Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 13 June 2018, 12:16 PM

1. RNA.

2. Spices.

3. New Zealand?

4. Don't know.

5. Skating.

6. Don't know.

7. There are a couple on there that I know started out as private, went public, then went private again, so I'm going to go with that.
Old 13 June 2018, 06:09 PM

Canada

1. What complicated molecule comes in varieties including messenger, transfer, and ribosomal? RNA

2. McCormick & Company, which owns brands like Old Bay and Zatarain's, is the world's largest manufacturer of what? Grinding and blending of spices and seasonings.

3. Liberia is the only foreign country with a capital named for a U.S. president. What's the only foreign country with a capital named for a British prime minister? Wellington NZ comes to mind but that's not it. Maybe people think that Churchill, Manitoba is capital of Canada (it is for polar bears).

4. What Chinese word fills both blanks in this famous quote? "The ______ that can be expressed is not the eternal _____." Every now and zen, I get one right. This the answer is Tao.

5. The original "Frick and Frack," whose name caught on in American slang, were famous for what sport? American Football? Nah - that's a wussy sport compared to ice skating...

6. The first seven Americans to win the Nobel Peace Prize were all statesman-diplomats, with the exception of what woman? Gotta guess it was maybe a suffragette - no clue on the name.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these companies? American Greetings, Burger King, Conair, Dell, Dole, Heinz, Hilton, Jo-Ann, Levi's, Panera, Walgreens, Yahoo. Tilted letter in their logo?
Different name in other countries (i.e. Burger King = Hungry Jack in Australia)? Named after their founders in some roundabout way?
Old 19 June 2018, 10:44 AM

Happy Tuesday, everyone. Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What complicated molecule comes in varieties including messenger, transfer, and ribosomal?
Those are three of the many types of RNA, or ribonucleic acids.

2. McCormick & Company, which owns brands like Old Bay and Zatarain's, is the world's largest manufacturer of what?
Check your spice rack: McCormick processes and packages spices and seasonings and flavorings of all kinds. This is not a sponsored question, but if McCormick & Company is reading: PLEASE SEND SPICES thank you! I am out of marjoram.

3. Liberia is the only foreign country with a capital named for a U.S. president. What's the only foreign country with a capital named for a British prime minister?
Arthur Wellesley, the 1st Duke of Wellington, had a political career after his Napoleon-defeating days were over. Wellington, New Zealand is named for the two-time prime minister.

4. What Chinese word fills both blanks in this famous quote? "The ______ that can be expressed is not the eternal _____."
The Tao that can be expressed is not the eternal Tao, according to Lao-tzu in the Tao Te Ching.

5. The original "Frick and Frack," whose name caught on in American slang, were famous for what sport?
Today you can call any annoying or inseparable duo "Frick and Frack," but the original Frick and Frack were Werner Groebli and Hansruedi Mauch, two popular Swiss ice skaters.

6. The first seven Americans to win the Nobel Peace Prize were all statesman-diplomats, with the exception of what woman?
Jane Addams was the "mother of social work."

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these companies? American Greetings, Burger King, Conair, Dell, Dole, Heinz, Hilton, Jo-Ann, Levi's, Panera, Walgreens, Yahoo.
Each of these was a public company that bucked the IPO trend at some point in its recent history by going private.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Between 1993 and 2010, South African record producer "Mutt" Lange was married to what singer, for whom he produced the best-selling album of the 1990s?

2. What's the name of the circular dance that often accompanies "Hava Nagila" at Jewish weddings?

3. What breed of hunting dog takes its name from the French for "rather low"?

4. The 1936 and 1964 summer Olympics were opened, respectively, by what two world leaders--who, despite their close historical association, never actually met in person?

5. According to the 1999 film, what is the second rule of Fight Club?

6. What word from "Jabberwocky" is also an oceanographic term for a system of circulating ocean currents?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV shows? Grace Under Fire, Gun, Life Goes On, Providence, Time of Your Life, The Wonder Years.

Enjoy!
Old 19 June 2018, 11:22 AM

#1 is Shania Twain.

#2 is the hora?

#4 - maybe Hitler and Hirohito?
Old 19 June 2018, 11:24 AM

Bassett?

4. The 1936 and 1964 summer Olympics were opened, respectively, by what two world leaders--who, despite their close historical association, never actually met in person?

Hitler and Hirohito
Old 19 June 2018, 11:34 AM

1. Don't know.

2. The hora.

3. Bassett?

4. Hitler and Hirohito.

5. You do not talk about Fight Club.

6. Don't know.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 19 June 2018, 11:54 AM

Wow I know almost all of these. I'm on my phone now and it's difficult to do the spoiler white-out, so I'll have to post my answers later.
Old 19 June 2018, 01:26 PM

1. Between 1993 and 2010, South African record producer "Mutt" Lange was married to what singer, for whom he produced the best-selling album of the 1990s? Shania Twain

2. What's the name of the circular dance that often accompanies "Hava Nagila" at Jewish weddings? Hora

3. What breed of hunting dog takes its name from the French for "rather low"? Must be the basset hound

4. The 1936 and 1964 summer Olympics were opened, respectively, by what two world leaders--who, despite their close historical association, never actually met in person? Hitler and... Hirohito?

5. According to the 1999 film, what is the second rule of Fight Club? You do not talk about Fight Club?

6. What word from "Jabberwocky" is also an oceanographic term for a system of circulating ocean currents? Gyre?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV shows? Grace Under Fire, Gun, Life Goes On, Providence, Time of Your Life, The Wonder Years. They use a Beatles song (or cover version) as theme music.

I... I think I may actually be 7 for 7 on this one. (It helps that 3, arguably 4 of these are music-related.)
Old 19 June 2018, 02:12 PM

Baseball 4, maybe 6, this week

1. Shania Twain

2. Having taken dance at university and having lived in Israel, I can say it is called the Hora.

3. Basset hound? Sounds right

4. Berlin and Tokyo Olympics? Gotta be Hitler and Hirohito.

5. Don't talk about Fight Club.

6. Gyre? Not sure on the Jabberwocky part.

7. I've never watched an episode of any, but I was aware of Grace Under Fire and the Wonder Years. I'm going to say that the Directors for all came from the same fraternity at university.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:15 PM

5. According to the 1999 film, what is the second rule of Fight Club? There is pron about Fight Club?
Old 19 June 2018, 02:40 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Between 1993 and 2010, South African record producer "Mutt" Lange was married to what singer, for whom he produced the best-selling album of the 1990s?
Shania Twain.
Quote:

2. What's the name of the circular dance that often accompanies "Hava Nagila" at Jewish weddings?
Well, when I learned a version of it in gym class, we called it the Zorba dance. Somehow, I don't think that's its Jewish name.
Quote:

I assume that's the Basset hound, based on the word bas.
Quote:

Hitler and Churchill? Where were the 1964 summer Olympics?
Quote:

5. According to the 1999 film, what is the second rule of Fight Club?
Second verse, same as the first: you don't talk about fight club
Quote:

6. What word from "Jabberwocky" is also an oceanographic term for a system of circulating ocean currents?
I don't know enough of the poem to say, and my concentration is at the mercy of the roto-hammering going on beneath my feet. ETA: UEL, yes, that word is from Jabberwocky.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV shows? Grace Under Fire, Gun, Life Goes On, Providence, Time of Your Life, The Wonder Years.
Not knowing, I'd be afraid to say (not really, but that popped into my head so I wrote it down). I haven't seen any of them, although I do have some sound track CDs for the Wonder Years.

Seaboe
Old 19 June 2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post

I... I think I may actually be 7 for 7 on this one. (It helps that 3, arguably 4 of these are music-related.)
Out of curiosity, what's the arguable one?
Old 19 June 2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the arguable one?
There's a popular choral setting of Jabberwocky by Sam Pottle. While not my first encounter with the text, it's the reason I have the whole thing memorized.
Old 19 June 2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
There's a popular choral setting of Jabberwocky by Sam Pottle.
Which was then covered by the Kingsmen?
Old 19 June 2018, 08:21 PM

I confess I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm intrigued.

I Googled and found this excerpt from a book called The Witchfinder by one Loren D. Estleman, but that seems a bit obscure.

Quote:
When Jean Sternhagen saw me she flashed her too-wide smile, pointed at the sign, and mouthed, "We're closed." She looked genuinely apologetic.

I mouthed something elaborate and unintelligible back. She shook her head, puzzle lines on her brow. I recited part of "Jabberwocky" and most of "Louie Louie" while she strained to read my lips. Finally she snapped back the lock and opened the door.

Works every time.
Old 19 June 2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I confess I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm intrigued.
It was a joke about how unclear the lyrics to "Louie, Louie" are and how they could be singing Jaberwocky for all most people can tell.
Old 20 June 2018, 02:01 AM

1. Between 1993 and 2010, South African record producer "Mutt" Lange was married to what singer, for whom he produced the best-selling album of the 1990s? Celine Dion.

2. What's the name of the circular dance that often accompanies "Hava Nagila" at Jewish weddings? The Hora.

5. According to the 1999 film, what is the second rule of Fight Club? Second verse, same as the first! You do NOT talk about Fight Club.

6. What word from "Jabberwocky" is also an oceanographic term for a system of circulating ocean currents? Gyre.
Old 20 June 2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
5. According to the 1999 film, what is the second rule of Fight Club? There is pron about Fight Club?
Sorry, that's the 34th rule of Fight Club.
Old 20 June 2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It was a joke about how unclear the lyrics to "Louie, Louie" are and how they could be singing Jaberwocky for all most people can tell.
I thought that might be it, but wasn't sure if there was some Kingsmen/Lewis Carroll connection that I missed!
Old 20 June 2018, 01:24 PM

hora

basset hound

Adolf Hitler and Emperor Hirohito

gyre