snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 04 January 2019, 06:11 AM

Default Was Shirley Temple allowed to see her own movies?

https://books.google.com.au/books?id...temple&f=false

With any luck, that should be a claim about Shirley Temple from a translation of Erich Kšstnerís classic novel Das doppelte Lottchen (the inspiration for Disneyís The Parent Trap). I canít quote it, but if luck fails me, the gist is that Shirley wasnít allowed to see the movies she made when she was 7.

My question is twofold:

1) Is the claim true?
2) I donít speak German (Yes, I know that that makes me sound a little weird. Also, considering the claim is about a book thatís spawned movies Iíve gone on about), so can someone who does tell me if the claim is just an artifact of translation? (i.e. is her name substituted for someone elseís)
Old 04 January 2019, 01:21 PM

I have no idea if the claim is true, but to answer your second question, it's made in the original German version of the novel as well.
Old 04 January 2019, 02:20 PM

Glasses

As far as I recall, neither Shirley's biography by Anne Edwards, American Princess, nor her autobiography, Child Star, mention whether she was allowed to watch her own movies. Having read both, my impression is that she had no interest in watching her movies; she was very busy making new ones and doing publicity.

Seaboe
Old 05 January 2019, 11:16 AM

OK. Thanks for that. I also sent that one to the Facebook group, but I don't know if it will get through.