snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Old 04 June 2018, 04:21 PM

Default The 'unbearable stench of an unwashed man'... forces airliner to divert

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...er-divert.html

Quote:
An airplane full of tourists was forced to divert after a passenger's foul-smelling body odour reportedly caused those around him to vomit and faint.
It is the Daily Mail, so it is heavy on the sensationalism of course. I wonder if perhaps the passenger had some sort of medical condition that was causing the odor.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
At one point, flight crew reportedly tried to quarantine the 'unwashed' man in a toilet before the pilots decided to divert the flight.
puzzling... would they have authority to do this?
and if they did, did he smell bad enough that the fans couldn't keep it contained?

Quote:
A picture taken by one of the passengers show medical personnel taking the smelly man from the aeroplane into a bus.
This made me laugh though..."smelly man"
Old 04 June 2018, 06:15 PM

Icon22

I think flight crews have an awful lot of authority to keep the peace when necessary.

Doesn't "The Unbearable Stench of an Unwashed Man" sound like a great name for an album?
Old 04 June 2018, 06:37 PM

Glasses

Only if it's a punk group.

Seaboe
Old 04 June 2018, 06:50 PM

sounds like the direct to DVD sequel to "the unbearable lightness of being"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I think flight crews have an awful lot of authority to keep the peace when necessary.
Keep the peace, sure, but sequester someone that is not violent (at least no reports mention his being violent) is something else.
Old 04 June 2018, 07:08 PM

Given the effect he was apparently having on the other passengers, maybe they were the ones who were threatening to be violent, but it was easier to just move the "smelly man."
Old 04 June 2018, 07:24 PM

I do wonder whether they'd have similarly removed somebody drenched in perfume.

-- and I also suspect there was a medical issue. I have been around people living without plumbing, while doing physical work in hot weather. A certain degree of pong does build up; but not to the point of producing vomiting, let alone fainting.
Old 04 June 2018, 07:33 PM

I will never, never forget one bus ride in Chicago with an incredibly smelly man. There were enough open seats that passengers just all moved away from him because he was so close to the front of the bus. I kind of felt bad for him, but the smell was ungodly.

In his case, I have no doubt it was some kind of sickness, rather than not washing, that was the issue. It was an awful smell, defying description, but very sweet smelling, too. At the time, I remember thinking it was maybe something to do with diabetes.

I also remember being thankful that the book I was reading at the time was very musty from a damp basement because I could literally bury my nose in the pages and escape his smell for a moment.

I know that the headline makes the actions of the airline seem incredible, but being trapped on (well ventilated, rather large) public transportation with a smelly man can be horrible. If I had been in closer proximity, no way would I have been able to stand it without a reaction.
Old 04 June 2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
puzzling... would they have authority to do this?
I would imagine there is a protocol in place for putting someone into quarantinine who is deemed a threat to others’ health. I’m thinking Ebola or dysentery type symptoms, but if adults around him were vomiting and fainting, I can understand the conclusion that he was a nonviolent threat.
Old 04 June 2018, 08:32 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
I would imagine there is a protocol in place for putting someone into quarantinine who is deemed a threat to others’ health....
How would that work? On a full flight, I can't imagine what space they could put aside to quarantine someone, unless putting them in the bathroom is the plan.
Old 04 June 2018, 09:42 PM

That’s what they tried to do in the OP.

But this is total conjecture on my part. Anyone know the real protocol for someone oozing toxins on an airplane?
Old 26 June 2018, 11:02 PM

Default Musician taken off plane over ‘unbearable’ stench dies of necrosis

Quote:
A Russian rock guitarist whose illness caused an emergency plane landing last month has died, after multiple surgeries at a hospital in Portugal. He was diagnosed with tissue necrosis after a vacation in Spain.

A Transavia flight from the Canary Islands to the Netherlands was forced to land in Faro, Portugal on May 30, after multiple passengers passed out or vomited citing an “unbearable” smell on board.
https://www.rt.com/news/430963-passe...gency-landing/
Old 26 June 2018, 11:11 PM

That is not the stench of the unwashed, it is the stench of rotting flesh.
Old 26 June 2018, 11:13 PM

No wonder people were vomiting and fainting. The smell of rotting flesh is a horrible stench, possibly by evolution.

ETA: The two might be closely related. Body odor is caused by Staphylococcus hominis bacteria feeding on lipids in sweat. And necrotizing facsiitis can be caused by staph bacteria.

Last edited by GenYus234; 26 June 2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 26 June 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That is not the stench of the unwashed, it is the stench of rotting flesh.
I know. I kind of feel bad about sharing the original Daily Mail article now, with its sensationalizing the incident and implication that the smell was merely a result of not bathing (and thus blaming it on the man) rather than a life threatening infection.