snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 29 January 2014, 07:52 PM

Fright 16-year-old girl falls 3,000 feet in skydiving accident -- and survives

A 16-year-old Texas girl who plummeted more than 3,000 feet to the ground in an Oklahoma skydiving accident survived and is recovering from her many injuries.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/16-year-...-and-survives/
Old 29 January 2014, 08:07 PM

Not only did I think skydivers had to be 18, but I also thought that your first jump could not be solo.

Quote:
"I don't think she should have been allowed at 16 to go up there and perform that type of jump, no matter what I say or she says, she shouldn't have been allowed," Joe Wethington said at the news conference.
Then why did you sign the consent form allowing her to participate.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:14 PM

I would guess most first-time jumpers go solo, static-line or not. Wait, are you using solo to mean as opposed to tandem, or without an instructor at all?
Old 29 January 2014, 08:15 PM

I'm guessing he didn't realize how dangerous it was. I don't think he or his daughter are entirely without responsibility, but there are certain risks we simply don't allow children to take, even with parental consent. Perhaps skydiving--at least solo--should be one of them.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Then why did you sign the consent form allowing her to participate.
After driving three hours to cross state lines, as his home state prohibits minors from solo jumps.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
I would guess most first-time jumpers go solo, static-line or not. Wait, are you using solo to mean as opposed to tandem, or without an instructor at all?
I've known a number of people who've skydived, and they were required to do a tandem jump their first time. I guess I never gave much thought to whether that would be a company regulation, or one by a governing association.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:50 PM

I don't know of any state that requires a tandem first jump. I suppose there might be local restrictions.

At one point tandem jumps were considered quite a lot less safe than solos, though I don't think they are now. They're also a lot more expensive (I can see why a lot of schools might encourage them). Static line is cheaper, but you get less free fall.
Old 29 January 2014, 08:50 PM

I don't see why 16 is too young to do something that's much much safer than driving a car. People need to stop having knee-jerk reactions to extremely unusual events.
Old 29 January 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't see why 16 is too young to do something that's much much safer than driving a car. People need to stop having knee-jerk reactions to extremely unusual events.
USPA reports that 2007 was one of the safest on record with 18 skydiver fatalities -- out of over 2.5 million jumps.
http://www.dropzone.com/news/General...Soars_684.html

2007, 1.36 Road fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles travelled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_U.S._by_year

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicle...0_fotw613.html
1.12 to 2.35 occupants per vehicle =
1.21 to 0.58 fatalities per person per 100 million miles.

"Typical jump altitudes in modern times for experienced skydivers range from 7,500 to 15,000 feet (2,300 to 4,600 metres) above ground level"
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...7909/skydiving

So 'best case scenario' 2.5 million jumps = 7.5 Million miles.

240 sky diver death per 100 million falling miles.
1.36 road fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles.
Old 29 January 2014, 11:49 PM

But cars drive more miles than skydivers fall.
Old 29 January 2014, 11:55 PM

Well, sure, if you only count the last five seconds it's more dangerous but if you count the whole thing - getting on the plane and going up and jumping, it's much safer.
Old 29 January 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
But cars drive more miles than skydivers fall.
The average single-trip distance? Just 5.95 miles
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ars-says-study
Old 29 January 2014, 11:57 PM

When people talk about sky diving being dangerous, I think they are only talking about the actual skydiving part, not the possibility of getting in a plane crash before the jump.
Old 30 January 2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses View Post
The average single-trip distance? Just 5.95 miles
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ars-says-study
And the average length of a skydive? People aren't dropping 6 miles, are they?
Old 30 January 2014, 12:13 AM

I don't think "falling miles" is the best comparison... How many fatalities would be expected from 2.5 million car journeys, as opposed to 2.5 million parachute jumps?

Using the figures above for deaths per vehicle mile and average journey length, I make it about 0.2 deaths per 2.5 million car journeys, as opposed to that figure of 18 deaths per 2.5 million parachute jumps (in a safe year).

So you're 90 times more likely to die on a typical parachute jump than during a typical car journey... that doesn't sound "much much safer" to me.
Old 30 January 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Well, sure, if you only count the last five seconds it's more dangerous but if you count the whole thing - getting on the plane and going up and jumping, it's much safer.
18/2.5mil . = 1 death per 140,000 jumps. ( or 138,888.8... ignoring siggy figgies.)

A full 8 hours of driving at 75.0 MPH = 600 miles.
100,000,000/ 600/1.36 = 1 death per 123,000 'driving days' vehicle
100,000,000/ 600/1.21 = 1 death per 138,000 driving days by person. (137741)

So making the huge stretch that only 1 jump per day, and a full working day of being on the road and the maximum speed in the USA, only rates driving +0.83% more dangerous.

http://www.instructorsacademy.com/be...mp-skydive/faq
  • How many jumps can I do per day?
    The number of daily jumps depends on you, your energy and physical condition (adrenaline takes a lot of energy) as well as your budget. Most students reach an average of 2-4 AFF jumps and an average of 3-5 consolidation jumps per day.

So a mimimum of 1 death per 28,000 jumping days.

A truck driver can drive 11 hours per day, lets even say they do it in Utah where the speed limit is 85mph. 935 miles a day.

100,000,000/935/1.36 = 1 Death every 78,641 working days.

Conclusion. Sky Diving is still at least 3 Times more dangerous.
Old 30 January 2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I've got to agree with you on that one. How many kids per year are injured by high school athletics such as cheerleading, gymnastics or football? When a teen athlete is injured we don't hear a chorus of "what parent would let a 16 year old cheer, quarterback, ect" when the number of teens hospitalized for those activities is measured in thousands per year.
Old 30 January 2014, 02:38 AM

Driving is an essential necessity for most people. It provides the freedom to live, work and shop where we choose. Notwithstanding that, aren't most goods transported across the US by "on-the-road" vehicles?

Skydiving is a non-essential hobby, and while the risk of injury is small, it only takes something very small to go wrong before it leads to near certain death. The same small fault in most other sports - like football or gymnastics - would only result in injury.

Auto-racing, skydiving, swimming with sharks - some people do these hobbies not merely for the thrill, but for bragging rights. They choose to do those things because they are dangerous, and go out of their way to tell others. I find this all to be rather childish - I know plenty of people who work in dangerous occupations - not for the thrill or bragging rights - but to make a living and provide for their families. I don't think too many people would choose to work on oil platforms or underground or building skyscrapers on the "high steel" if the dollars were equal. Dangerous, yes, but for the most part, anonymous. Maybe because it is, in a way, selfish - we laud those who put themselves at risk for the common good (i.e. soldiers, police, fire & rescue), but not those who choose dangerous work, simply to earn a better living.

Either way, all of the activities mentioned are perfectly safe, except when they are not. That is not by design, and I imagine it is possible to perform them for long periods of time without injury, but on the whole, I'd rather minimize the consequences of failure. If I took up, say, tightrope walking, I might do it 4 feet over my grass-covered backyard, than over a tank of sharks with frickin' laser beams. Man eating sharks that haven't been fed for a month at that.
Old 30 January 2014, 03:19 AM

I don't see what other people's prejudices about the sport have to do with it. All that nonsense about "doing it for the thrill" is just so much guessing about other people and nothing to do with reality. I have known several jumpers and none of them did it because they thought it was risky. On the contrary, they wouldn't have done it if they considered it dangerous.
Old 30 January 2014, 03:24 AM

Nevertheless, it's more dangerous than driving. Just admit you made a knee jerk statement about people's knee jerk reactions.

Unless you have a cite that refutes the numbers already presented.