snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 13 December 2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down," "A Better Man," "Crush on You," "Earth Angel," "Hotel California," "(I'm) Stranded," "Indian Reservation," "It's Too Soon to Know," "Lies," "My Boyfriend's Back."

Hmm... The Eagles did "Hotel California," the Penguins did "Earth Angel," The Angels did "My Boyfriend's Back" - I was thinking band names with wings, but that doesn't seem to work for Paul Revere & the Raiders. I'm stumped.
I think your hint gave it to me. Sports teams in band names. Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Penguins, Oakland Raiders, LA Angels (of Anaheim), or whatever they're called now.
Old 13 December 2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post

Hmm... The Eagles did "Hotel California," the Penguins did "Earth Angel," The Angels did "My Boyfriend's Back" - I was thinking band names with wings, but that doesn't seem to work for Paul Revere & the Raiders. I'm stumped.
The Jets for "Crush on You" works for wings. Paul Revere's hat had a feather, didn't it?

ETA per Stan the Man: Jets works for teams too, so does Raiders, who cares about a feather!
Old 13 December 2011, 05:37 PM

Better Man...is that Robbie Williams or Pearl Jam?

BTW - #7 from last week:

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these actors:
Roberto Benigni, Kate Capshaw, Johnny Depp, Hugh Grant, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Lee, Rebecca Pidgeon, Meg Ryan

All have played booksellers in the movies! For completists, the films are Life Is Beautiful, The Love Letter, The Ninth Gate, Notting Hill, 84 Charing Cross Road, Hugo, State and Main, and You've Got Mail. Why are all these movies post-1985? Didn't movie bookstores exist before the mid-'80s? (Don't say Dorothy Malone in The Big Sleep. She didn't own the shop, she was just filling in. Ditto for Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face.)
Old 13 December 2011, 06:06 PM

Top Secret came out in 1984 and featured a scene in a bookstore.

Also, he left out Selma Hayeck, who owned a bookstore in Desperado.
Old 13 December 2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Better Man...is that Robbie Williams or Pearl Jam
Pretty sure that the Pearl Jam track is just "Better Man" (or even "Betterman") - no idea who recorded "A Better Man," but I'm if Stan's on the right track, I'm having a hard time picturing a matchup between, say, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Tunstall Robbie Williamses.
Old 13 December 2011, 06:45 PM

Baseball

Clint Black did a song called A Better Man.
Old 14 December 2011, 08:26 AM

The Mavericks sang All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down
Old 16 December 2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
6. Where do 4,000 tourists travel every year to see the 887 world-famous "moai"?
Easter Island
Old 20 December 2011, 04:55 PM

Glasses

It is Tuesday, is it not? MacLloyd? Spam? Anybody?

Seaboe
Old 20 December 2011, 05:35 PM

Sorry, Seaboe! My cell phone is at home, and I can't get into Hotmail from my work computer!
Old 21 December 2011, 12:14 AM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. British newspaper columnist Benjamin Mee wrote a 2008 book about his unusual experience in Dartmoor, England, where he bought what? He bought a zoo! The new Matt Damon movie is (loosely) based on his memoir.

2. Which U.S. state's quarter shows a map of a territory containing not just that state but also thirteen others? The Louisiana state quarter includes a map of the entire Louisiana Purchase. In hindsight, this question should have said "at least part of thirteen others," now that I think about it. We here at Tuesday Trivia regret the error.

3. Which Olympic sport uses the smallest ball? Even when golf comes back to the Summer Olympics in 2016, table tennis will still have a smaller ball.

4. What band is releasing a new beer, an India pale ale called MMMhop? Hanson, of late-'90s "MMMBop" fame. Apparently the beer will have notes of caramel, light roast, and desperation.

5. It was proved in 1964 that 0, 1, and what other number are the only perfect squares in the Fibonacci sequence? You had to do quite a few additions before you got to the thirteenth Fibonacci number: 144.

6. Where do 4,000 tourists travel every year to see the 887 world-famous "moai"? The moai are the 20- to 30-ft. statues that allow Easter Island to sell lots more t-shirts and snow-globes than it would otherwise.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down," "A Better Man," "Crush on You," "Earth Angel," "Hotel California," "(I'm) Stranded," "Indian Reservation," "It's Too Soon to Know," "Lies," "My Boyfriend's Back." All were recorded by bands who shared their names with North American pro sports teams. To wit: the Mavericks, Thunder, Jets, Penguins, Eagles, Saints, Raiders, Orioles, Knickerbockers, and Angels.
Old 21 December 2011, 12:20 AM

Theme Icon

Look, it's a bracing blast of holiday trivia direct from the magic elves who write Tuesday Trivia! Try these seven questions out for a little comfort and joy--"Yule" be glad you did. Wait, if you hate tacky holiday puns, maybe you won't.

Whether you submit answers to our scoreboard at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...pic.php?t=6716 or just play along at home, please accept our happiest holiday wishes from our home to yours. Merry Christmas*!

* Or other less successful winter holiday of your choice.

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What South African region takes its name from the fact that Vasco da Gama first sighted it on December 25, 1497?

2. What traditional holiday item often includes a succade made of citron?

3. In 1906, what American author wrote, "In a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest"?

4. How many candles are there in a Kwanzaa kinara?

5. Dr. Christmas Jones, a nuclear physicist who wears a D-cup, is a "Bond girl" from which 007 film?

6. In the Roman calendar, December 25 was Brumalia. What's the scientific name for the occasion marked by Brumalia?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these works of art? Cassatt's Mother and Child, Degas's The Ballet Rehearsal, Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergere, Escher's Three Spheres, Fuseli's The Nightmare, Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding, Velazquez's Las Meninas, Vermeer's Woman with a Pearl Necklace.
Old 21 December 2011, 12:31 AM

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. I don't know.

2. Fruitcake

3. O. Henry?

4. 8?

5. Not even a guess

6. Winter Solstice
Old 21 December 2011, 05:13 AM

Whalephant

#6 is Tomorrow Never Dies.

#1. Natal?
Old 21 December 2011, 06:50 AM

1. What South African region takes its name from the fact that Vasco da Gama first sighted it on December 25, 1497?

Cape of Good Hope

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these works of art? Cassatt's Mother and Child, Degas's The Ballet Rehearsal, Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergere, Escher's Three Spheres, Fuseli's The Nightmare, Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding, Velazquez's Las Meninas, Vermeer's Woman with a Pearl Necklace.

There are mirrors in them, at least those I know.
Old 21 December 2011, 07:14 AM

Ooh yes, I know no. 7 for once. A bit more specific than Floater's answer: They all have mirrors which reflect the artist, or at least (in the case of the Bar at the Folies-Bergere) the "viewer" who takes the place of the artist.

Others:

1. Natal
5. Die Another Day, I think. It was the last before Daniel Craig, anyway.
Old 21 December 2011, 07:19 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
5. Die Another Day, I think. It was the last before Daniel Craig, anyway.
It wasn't Die Another Day since Christmas was played by Denise Richards, and I am 99% sure it's Tomorrow Never Dies.
Old 21 December 2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
The Christmas Coast?
Quote:
In Germany, that would be Stollen. I don't know if that speciality is known in the US.
Quote:
6. In the Roman calendar, December 25 was Brumalia. What's the scientific name for the occasion marked by Brumalia?
Winter Soltice?
Quote:
Spin offs and artistic citations are better known that the original?
Old 21 December 2011, 12:23 PM

Cape of Good Hope?

Fruitcake

3. In 1906, what American author wrote, "In a last word to the wise of these days let it be said that of all who give gifts these two were the wisest"?

O. Henry (whose real name escapes me at the moment)

I used to know this... seven?

5. Dr. Christmas Jones, a nuclear physicist who wears a D-cup, is a "Bond girl" from which 007 film?

Tomorrow Never Dies?

Autumnal Equinox

Prominent reflection(s)
Old 21 December 2011, 12:54 PM

Natal

Glace fruit is used in Christmas Pudding

The Gift of the Magi by O Henry

Is that the Jewish candle holder? 5?

Denise Richards in The World Is Not Enough

Solstace (Solstitium?)

I only know of two of these of the top of my head and they both have women looking into mirrors, so I'll guess they all have women looking into mirrors.
Closed Thread