snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 10 May 2013, 01:58 AM

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocMills View Post
I must have re-watched "We're not inside yet" - drop - about a dozen times. Laughed so hard I thought I was going to fall out of my chair.
I thought it was kind of a cheat, because the terms of the bet were "whoever gets to the club last buys lunch," not "whoever enters the club last buys lunch."

Still, I thought it was pretty funny that the old Spock didn't stand over the prone body of his vanquished foe and gloat, as you might expect, but instead simply walked away without even turning around.
Old 10 May 2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I did not say I don't care about the topic.
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. When you said:

Quote:
If I really cared.
you meant you did, in fact, care. Gotcha.
Old 10 May 2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I thought it was kind of a cheat, because the terms of the bet were "whoever gets to the club last buys lunch," not "whoever enters the club last buys lunch."
I didn't see that as a "cheat" so much since I think Spock was saying "technically" in that they were just in front of the club but by going inside they were "there". But even if it was a cheat, it wasn't totally un-Spock like in my book in hindsight.

Quote:
Still, I thought it was pretty funny that the old Spock didn't stand over the prone body of his vanquished foe and gloat, as you might expect, but instead simply walked away without even turning around.
I would't think that characteristic of old Spock at all (IMO), but he did gloat a little bit since he easily disposed of his foe with a 'see you later' sort of thing. Either way I didn't see it coming anyhow - the neck pinch thing was something I didn't expect given that it doesn't actually exist.

Last edited by diddy; 10 May 2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 10 May 2013, 03:57 AM

Icon95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
you meant you did, in fact, care. Gotcha.
Yes, I did, for the first... I don't know - what seemed like a minute.
Old 10 May 2013, 04:17 AM

Ok so why chime in with a group of people who are clearly enjoying it? It's not just you, this happens a lot, it even happens in real life, I just don't understand why. So humor me a bit, and try to explain it to me. If a group of people are talking to each other and going on about how they enjoy a certain thing, whether it be a sporting event, or a movie or a book, what do you get by coming in and telling everyone of your disdain for said thing? I mean why? What's gained from that? Do you just want to join the conversation? Why? If you don't like the thing, what's to enjoy about the conversation? Are you trying to convince them not to like it? Do you think that will work? Do you just want to sound superior to them? Why not just mosey on along and find something else to talk about?

Gibbie
Old 10 May 2013, 04:22 AM

Maybe someone else feels the same way as I do and enjoys hearing a similar opinion. Not saying it's likely but it's possible. Maybe someone else likes and and doesn't mind hearing other people's honest opinion. If everyone here hated it and was enjoying lambasting it but I enjoyed it should I also not say anything or are some opinions just better than others?
Old 10 May 2013, 04:29 AM

I think they way you said it (which reminds me of the way people yawn and snifflily dismiss sports chatter) felt very condescending. And again, it's not just you, this phenomenon happens a lot. Something really popular and someone else has to come in with all this pretension and talk about how really bad it is. Sometimes, it just better to keep on moving, and let people like what they like, ya know?

Gibbie
Old 10 May 2013, 04:39 AM

Facebook

You're probably right. I guess that's why FB doesn't have a "dislike" button.
Old 10 May 2013, 04:42 AM

I watched this commercial several times in a row, and was absolutely, utterly, delighted. The fangirl in me sqeeed until it could squee no more. Car commercials are not something I'm ever entertained by, until I saw this. I'm now a fan of Audi, solely for the fact that they made one awesome commercial, but it doesn't really matter because it's doubtful that I'll ever be in a position to purchase any Audi vehicle.
Old 10 May 2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did, for the first... I don't know - what seemed like a minute.
I have no idea what "like a minute" means. You posted something and I responded. I can't respond to what you haven't posted.

Quote:
Maybe someone else feels the same way as I do and enjoys hearing a similar opinion. Not saying it's likely but it's possible. Maybe someone else likes and and doesn't mind hearing other people's honest opinion. If everyone here hated it and was enjoying lambasting it but I enjoyed it should I also not say anything or are some opinions just better than others?
Ganz, if your first post had said something like what you said in Post #20, my response would have been very different. Try re-reading both posts and see if you can understand why one struck me as condescending and pointless and the other as simply an opinion that differs from mine.
Old 11 May 2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I have no idea what "like a minute" means.
It simply means I watched the first part of the commercial for what seemed like a minute with great but steadily decreasing interest. I'm sure it was less than a minute but it seemed long because, great actors notwithstanding, it was soporific. By the end of that first half, I had completely lost interest.