snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 10 February 2011, 03:02 PM

Cheer The new My Pretty Pony gender alignments chart

I found this over at The Daily What.

I've seen commercials for the new show. I'm seriously tempted to watch it!
Old 10 February 2011, 09:12 PM

Icon18

Do. It's quite surprisingly good.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 10 February 2011, 10:09 PM

It looks like Hub is angling for a reboot of all the major 80's era toy-centric cartoons. So far they have Transformers Prime (all CGI), G. I. Joe Renegades, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Strawberry Shortcake, and, soon, Pound Puppies.
Old 10 February 2011, 11:30 PM

There was a new Care Bears cartoon recently too. I kinda liked it.
Old 12 February 2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbyclaw View Post
Do. It's quite surprisingly good.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
I managed to catch an episode today. The voiced were shrill and sounded like ants on helium, it was sickeningly cutesy and fluffy, and...

... and I couldn't stop watching.

I don't know if it was really that watchable or if I was overcome with nostalgia, but I rather liked it.

Of course, my s/o thinks I'm regressing to childhood and muttered something about me needing therapy as he wandered out the door, but it was somewhat comforting to curl up on the sofa on a Saturday morning and watch ponies have a fashion show.
Old 12 February 2011, 06:38 PM

I just don't get the new design - the old ponies' faces looked, well, sorta horsey. They've shrunken the mouths so much (in an attempt to be cuter, I guess) that they look more like some sort of lizard or insect. It's even worse on the toys than on the 2-D cartoon.
Old 12 February 2011, 07:18 PM

Spit Take

I am awaiting the backlash from the AFA on this cartoon based solely on the pictures posted in the OP. If they condoned a Disney film based on a bent knee under a robe, I can't wait to see what will they do when they see that Lawful Androgyny wears a condom on his horn!
Old 12 February 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
I am awaiting the backlash from the AFA on this cartoon based solely on the pictures posted in the OP. If they condoned a Disney film based on a bent knee under a robe, I can't wait to see what will they do when they see that Lawful Androgyny wears a condom on his horn!
His? That character is female, too. And I think that's supposed to be a magic aura. Unicorn and all that...

... annnnnd now I'm being pedantic about it... nice going, Hub...

Edit: TV Tropes page!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...endshipIsMagic

I agree with the following...

Quote:
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is an all-too-rare example of how to update a retro cartoon the right way.
Quote:
The show is also notable for being helmed by Lauren Faust, wife of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends creator Craig McCracken, and a highly accomplished animator in her own right. Friendship is Magic is her attempt to rescue the genre of girls' cartoons by presenting a clever show with a strong and diverse cast of female characters who aren't pre-occupied with fashion and boys. Her goal is to create an intelligent show for girls, that boys and grown-ups also can watch. So far, she seems to be doing an admirable job of it.
Old 12 February 2011, 11:32 PM

To hijack a bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
It looks like Hub is angling...
I don't know about any of this and don't know what Hub is so I wondered if you had gotten married and your husband was into this sort of thing too. Then I read

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post

Of course, my s/o thinks I'm regressing to childhood and muttered something about me needing therapy as he wandered out the door,
and realized I was wrong about that.
Old 12 February 2011, 11:47 PM

The Hub is a new network that features several well-done reboots of famous 80's cartoons.
Old 13 February 2011, 12:10 AM

OMG! I squeeeeed like a madwoman. And there are boy ponies!

SQUEEEEEEE!
Old 13 February 2011, 12:32 AM

Here's the official YouTube channel. You can watch the entire series if you don't have the Hub.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hubtvmylittlepony

OMGPONIES!
Old 13 February 2011, 04:03 AM

Ok I admit it, I've been Tivo-ing this show ever since a friend of mine (who collect My Little Pony) made me watch the 2-part opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I just don't get the new design - the old ponies' faces looked, well, sorta horsey. They've shrunken the mouths so much (in an attempt to be cuter, I guess) that they look more like some sort of lizard or insect. It's even worse on the toys than on the 2-D cartoon.
I assumed the cartoon was more based on the "Ponyville" toy line... The ponies in the show resemble the Ponyville toys more than the new-style regular My Little Pony to me. Ponyville ponies have giant eyes and tiny little noses compared to the "regular" ponies.

I agree about the new design in general though, I always thought the "new" My Little Pony looked like they all got severe liposuction compared to the 1980s toys, but the Ponyville toys are much more extreme than even the new style.
Old 13 February 2011, 04:15 AM

It's cute but I'm not sure I get the difference between lawful and regular androgyny. (Or girliness/boyishness.) Or what's boyish about the last one...
Old 13 February 2011, 04:29 AM

The characters' personalities, mostly.

For example, "Lawful Boyish" and "Chaotic Boyish" (ie Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash) are somewhat rough around the edges and tomboyish.

I haven't seen the other two characters on the Androgyny axis, but "Lawful Androgyny" (Twilight Sparkle... no relation to works by Stephanie Meyer ) is the de facto main character of the series. She's "androgynous" I guess because she's organized and studious. She's not frou-frou and squeaky like the "girly" characters, but is also not rowdy like the "boyish" ones.

And here I go being pedantic again. I've seen three episodes fercryinoutloud!

Last edited by TallGeekyGirl; 13 February 2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 13 February 2011, 04:50 AM

The "Chaotic Androgyny" one is Trixie, she only showed up in one episode that I've seen. I don't think the "Androgyny" one has a name, it's just a background character.
Old 13 February 2011, 06:04 AM

Icon18

"Androgyny" is a background peg known as "Derpy Hooves" to the fandom (yes, there is a fandom and I am familiar with it. I have no shame.) due to an animation gaffe/gag that involved her having a dopey, walleyed expression in the background of a scene in the first episode. Some people have speculated that her name might be "Ditzy Doo," a name that gets mentioned in another episode to refer to a never-seen and not-very-bright pegasus, and Lauren Faust has basically shrugged at that and said, "Hey, why not." Derpy got a significant scene -- although no lines yet -- in this week's episode.

...Oh, don't judge me.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 13 February 2011, 05:02 PM

And speaking of the fandom and background ponies...

In one episode there was a boy pony with a shaggy brown mane who had an hourglass as his "cutie mark*."

He had no real characterization in the episode, but since the cutie mark is supposed to be indicative of the pony's personality or special interest, he's been nicknamed Doctor Whooves and it's been suggested that he can... time travel... and is the last survivor of... Gallopfrey...

*The cutie mark is the symbol on each pony's flank.

Edit: And I've noticed that there are more than a few nerdy Easter eggs. For example, Twilight Sparkle sometimes comes off as a bit of a nerd. Keep that in mind, and pay attention to the race number she was given...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYiX9xfCubo

Hmmm.....

Last edited by TallGeekyGirl; 13 February 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:56 PM

I picked up my first episode on TiVo today. I added the season pass after the good words here, and discovery I actually get that channel.

I liked it quite a bit and can't wait to see more. Which it looks like I will tomorrow because they're advertising some sort of valentine's marathon that includes it.

I wasn't in love with the moral of the story though (just because you can't figure out how something works doesn't mean it doesn't work, sometimes you just have to have faith), I almost thought they were going to start into creationism or something there at the end. It was a little annoying that Twilight was more or less bitch-slapped with "stop trying to figure it out, just believe" there at the end after she had been trying to use inductive reasoning all episode. I do like that they showed her actually trying to figure something out scientifically rather than it being all about how to look cute or attract boys tho. Even the girliest role, while sweet, wasn't too stupid to notice she was being spied on all day - she was just too nice to spoil the other pony's fun.

I also picked up Pound Puppies and liked it as well. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Rene Auberjonois in a small (human) role. My husband and I have been working our way through all of DS9 in the evenings the past couple months, and I always liked him as an actor.

Last edited by mags; 13 February 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 14 February 2011, 12:14 AM

Yay! Derpy avatar!