snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Old 27 September 2017, 10:32 PM

Ponder Famous fake news writer found dead outside Phoenix

PHOENIX (AP) — A leading purveyor of fake news in the 2016 presidential election has died outside Phoenix at the age of 38.

Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Mark Casey said Tuesday authorities discovered Paul Horner dead in his bed on Sept. 18.

https://apnews.com/dc0728173537459b9...utside-Phoenix

So they say...
Old 27 September 2017, 11:32 PM

Icon102 Who do you believe when a famous Internet hoaxer is said to be dead?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4fbe43310864

Quote:
“It’s bad that we are late to this story,” Binkowski added, noting that Horner often talked about Snopes as if the site was a nemesis, “but it’s worse if we are taken in.”

The possibility seems extremely remote. But the fact that Snopes is questioning whether Horner is still somewhere, waiting to reveal that he pulled off the greatest hoax of his career, is a testimony to just how successful he was at getting people to believe things that were not true.
Old 28 September 2017, 12:32 AM

I like the apparent disclaimer added at the top of the "fake news" article about Trump protesters being paid - the one that accuses the people he aimed it at of being idiots for being taken in, in exactly the terms that those people might use about others:

Quote:
This story is not real. No one needs money to protest Donald Trump. I personally went to two Donald Trump rallies and I can say with 100% certainty that NONE of the protesters were getting paid. This story I wrote is mocking all of you sheep who think protesters are getting paid. Do your own thinking, retards.
The link given for that quote is interesting, though. It now goes to something on abcnews.com (I don't know the provenance of that site (*(eta) and I now notice that it's not "abcnews.com", it's "abcnews.com.co", which shows how easy it is to be fooled by these things even when you think you're paying attention)) and it also includes a list of associated keywords, or "Topics", for the story, right at the top. Here is the list of associated keywords, as I saw it just now:

http://abcnews.com.co/donald-trump-p...id-to-protest/

Quote:
TOPICS:500Barbara MikkelsonBarbara Mikkelson SnopesBarbara Mikkelson TransgenderBernie SandersCraigslistDavid MikkelsonDonald DrumpfDonald TrumpDonald Trump Paid ProtesterDonald Trump Paid ProtestersDonald Trump ProtesterDonald Trump Protester PaidDonald Trump ProtestersDonald Trump Protesters CraigslistDonald Trump Protesters PaidDonald Trump Says Clinton Pays Protesters $1Donald Trump Says Clinton Pays Protesters $1500Donald Trump Says Clinton Protesters PaidDonald Trump Says Hillary Clinton Pays ProtestersDonate SocksDrumpfHillary Clinton Protesters PaidIs Barbara Mikkelson Transgender?Jeff ZarronandiaKim LaCapriaMake Donald Drumpf!MikkelsonPaidPaid ProtestersPaul HornerProtestersScientologySnopesSnopes Barbara MikkelsonSnopes LiesSnopes SucksSnopes.ComSock It ForwardTrump Protesters CraigslistTrump RallyTrump Says Clinton Pays ProtestersTrump Says Clinton Pays Protesters $1Trump Says Clinton Protesters PaidWomen Are The Future
That is clearly not a neutral list associated with the content of the article! I wouldn't like to say where it came from, but it's interesting. (eta) Less so now that I've noticed that the entire site is fake, rather than (as I'd previously thought) a reproduction of the original fake article on a more legitimate site. It's just a fake list of keywords, basically. But it is obvious that even in the fake list, he was attacking snopes.

I don't envy snopes and his team their jobs!

Last edited by Richard W; 28 September 2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 28 September 2017, 04:50 AM

Icon02

He was a tool. He repeatedly sent us emails threatening to sue us every time we debunked his fake stories, and not in a fun or blustery way.
Old 28 September 2017, 05:27 AM

Don't hold back snopes, tell us how you really feel.

Personally, I think this happened because he knew too much.
Old 28 September 2017, 03:18 PM

Is it just me or do the quotes from his brother sound like he is trying very hard to convince us (and himself) that his brother was a force for good instead of someone who helped Trump get elected?
Old 28 September 2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
He was a tool. He repeatedly sent us emails threatening to sue us every time we debunked his fake stories, and not in a fun or blustery way.
And then claimed that he wanted people to debunk them. What an ass.
Old 28 September 2017, 10:18 PM

Tantrum

He sent this, for example, immediately after the National Report removed their disclaimer in order to better fool readers:

Quote:
Comment: Hi,

I am co-owner and author on National Report.

As you may or may not know our 30+ authors take great pride in the work
that we publish on the site.

You wrote a story confirming our story about Obama running for a third
term was a hoax.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/thirdterm.asp

That is fine. That is your opinion.

What is not fine is you refer to some made up disclaimer that is no where
to be found on the site, archive.org or anywhere on the web.

This is obvious slander and libel. We demand that you remove it now.

Feel free to use the disclaimer we have always used that is listed at the
bottom of the site.

You have 48 hours before we will be forced to take legal action.

Please include your name, and email, and this message. Or just remove your
lies from your article as I'll be checking back.

You have 48 hours.

- Paul Horner
Old 28 September 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Is it just me or do the quotes from his brother sound like he is trying very hard to convince us (and himself) that his brother was a force for good instead of someone who helped Trump get elected?
It’s not just you. It seemed like a bit of a stretch to me, too. If your objective is that you want people to find the truth, you have to, you know, actually make the truth available.

The actions Snopes is describing sound like those of someone who is trying to muddy the waters, not clear them.
Old 28 September 2017, 11:03 PM

Must not have have thought the disclaimer from the snopes article was too libelous* as that is the opening of their current disclaimer with the addition of a part about not taking advice from the articles.

* "That's slander"
"It is not. I resent that. Slander is spoken. Print is libel."

ETA: It would be possible to do what his brother is claiming. It would be like white hat hackers. They find an exploit, then quietly notify the administrators so they can fix it. What he did is find an exploit, then keep exploiting it.
Old 28 September 2017, 11:15 PM

No

He repeatedly complained to us about how much money we were costing him, so I don't think he was a white hat in it for the benefit of society.

My standard response was to suggest he find a business model that wasn't based on lying to people.
Old 28 September 2017, 11:22 PM

It's like Robin Hood if Robin Hood skipped the "to give to the poor" part.
Old 29 September 2017, 12:08 AM

And robbed everybody instead of just the rich.
Old 29 September 2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It's like Robin Hood if Robin Hood skipped the "to give to the poor" part.
but Robin WAS poor!

that's why he lived in the forest instead of a castle, like the rest of the aristocracy and gentry!