snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 03 June 2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
Well, we did have that guy in here several years ago who insisted that he called men sluts as well. So there is that, I guess?
Serious question: Was it me? Cuz that sounds like something I'd say.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:21 AM

I think it might have been Bartleby?
Old 03 June 2014, 06:05 AM

I always thought that "slut" originally meant something like "little hussy", but it seems that it's always had a disreputable meaning and in fact the hussies were dragged down because people assumed they were sluts. If only they'd swept more carefully.
Old 03 June 2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
"Man whore" is the genuine equivalent I hear most often, which is rarely. The fact that you have to attach "man" to modify it shows its exclusivity.
Man-whore is used, but it's really not equivalent, because a "whore" is a prostitute, so that implies an exchange of sorts, while "slut" seems to implies someone who gives it for free.

A "slut" would make a terrible whore even though she may enjoy her "job"...
Old 03 June 2014, 01:38 PM

I've heard promiscuous men called sluts also.
Old 03 June 2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I always thought that "slut" originally meant something like "little hussy", but it seems that it's always had a disreputable meaning and in fact the hussies were dragged down because people assumed they were sluts. If only they'd swept more carefully.
It used to refer to terrible housekeeping skills: sluts are slatternly. But not slats.
Old 03 June 2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
I've heard promiscuous men called sluts also.
Poor men! Let's discuss them.
Old 03 June 2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
It used to refer to terrible housekeeping skills: sluts are slatternly. But not slats.
Ah, so it's only the bad hussies who were sluts, but they tarred the rest of them!
Old 03 June 2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Poor men! Let's discuss them.
Or perhaps, rather than just dismissing it with the poor menz card, we could look at whether it is becoming a non-gendered derogatory.

I actually don't think it is. While I hear it used a lot for promiscuous men, especially within my gay circles, it isn't always derogatory and it generally only applies to promiscuity. When applied to women, as the OP is all about, it's not so specific.

Last edited by AmISam; 03 June 2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: being to becoming
Old 03 June 2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmISam View Post
Or perhaps, rather than just dismissing it with the poor menz card, we could look at whether it is becoming a non-gendered derogatory.
It's not, as you go on to point out. So it looks like a case of "poor menz" after all.
Old 03 June 2014, 03:27 PM

Personally I think it's a useful distinction, particularly as, before reading the OP, I hadn't realized that slut wasn't used against women as a primarily promiscuous derogatory. With that premise it had appeared to me that the word was moving towards being non-gendered.
Old 03 June 2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmISam View Post
With that premise it had appeared to me that the word was moving towards being non-gendered.
I don't understand why. The study described in the OP focused only on women's use of the word to describe each other.
Old 03 June 2014, 03:32 PM

I have never heard any straight man get called a slut. I've heard gay guys throw the term around but I'm pretty sure they were doing it ironically (because you know them gays!!!). It's a female-oriented term. Come on. I don't care whether *you* choose to use the word on men either. You may as well say "I use the n-word to describe white people! Therefore it is race-netural!".
Old 03 June 2014, 03:41 PM

I've heard gay men call each other "bitch" and "girl" and "lady," too. That doesn't mean the terms are moving toward being non-gendered.

ETA: IOW, I agree with Johnny.
Old 03 June 2014, 03:44 PM

@Lainie: I was talking about my perception before reading that study.

It seems to also be used relatively non-gender specifically within my daughters peer group (she's 14). As to my circle, there is nothing ironic about it. And I am certainly not saying that because it's used for men by a group that it is gender neutral. My point was that because I had not realized that it was used as a general insult against women and I hear it being used for men on a fairly regular basis I had assumed that it was moving towards being gender neutral.

Presumably I can't be the only one who didn't realize that it wasn't specifically used to denote promiscuity otherwise there wouldn't have been the need for the study.
Old 03 June 2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Man-whore is used, but it's really not equivalent, because a "whore" is a prostitute, so that implies an exchange of sorts, while "slut" seems to implies someone who gives it for free.
That's basically the distinction that I understood. It seems that among women - mostly young women? - it has become the sort of general purpose insult that 'gay' has become amongst adolescents. I ahve a sense that there is a distinction between 'slut' and 'skank' but I cannot quite come up with anything that makes sense.

As for men, the traditional term was 'satyr', which is too darned classical and obscure to have any sort of the insulting impact of the female terms. 'Tomcat' used to be used, at least around the time of The Grapes of Wrath. More recently 'dog' is sometimes used, as in Criminal Minds, when Morgan started to get offended when Reid was talking about how many different women Morgan dates.
Old 03 June 2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
That's basically the distinction that I understood. It seems that among women - mostly young women? - it has become the sort of general purpose insult that 'gay' has become amongst adolescents.
That is not what the study suggests. It is not a term detached from sexual behavior; it is a way to attack women in sexualized terms (because those terms are most powerful) for behavior deemed excessive or inappropriate primarily in order to distinguish it from one's own.

Quote:
I ahve a sense that there is a distinction between 'slut' and 'skank' but I cannot quite come up with anything that makes sense.
There are lots of terms for sexually active women.

Quote:
As for men, the traditional term was 'satyr', which is too darned classical and obscure to have any sort of the insulting impact of the female terms. 'Tomcat' used to be used, at least around the time of The Grapes of Wrath. More recently 'dog' is sometimes used, as in Criminal Minds, when Morgan started to get offended when Reid was talking about how many different women Morgan dates.
Do those really have the same valence?

Last edited by Chloe; 03 June 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:10 PM

Did you call it or what Chloe?
Old 03 June 2014, 04:11 PM

The correct term for a male slut is letch or letcher, but now obsolete in day to day use and would not carry the same negative meanings as it once did.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:13 PM

The real parallel for men and the word "slut" is "faggot", because being a slut is not about being promiscuous per se, it's about violating sexual stereotypes.