snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 28 January 2013, 01:39 PM

Spit Take Louisiana stops sale of cheap milk at market

A Louisiana supermarket was forced to yank its low-cost milk special after state auditors objected to the price. Fresh Markets in Perkins Rowe was selling milk for $2.99 a gallon as part of a weekly promotion deal, but Louisiana requires that retailer markups be at least 6 percent above invoice and shipping costs, The Advocate reports.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/27...ilk-at-market/
Old 28 January 2013, 01:43 PM

Well that explains why milk seemed so much more expensive in La when I've been down there for work. I wonder if the logic behind it was to protect smaller dairies from out of state suppliers.
Old 28 January 2013, 01:49 PM

I have seen either laws or proposals like that to keep a large chain from coming in and driving small chains or individual stores out of business by undercutting them at a loss until competition is destroyed. At least in modern times, the approach of laws like this (if this is the intent) is flawed because big chains like WalMart, Kroger, and Publix can get so much of their stuff much cheaper than the stores which buy smaller lots. Milk is often $2.99 here, and I am confident they are not selling at a loss.