snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 10 November 2017, 08:46 PM

Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Yes indeed! Set an example of goofing off on snopes instead!
Facebook is blocked on my work computer and my phone doesn't get a signal at my desk. I literally can't goof off on Facebook at work. So I have to goof off here instead.
Old 10 November 2017, 09:24 PM

Computers here are blocked from Facebook (except for the Social Media team who actually need it), most private email accounts, and some other stuff. We have a personal-use wifi network (in addition to the VPN used for business purposes) that employees can access with their devices, but we're not allowed to have them out at our desks; you can use them in the break room, rest room area, and a few other spots. (Actually, the particular team I'm on, as we're not taking calls from customers, we are cut a certain amount of slack, so I can get my phone out if I really need to, but it's partly contingent on not abusing the privilege).

We also have a couple of computers set up in the breakroom which people can use to access Facebook and personal email while on break, but I avoid those -- it would mean actually having to remember passwords.
Old 10 November 2017, 10:29 PM

I have a job where I can bring my personal laptop to work. I have to, even, since I'm a caregiver for someone who doesn't have a computer and they got a Kindle a few years ago. Any time they want a new book, I have to purchase it for them (the Kindle itself has the child lock on it so they don't accidentally start buying stuff since they can't use it very well).
Old 10 November 2017, 11:17 PM

Canada

I am an on air deejay. I spend a good portion of my day surfing the web, checking out social media sites and forums for interesting stories. I just have to make sure that I am hitting my breaks on time, getting the weather, local events and music stories out. I work alone and only see my program director about once every two months at which time we share the websites we use for info. It's an easy life at times.
Old 14 November 2017, 01:53 PM

Icon81

Last night just before I went to bed, my phone fell to the floor between the bed and the wall. I could not reach it so I had to a) get out of bed and turn on the hall and dining room lights so I could b) get the gripper thingee. Then I had to go back to the bedroom, to try to get the phone. No luck, so I had to scoot the phone towards the side of the bed so I could reach it. Then I had to put the gripper back and turn out all the lights. Whew! That was tiring!
Old 14 November 2017, 06:22 PM

This morning when my alarm went off, I turned on the radio, except it was playing the nature sound.

I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, even after turning on the light (poor hubby), so I finally turned down the volume to deal with it later.

The off switch is labeled Reset and it is a rather tiny button which is below the hard surface of the clock radio. A tiny button which is about 1/5 the size of the alarm button which is above the surface of the clock radio.

At least now I know.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:26 PM

When I was having a massage early Sunday afternoon, the alarm clock on my cellphone began to sound (in my pants pocket, hanging on a hook on the wall). I had set an alarm to remind myself of a lunch meeting the previous day and not un-set it.

So, for the rest of the massage, the alarm would go off periodically, play for a minute or two, and then snooze again. Harrumph.
Old 16 November 2017, 12:07 AM

I was subjected to the song "Afternoon Delight" while shopping today. I think it's the first time I've heard the song in its entirety. At one point I wanted to vomit. It's just as bad as everyone says it is.
Old 16 November 2017, 01:01 AM

Oh, that's too bad! Maybe I like schmaltz more than the average person. Maybe it's because it's one of the first pop songs I heard on the radio. I remember watching them on TV, wondering "Why are we allowed to watch this? Why is he taking a polaroid of the screen?" TV was for special occasions. The Polaroid was only for family pictures. My family came across an autograph to my parents during a recent house clearing: "I'll still remember you when I'm rich and famous!" But I don't think they stayed in touch.
Old 16 November 2017, 02:14 AM

I just started my second year as HOA president, and it's not looking like it will be a good one. Our neighborhood has been mostly quiet, responsible, professional owners. Last year was mostly uneventful, which is good. Last month a nice retired, British professor sold his house and it was bought by a frenetic Floridian dance instructor/actress.

She is basically computer illiterate. All our existing residents use email, even the 80-90 year olds, and have opted into electronic only communication, but now we're being forced to print out all documents. When she wants to send me something, she'll take a cell phone photo of a screen, print it out on a fax machine, and put it in my mailbox.

She's doing a ton of renovations, which is fine, but she can't or won't understand procedures for making requests to alter the exterior of her property. We will approve almost any reasonable request, and personally I care very little what people do on their property, but there is a set of procedures for the HOA that we are obligated to follow. It's not that difficult to plan things a couple of weeks in advance and fill out a form to describe it. She can't plan, but just decides what she needs on the spur of the moment and then suddenly needs it that very day. Everything is always an emergency and safety hazard and has to be dealt with instantly without going through the process that everyone else has managed to comply with with no trouble.

The previous owner had a respected architect do a full renovation just a year ago, and I know the whole place was in pristine condition when it sold, but to hear her tell how everything is about to fall apart I'm surprised the previous owner didn't spontaneously combust from all the danger. When you add up all the things about her house that she can't live with, she basically hates everything about it and made a very bad decision about where to live.
Old 16 November 2017, 03:52 AM

On the third Wednesday of every month there's a food truck event at the park next to the Folsom Zoo. I make a point of stopping by for dinner on those nights. Tonight I stopped by there and there were no food trucks. After some searching, I found a notice on the city's website saying the event was canceled today due to rain. Yet every time the event is mentioned in the city's newsletter it says "This event continues year-round, rain or shine, on the third Wednesday of each month", which is why I assumed it was still on even though it had been raining on and off today. I'm not sure they understand what "rain or shine" actually means.
Old 16 November 2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I was subjected to the song "Afternoon Delight" while shopping today.
And now it's stuck in my head.
Old 16 November 2017, 10:56 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
The previous owner had a respected architect do a full renovation just a year ago, and I know the whole place was in pristine condition when it sold, but to hear her tell how everything is about to fall apart I'm surprised the previous owner didn't spontaneously combust from all the danger. When you add up all the things about her house that she can't live with, she basically hates everything about it and made a very bad decision about where to live.
Kind of a metaphor for the current resident of a certain house in Washington, DC, huh?
Old 16 November 2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
This morning when my alarm went off, I turned on the radio, except it was playing the nature sound.

I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, even after turning on the light (poor hubby), so I finally turned down the volume to deal with it later.

The off switch is labeled Reset and it is a rather tiny button which is below the hard surface of the clock radio. A tiny button which is about 1/5 the size of the alarm button which is above the surface of the clock radio.

At least now I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
When I was having a massage early Sunday afternoon, the alarm clock on my cellphone began to sound (in my pants pocket, hanging on a hook on the wall). I had set an alarm to remind myself of a lunch meeting the previous day and not un-set it.

So, for the rest of the massage, the alarm would go off periodically, play for a minute or two, and then snooze again. Harrumph.
I do apologize, I don't do it on purpose!
Old 16 November 2017, 01:37 PM

alarm, I do appreciate your letting me get an extra twenty minutes of sleep this morning. It was needed, and I still got up with plenty of time to get my son up and get us both breakfast and lunches packed. I appreciate your watching out for me.
Old 16 November 2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I was subjected to the song "Afternoon Delight" while shopping today. I think it's the first time I've heard the song in its entirety. At one point I wanted to vomit. It's just as bad as everyone says it is.
I have not heard that song in a dog's age. I remember thinking that 'afternoon delight' meant getting together for a picnic. I was a kid at the time.

Errata--sounds like your new resident had a crappy realtor or did not take the realtor's advice regarding the house and the neighborhood.
Old 16 November 2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Kind of a metaphor for the current resident of a certain house in Washington, DC, huh?
I spend too much time on FB I started looking for the like button. Anyway like a thousand times like.
Old 16 November 2017, 02:36 PM

Heavt breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Left phone....at home.....can't....check...Facebook....on breaks....*gasp* ...no texts....personal banking app...*static*....holding on.....
I thought I'd left mine at home this morning, but then I found it in my lunch bag. Whew!
Old 16 November 2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
alarm, I do appreciate your letting me get an extra twenty minutes of sleep this morning. It was needed, and I still got up with plenty of time to get my son up and get us both breakfast and lunches packed. I appreciate your watching out for me.
You're welcome! I thought you looked like you could use it.
Old 16 November 2017, 04:22 PM

alarm, I hope you are not to shaken up from me picking you up in a panic this morning! I was under the impression I overslept, when it was just you beeping at the correct time. I'm sorry!