damn you to hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Are large animal crossings/underpasses constructed every so often, or are the crossings where streams are bridged sufficient?
Sometimes, but they are very few, probably less than 10 in the entire country. We only have fences on the larger roads, and, as moose and deer (reindeer excluded) are not migratory, there's plenty of space for them to move about on anyway.

Example: Look at this map of my home town and surrounding towns. Only the main road between the towns that are named on the map are fenced (and not even all of those). As you can see, plenty of space for them to wander about on.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...3,1.664429&z=9

Also, they tend to find their way around at natural crossings, such as water, or where there are no fences.

Reindeer, as mentioned, are migratory, but they are primarily in areas with little or no roads, so they pose a smaller problem. Also, as they are domesticated, they are herded on their migration, even though they usually wander freely.
Old 22 May 2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
I don't know how far you have to go to hunt moose from only 20 miles outside of Montreal - probably quite a ways.
Not far at all. Ran into some moose a few years back around Lachute, QC.

OY