snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 26 October 2017, 03:51 PM

Read This! Pres. Trump Expected to Declare Opioid Crisis a Nat'l Emergency

Article here.

Apparently this has been in the works since August, but it's only happening now. And I thought I was a procrastinator!

Do any of you think that it will make a difference in the way opioid addiction is treated/approached? I hope so, but I think it's also going to take a major attitude change. (My money is being spent on a bunch of junkies??)*

*Not my opinion.
Old 26 October 2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Do any of you think that it will make a difference in the way opioid addiction is treated/approached?
No. Exhibit A:
Quote:
"What's going on there [with] the drugs pouring into the country," Trump said. "I'll tell you what, we've made a big impact, but still, we need the wall. Part of the reason we need the wall is for drugs."
Exhibit B:
Quote:
... passage of a bill that significantly weakened the Drug Enforcement Agency’s enforcement capabilities in the opioid crisis in favor of lobbying by pharmaceutical companies.
What this will do is spearhead the move to build more privately run prisons to house the addicts and/or increase military equipment transfers to state and local police departments and/or other, unspecified plans that will use the opioid epidemic to increase the profits of GOP donors at the expense of ordinary people.

ETA: I'm sure minorities will come out even worse. Probably increased minimum jail sentences for use of illegal substances that tend to be used more by minority addicts.
Old 26 October 2017, 05:05 PM

No

Sigh....
I don't have an answer, but I don't think throwing people in jail accomplishes anything. I see addiction as a medical/psychiatric issue--many people use the drug(s) as a form of escapism. It's not enough to clean an addict up; (g)you also have to understand why the person became an addict in the first place.
Old 26 October 2017, 06:41 PM

IMUL, the best medical thing you could do to combat addiction would be to better fund mental health care and research including rehabilitation. The best non-medical thing you could do would be to de-stigmatize both mental heath needs and addiction. Some of this is going on as alcoholism is starting to be seen as less a moral failing and more a condition.
Old 27 October 2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The best non-medical thing you could do would be to de-stigmatize both mental heath needs and addiction.
Could not agree more.
Old 27 October 2017, 03:05 PM

The United States has had a "war on drugs" since the '70s or '80s. And that hasn't really done much, in my opinion. I don't know if declaring a crisis will do much. Should drug users be sent to jail/ prison? Maybe, maybe not. But after dealing with a family member and knowing people that have been drug users, you can't make someone quite. Some people stop using sooner than others. Some may need to go to prison to finally get off.
As others have commented, many people that use heroin and other drugs have some underlying issue to deal with. But also many people started using PRESCIPTION pain pills that were legally prescribed by doctors. They eventually got addicted. They may not have intended to become addicted, but unfortunately they did. After awhile, the doctors stopped prescribing the medication or it became too unaffordable, so they went to illegal drugs.