snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 02 December 2013, 10:13 PM

I know a very mainstream-y woman who doesn't shave at all. Her hair is very light in color and fine in texture. You kind of have to touch her to know it's there.
Old 02 December 2013, 10:45 PM

I suspect most women wouldn't bother if their hair wasn't visible, either. The only women I know who shave or wax their arms, upper lips, stomachs, or breasts, are those whose hair is dark, thick, or otherwise visible in those areas. I rarely shave my thighs for that reason.
Old 02 December 2013, 11:02 PM

I'm not that far out of the mainstream. I don't have visible tattoos, or anything but my ears pierced. I dress pretty normally, and was mainstream enough to be a government lawyer. I'm also not a college student going through a phase or playing out some rebellious impulse.
Old 02 December 2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Or any number of small college towns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
Would you also say that it's related to age? I'm sure a lot of women who burned their bras during their college campus days, went back to wearing them (for whatever reason) once their protesting days were over.

I'm asking this as curiosity - and not judgment.
FWIW, when I said "college towns," I didn't mean just students, or even just people directly connected with the college or university.
Old 03 December 2013, 02:57 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I'm not that far out of the mainstream. I don't have visible tattoos, or anything but my ears pierced. I dress pretty normally, and was mainstream enough to be a government lawyer. I'm also not a college student going through a phase or playing out some rebellious impulse.
And now you are a woman who doesn't shave her legs or armpits?

If there's a point to your post, I'm missing it.
Old 03 December 2013, 03:04 AM

You seemed to be suggesting that women who didn't shave their legs or armpits were out of the mainstream, and were instead part of a sub-culture including piercings and tattoos, and/or were going through a college-age phase. I was pointing out that I don't fit that profile, and I've already mentioned that I don't shave my legs or armpits. And I haven't for many many years.
Old 03 December 2013, 03:39 AM

I forgot the issue of visibility. As Avril mentioned, there are very fair-haired women who don't shave their body hair, because, well, they don't really have any that is visible. What they have isn't visible. And I mentioned that women in northern climates, for most of the year, are covered up by seasonally-appropriate clothing.
Old 03 December 2013, 03:46 AM

I'm quite hirsute, and I at least groom, occasionally shaving my chest and waxing my back as well as trimming up my pubic area. I find it to be more comfortable.